F-15C 80-0048 57th FIS

This is the first project I have shared at ARC. I have already shared it on Facebook.

I am putting together a single 1/48 scale F-15C, using three kits -- the Monogram F-15C, the Revell F-15E, and the Hasegawa F-15E. I will also be using an old Microscale decal sheet. The 57th flew with CFTs as standard. 

The 15C kit has good shape, bu
t crappy details. So, I am using the 15E for better detailed parts and the CFTs. I am using the Hasegawa kit for the AIM-7 sway braces.

I have rescribed the panel lines on the fuselage so far and I have assembled the ejection seat. I need to get painting.

I took photos, but I need to resize them in Photoshop apparently. More to follow...

I don't know if this will help or not, but I took these pics 20+ years ago when the 57th was getting ready to disestablish. What I wouldn't give to go back to that day with my DSLR, or even my cell phone camera...

ISF15CA_zpsb24c07b2.jpgISF15CB_zpsa4965fcd.jpgISF15CC_zps7ebe290b.jpg

On November 21, 2016 at 6:55 AM, scotthldr said:

The F-15C used the Fast-Pac system, these if I'm not mistaken have a different weapon pylon set up from the F-15E CFT's. although the CFT's in the Hasegawa F-15E kit are infact Fast-Pac's.

Fast Pacs were not used on the F-15, they are all CFT's. The E model would have a differant weapons configuration due to the different mission, air to mud. We did have theCFT's configured for Aim-7 loasdinf with LAU-106 launchers and eagle claws. 

CFT's are all the same when it comes to shape, just the stub pylons are different for weapons configuration.

4 minutes ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

Fast Pacs were not used on the F-15, they are all CFT's.

Thank you.  For those that have some questions about it, every single publication for both the maintainers and operators refers to them as CFTs, and the switches in the cockpit to feed them are also labeled "CFT".  The FAST (Fuel And Sensor Tactical) packs were never more than a proposal.

Regards,

Murph

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

Some detail shots of a 57th FIS F-15D. It.may give you some details for the CFTs:

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/DDonSS3/library/F-15C Eagle

155.jpg

DonSS3 - at risk of hijacking the thread, I'm hoping you might be able to clear up a question about the 57FIS Eagles for me.  The inside tail markings seem to have varied at times, but most frequently seen (when applied) is an outline of Iceland in black with an eagle's head superimposed. This has been duplicated in at least a couple of aftermarket decal sheets, but most if not all of these seem to mirror the marking from one side to the other. Obviously that keeps the eagle facing forward, but it means the map of Iceland is reversed on one tail. Is this how the markings were applied in reality? I've done image searches in the past but never found anything definitive - either there's no mark on the inboard starboard,  it's wearing an alternate mark (e.g.  the wolf's head), or that side isn't visible.  Any chance you can shed any light on this? Your photobucket album shows port inboard with the "correct" marking, but I didn't see anything for the other fin.  Thanks much for any clarification you can offer.

Sunday's progress

IMG_20161204_133040103_zpsydfuemp7.jpgIMG_20161204_133251142_zpsadiouzkz.jpgIMG_20161204_140146177_zpsjvmkzoky.jpgIMG_20161204_140230196_zpswtzobwyb.jpg

Since I am using three models from the stash to build this one, a friend suggested that I tell my wife that. I thought it was a good idea and that I should get to buy three new models. I asked my oldest son what he thought of that plan. He said he would make the popcorn.

Sorry, Quixote, I really don't know the answer to your question. I wasn't attached to the USAF,  just took the opportunity to get these pics at a static display when I was stationed in Keflavik.

On December 5, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Quixote74 said:

DonSS3 - at risk of hijacking the thread, I'm hoping you might be able to clear up a question about the 57FIS Eagles for me.  The inside tail markings seem to have varied at times, but most frequently seen (when applied) is an outline of Iceland in black with an eagle's head superimposed. This has been duplicated in at least a couple of aftermarket decal sheets, but most if not all of these seem to mirror the marking from one side to the other. Obviously that keeps the eagle facing forward, but it means the map of Iceland is reversed on one tail. Is this how the markings were applied in reality? I've done image searches in the past but never found anything definitive - either there's no mark on the inboard starboard,  it's wearing an alternate mark (e.g.  the wolf's head), or that side isn't visible.  Any chance you can shed any light on this? Your photobucket album shows port inboard with the "correct" marking, but I didn't see anything for the other fin.  Thanks much for any clarification you can offer.

Wings markings on the 57th birds varied but yes they were reversed on the jets so the eagle was always facing forward.  But with all tail markings like the 1st TFW's "Eagle in bondage" it was painted on one day when the higher brass did not like it and had it painted off! Egland's, Kadena's, Elmendorfs, Tyndall, Nellis and Bitburgs stuck IIRC. It does seem to become more common currently but I can't recall too many Wings having the internal tail markings, might of missed one but the F-15 world was small back then. We would do rotations to Incerlik to support them toward the end and when their jets were transferred out varied wings would support alert stance there. 

On December 5, 2016 at 5:31 AM, admiralcag said:

Photos finally up. These are from my first build session a couple of weeks ago. Pics from yesterday's session forthcoming.

Vern

Can I ask why did you mutilate the E model by cutting out the wheel wells? Level out the main gear doors would of sufficed.

19 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

AdmiralCAG, I made on deployment with VP-23 in the mid-late 80s, then I was stationed at COMFAIRKEF from late 92 until the middle of 95.

Cool! I was at the 56th ARS from April of '90 to '92. Without weapons, it's just another ambulance service!

3 hours ago, admiralcag said:

Cool! I was at the 56th ARS from April of '90 to '92. Without weapons, it's just another ambulance service!

Yeah, but those guys (especially the PJs) did some amazing work in some really appalling weather. I remember seeing video of them rescuing a guy from a ship (fishing or freighter, I can't recall) with like 20-30 foot seas. Yikes, better them than me! IIRC they also had to refuel on the way out AND on the way back!

Here's one of your old birds:

628.jpg

Here's more pics if you're interested:

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/DDonSS3/library/HH-60G Pave Hawk

• 2 months later...

I have finally gotten some more work done. I actually misplaced it during a massive house clean-up and it delayed me for a while.

The gear bays, shaped and painted.

32850351851_fda9cd3a02_k.jpg

Installed. Not perfect, but I will work on it.

32850910741_6f7ef5d4aa_k.jpg

The ejection seat. This is the first time I used Perfect Plastic Putty. Turned out pretty good.

32593978650_e54bc41873_k.jpg

And the interior green.

32975005005_e8fa1c01fe_k.jpg

32974993295_def11ae202_k.jpg

More to follow...

Vern

3 hours ago, admiralcag said:

I have finally gotten some more work done. I actually misplaced it during a massive house clean-up and it delayed me for a while.

The gear bays, shaped and painted.

32850351851_fda9cd3a02_k.jpg

Installed. Not perfect, but I will work on it.

32850910741_6f7ef5d4aa_k.jpg

The ejection seat. This is the first time I used Perfect Plastic Putty. Turned out pretty good.

32593978650_e54bc41873_k.jpg

And the interior green.

32975005005_e8fa1c01fe_k.jpg

32974993295_def11ae202_k.jpg

More to follow...

Vern

Bay 5 (the area behind the cockpit) should be gloss white.  FY 79 and earlier used the metallic green, and FY 80 and later jets used gloss white.

Regards,

Murph