F-14A of VF-1 - which low-viz paint scheme on this one?

Can't really stand those early VF-1 Tomcats in their red markings but this one is interesting and it seems suitable for the Tamiya Tomcat.

Any suggestions for paint scheme?

The decal instruction fails to mention any colors.

Surely not a TPS variant but perhaps overall FS36440?

BCE31074-85BC-49F7-BD28-6F48645EDDEC.jpg

The actual decals are black, but I must say I have only ever seen low-viz VF-1 birds wearing dark gray markings.

5F9F48F8-13DB-4976-A6B2-CEFE4461465D.jpg

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
3 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

Hi Anders, I have the same sheet. The instructions actually do state all airframes overall Lt Gull grey. Look in the stencil placement area.

Hmm... I thought I checked the stencil area too but apparently not enough! :)

I will have to check the instruction again when I get home. Thanks!

1 hour ago, AndreaH2O said:

Remember that is a Blk.115 aircraft. You must add the ECM bumps and the TCS under the nose and replace wheels and the tail stiffener plates to accurately reproduce it

andrea

Ah yes, now I make the connection between the smaller "115" and the relevant block. I sort of suspected that Superscale never really bothered to update their decal profiles to reflect those detail differences.

And while I have a few pics (in the book "The Cutting Edge") of low-viz VF-1 Tomcats with the original pod, I do have most of the small stuff lying around, should I go with the current Tomcat kit.

Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
2 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

That's a good choice for markings. I really want the markings from the book Cutting Edge. The closest that come to it are in one of the Fujimi releases, but they are black instead of dark gray. That book is what got me hooked on the Tomcat.

Yes, it's a great title allaround. Lovely photos.

By Fujimi, I assume you mean their 48th scale Tomcat?

7 minutes ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Yes, it's a great title allaround. Lovely photos.

By Fujimi, I assume you mean their 48th scale Tomcat?

Yup, the 1/48 scale kit has those markings. Here they are:

5461970_orig.jpg?198

Take a look in the Display Case under the Turkey Day heading. You'll see a lot of F-14's. :-)

Edited by Darren Roberts
6 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Thanks Darren! :thumbsup:

May I ask which shade you used, Lt Gull Gray (FS 36440)?

It looks kind of blueish and just like the shade I see in photos of VF-1 low-viz Tomcats (as per "The Cutting Edge" for example.)

I use the same Gull Gray on all my builds: Model Master Acryl. I absolutely love it. It's almost a perfect match to my FS chart. For the VF-1 build I lightly misted Tamiya Smoke and then went back over it with fresh Gull Gray. Gull Gray should in fact be a brownish hue. Be careful of looking at pictures. There are many variables that can affect the overall look of the color. Exposure, lighting, weather conditions. If you look at the book Tomcat Alley, there are pictures right next to each other that look like completely different colors, yet they are both Gull Gray. It should not have a blue hue, but should lean towards the brownish hue. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/24/2016 at 9:17 AM, Darren Roberts said:

That's a good choice for markings. I really want the markings from the book Cutting Edge. The closest that come to it are in one of the Fujimi releases, but they are black instead of dark gray. That book is what got me hooked on the Tomcat.

That was the first book I ever choose for myself when I was a little kid! I even remember that I got it a Sam's Club.

4 hours ago, mouseeaters said:

What is the gray on Wichita´s markings?

They aren´t black... FS 36118, FS 36237?

Should it be the same as the gray on Bunny? (first post decal)

Are the Tomcat 36440 overall?

p2141785278-3.jpg

That scheme is overall 36440. The markings are in 36081 (Engine Gray...or is it Euro I Gray?)

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

That scheme is overall 36440. The markings are in 36081 (Engine Gray...or is it Euro I Gray?)

Thanks Darren. 

3 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Btw, those VF-1 markings look simple enough to paint on using a set of custom cut masks.

Now if someone would create the masks... 😏

I have made my own decals and I am working on the markings, for my 1/144 personal collection.

WhatsApp Image 2018-11-21 at 21.40.05.jpeg