1/48 slime lights for Academy F-4 Phantom available?

Hello all,

I own the F-4D Phantom 2 limited edition of the Academy kit. Unfortunately, the slime lights are only provided as decals. So my question is, if there are any PE options.

Thanks.

Thomas

the only PE parts for Phantom slim lights i'm aware of are on the old 1/48 F-4E external set for the hasegawa phantom set.(also included in the J/S and IDF RF-4E set also...but all for the hasegawa kit....) ...too bad they didn't included those on the new frets dedicated to academy 1/48 phantoms kits...:angry:

Edited by mingwin

Hi Thomas,

I thought the only difference between the Academy F-4C and F-4D kit was the inclusion of photo etched formation lights with the D. That must have only been the Korean Air Force version of the kit.

In 1/48, the formation lights on an F-4 would be more or less flush with the surface, so you can probably get away with just using the decals. The real ones stuck out from the surface <1/4" (5-6 mm), so most photo etched parts stand too proud. I once used .005 styrene for some 1/32 lights. If you want raised light strips in 1/48, perhaps you could cut some from aluminum foil or thin paper that is <0.005" and apply decals over them.   

Ben

1 hour ago, mingwin said:

the only PE parts for Phantom slim lights i'm aware of are on the old 1/48 F-4E external set for the hasegawa phantom set. ...too bad they didn't included those on the new frets dedicated to academy 1/48 phantoms kits...:angry:

And that pe set only includes the fuselage lights, so you still have none for the tail. I recently used it on my F-4g kit and I think they look just right. 

1 hour ago, Nathant said:

And that pe set only includes the fuselage lights, so you still have none for the tail. I recently used it on my F-4g kit and I think they look just right. 

no, they are there, i've used them on one of my F4C build. the 2 cells frames goes front, the 3 cells frames goes on the sides, and the 4 cells frames goes on the tails.

i also do recommend the Steel Beach vinyl slime light with the eduard PE fret

Edited by mingwin
On 11/25/2016 at 9:23 AM, Thomas said:

Hello all,

I own the F-4D Phantom 2 limited edition of the Academy kit. Unfortunately, the slime lights are only provided as decals. So my question is, if there are any PE options.

Thanks.

Thomas

I think Steel Beach (Darren Roberts) makes the best slime lights in 1/48. However, if for some reason you don't want to purchase his, then there are many aftermarket decal sheets that have correct & nice slime lights that might suit your needs. There are too many to list right now. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

3 hours ago, Gunny said:

I think Steel Beach (Darren Roberts) makes the best slime lights in 1/48. However, if for some reason you don't want to purchase his, then there are many aftermarket decal sheets that have correct & nice slime lights that might suit your needs. There are too many to list right now. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

The issue isn't the decals. It's that that the lights themselves are mounted on raised fraiming that is pronounced enough that it should be depicted in 1 48 scale, and decals alone aren't enough. 

Edited by Nathant
2 hours ago, Nathant said:

The issue isn't the decals. It's that that the lights themselves are mounted on raised fraiming that is pronounced enough that it should be depicted in 1 48 scale, and decals alone aren't enough. 

There are PE parts available from a few makers-chiefly eduard offers some in their many 1/48 F-4 PE sets. However, as has been previously mentioned, they are too prominent for 1/48. The formation light "framing" should almost be flush with the fuselage. This framing is not in proper proportion using the PE on a 1/48 scale kit.

YMMV.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny

Thanks for all the replies. It seems, the only option is the PE set for the Hasegawa Phantom.  It would have been nice, if Academy would have included them.

I am not sure, if PE ones would be too prominent, as 5-6mm are 0,10-0,125mm in 1/48. Eduard PE is 0,15mm, so it´s in my OK range.

Thomas

On 11/25/2016 at 11:00 AM, Ben Brown said:

Hi Thomas,

I thought the only difference between the Academy F-4C and F-4D kit was the inclusion of photo etched formation lights with the D. That must have only been the Korean Air Force version of the kit.

In 1/48, the formation lights on an F-4 would be more or less flush with the surface, so you can probably get away with just using the decals. The real ones stuck out from the surface <1/4" (5-6 mm), so most photo etched parts stand too proud. I once used .005 styrene for some 1/32 lights. If you want raised light strips in 1/48, perhaps you could cut some from aluminum foil or thin paper that is <0.005" and apply decals over them.   

Ben

Was there another version of the F-4D besides the Korean F-4D?

On 11/25/2016 at 11:00 AM, Ben Brown said:

I think in almost any scale, going with PE will be unsat.   The thickness of a decal is more appropriate than PE, even in 32nd.  

12 minutes ago, Gene K said:

So why is everyone ignoring the Steel Beach vinyl? Sounds ideal (no, I don't have any).

Gene K

it's just because you didn't care to read... they are mentioned at least 3 times... otherwise, the OP said he wasn't satisfied with decals, and asked for anyone who'd make PE parts for those. BTW, PE frame for slime lights looks absolutely great on a 1/48 models, it might be "overscale" in thickness for some, but honnestly, 0,03 mm thick PE part... rivets are more deep than that on most modern scale models!!!

Edited by mingwin
On 11/26/2016 at 8:09 PM, Gunny said:

There are PE parts available from a few makers-chiefly eduard offers some in their many 1/48 F-4 PE sets. However, as has been previously mentioned, they are too prominent for 1/48. The formation light "framing" should almost be flush with the fuselage. This framing is not in proper proportion using the PE on a 1/48 scale kit.

YMMV.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

I'm not aware of any other Manufacturer's options other than Eduard? Airwaves, Lion roar, Part??? I don't think so? Also, the framing isn't even close to flush on the fuselage, although I suppose whether PE is too thick or not is up to personal taste...I wish there were more PE options, as buying a whole pe set for 20-35 bucks is ridiculous for only 4 parts. (I don't like to use pe otherwise, so a whole Eduard Exterior set is useless to me).

Thomas,

With WIngDings permission :rolleyes:, let me offer a couple of non-PE alternatives:

1) I can work up and cut vinyl frames for you using my Silhouette cutter. They would be easy to apply precisely (as over a suitably colored decal) using clear transfer tape.

2) A better alternative could be frames cut from the thinnest plastic I have -- .005" . That thickness is the same as typical Eduard PE, and I personally think that thickness is "fine" as it represents the raised formation lights better than flat decals alone. If you wanted these plastic frames even thinner, I suppose you could sand them ... . 

Eduard 1_48 Slime Lights (Copy).jpg

If you'd like to pursue one of these options, please PM me.

Gene K

maybe the easiest/cheapest way around would be to use decal slime lights...with decals underlay(s)... (white or clear decal sheets, cutted the size of the slime light)...just to give a little more thickness.

BTW Gene, i was not doing any Mod job, just saying that if you didn't see that SB vinyl lights where mentioned 3 times in the 14 previous posts (the whole thread before you post...and no post by strato... that would justify to skip down...) maybe you'd missed the part of the OP where he was asking for PE solutions...  

Edited by mingwin
On 6.12.2016 at 6:43 AM, GEH737 said:

I'm sure not all Phantoms are the same - but there are instances where having the formation lights raised slightly from the surface would be appropriate (in my opinion)

Therefore I will go the Eduard route. These pictures illustrate it very well. Thanks for posting them!

Thomas

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 1:14 PM, Thomas said:

Therefore I will go the Eduard route.

Thomas, another option, if you haven't aleady gotten the Eduard set, is the Strip Lights in the outstanding new Zuki Mura F-4J kit. If you don't intend to buy the kit, you could ask someone who has and is not going to use the lights. They are fairly thin, and would be easy to thin even more with a little sanding.

ZM%20Strip%20Lights%20Small.jpg

Gene K