P40E colour sceme I'm looking for!

11 hours ago, Silenoz said:

maybe... Your question made me do a search in my stash and there I've found a N version:

120263-10518-pristine.jpg

and this one happens to be depicted in the comic Angel wings... mhhh I feel another project in the assembly line

Obviously wouldn't be able to do it with my kit but it's a nice scheme anyway so be a good project for you..   

6 hours ago, Nightfighter said:

Ok what about this?   What's the closest mark to the E?   Obviously the N etc has a totally different cockpit window but is there a different mark in the scheme I want that's very close to an E?  One that I could do without much modification?

I think the two "closest" variants to the E would be the early F and the early K. Both had the short fuselage as found on the E (horizontal tail lined up with fin/rudder). Later Fs and Ks had the lengthened fuselage—which would be a major modification—as did all subsequent variants.

A short fuselage F would involve at least a whole new forward fuselage with deeper chin intake fairing and without the dorsal intake since it was powered by a Merlin engine.

A short fuselage K would involve at least a new fin with a rounded fairing from the rear fuselage, as well as a broader chord rudder.

Bottom line, an E really only builds conveniently as an E without cross-kitting or surgery.

19 hours ago, seawinder said:

I think the two "closest" variants to the E would be the early F and the early K. Both had the short fuselage as found on the E (horizontal tail lined up with fin/rudder). Later Fs and Ks had the lengthened fuselage—which would be a major modification—as did all subsequent variants.

A short fuselage F would involve at least a whole new forward fuselage with deeper chin intake fairing and without the dorsal intake since it was powered by a Merlin engine.

A short fuselage K would involve at least a new fin with a rounded fairing from the rear fuselage, as well as a broader chord rudder.

Bottom line, an E really only builds conveniently as an E without cross-kitting or surgery.

Cheers for that.   Sigh......looks like I can forget an authentic WW2 scheme with the red nose.   There is however a scheme that's very tempting.........

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/newsletter/news0804.shtml

the 2nd, 6th and 7th aircraft (with the red roundels on white stars).    I take it those are genuine documented schemes?

Edited by Nightfighter

I don't have enough expertise to challenge it, but the article appears to be well researched and reliable.

How about an Aleutian Tiger? Yellow nose, red bordered insignia, white stripes, and of course the tiger: about as colorful as you're likely to find. BarracudaCals has it in 1/32 on their sheet no. 32006. Here's the link to the page at Barracuda:

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BC32006

As you'll see, there's also a rather plain OD/NG bird, "TARHEEL," from the 49th FG, which has that cool green dragon on the forward starboard side.

7 hours ago, seawinder said:

I don't have enough expertise to challenge it, but the article appears to be well researched and reliable.

How about an Aleutian Tiger? Yellow nose, red bordered insignia, white stripes, and of course the tiger: about as colorful as you're likely to find. BarracudaCals has it in 1/32 on their sheet no. 32006. Here's the link to the page at Barracuda:

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BC32006

As you'll see, there's also a rather plain OD/NG bird, "TARHEEL," from the 49th FG, which has that cool green dragon on the forward starboard side.

Well those are nice schemes so thanks for that.    Funnily enough this reviewer of Hasegawa's kit paints half the nose red for Tarheel.

http://replicainscale.blogspot.co.uk/2010_10_01_archive.html

whether that's accurate or not I don't know but it's interesting what he says.

I thought Robert Scott painted the spinner on "Old Exterminator" different colors over time so that the Japanese would think it wasn't just one plane. So how many different colors did he have? OD, gray, white, blue....red maybe?