Lydia Litvyak's Yak-1

Here is my second project for the 'Build a Bear' group build. It is a little easier than the MiG but in now way less interesting. If you are not familiar with Lydia Litvyak's story it is worth checking out. Here is a quick summary of her career: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/litvyak.html 

I will be building the venerable Accurate Miniatures kit. I have a few Quickboost add ons as well. I intend to put this airplane with an accompanying resin likeness of Litvyak on a display base with a plaque. I need to procure that part but I am ready to build!

IMG_6575_zpsrqyixdxa.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I really should have kept up with my progress but after the MiG this little Yak just went so fast!

These Accurate Miniatures kits are interesting. There are no more thorough instructions on the face of the earth!  The fit is good and the detail is great. The clear pieces are in need of improvement. But the interior went together well. I like the clear instrument panel with the decal dial faces. 

IMG_6601_zpsz7qjfco8.jpg

IMG_6600_zpslrhin07x.jpg

IMG_6599_zpswm23hqk0.jpg

I then assembled the kit which went together really well. I used Stynalrez black as a primer and I can't say enough good things about this stuff. It is awesome. I will never use another primer ever!

IMG_6611_zpsf6icfz9f.jpg

Then the camouflage. Black, green and blue. I guess Russia looks weird. 

IMG_6613_zps6zz3souv.jpg

Then some chipping with a silver pencil.

IMG_6614_zpso1slyap2.jpg

Future and Decals

IMG_6615_zpsdtiki256.jpg

I had a few snafus including losing a formation light. I ended up trimming up the leftover canopy into something that would work then sanding and repairing the wing. 

IMG_6653_zpsr0uyblyv.jpg

I just need to finish my pilot figure!