Horizon Models 1/72 Atlas D ICBM build

Hi Folks,

I wanted to share with you here my build of the new 1/72 Horizon Models Atlas D ICBM kit.  My impressions of the kit are very favorable.  It is a fairly easy and quick build with few exceptions.

The model is build in several sub-assemblies.  First off was to glue the three exhaust nozzles together.  This is one of my few complaints.  It was difficult dress the seams on both first stage nozzles and keep the rib detail intact.  

IMG_6924_zpsfbkh0vit.jpg

The first stage was also glued together and this time and the seams and sink marks addressed:

IMG_6925_zpsqhowlhjd.jpg

The Mk 3 retry vehicle was also glued together.

IMG_6927_zpsxiutkcrw.jpg

Once those were glued, they were set aside and worked turned to the main body of the missile.  Pay attention to the excellent instructions here and open up several holes that you will need later one.

IMG_6926_zpstgsjg5ri.jpg

More later.  I hope this turns out okay, I miss the preview feature here...

-Derek

Edited by viking73

Good start so far! Those seams are always a real beeoch to get rid of ain't they? The vain of a space modeler's existence! Looks like a really nice kit though, I'll have to pick one up. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comment Hotdog.   Yes, the seams can be a pain at times for something like this.  But I just try and dress them as best as I can and move forward.

The good thing on the main body seam is that one side is going to be completely covered with the long equipment pod and some tubing.  The other side with the smaller pod will need some more attention.  Here's some shot of both sides:

IMG_6939_zpsgt2tzara.jpg

IMG_6941_zpsfwg1noip.jpg

I'm using bondo for the first coat, after sanding I use Tamiya Surface Primer and also super glue to get rid of any pin holes.  Then I re-scribed the missing panel lines with a sewing needle chucked into a pin vise.

Once everything was smoothed over, I glued on the long equipment pod and the pipes:

IMG_6942_zpsvyhgytkt.jpg

While that was drying, I painted the re-entry vehicle gloss white and set it aside to dry:

243b7735-babd-45c3-a652-5fbd1c3166fa_zps

That's about it for now.  This kit is going together pretty quickly and very smoothly.  I hope to get the main missile body primed today along with the first stage.  If they look good, I'll get them painted soon.

More later, thanks for looking!

-Derek

Edited by viking73

Good Morning -

Another small update on this one.  It's going together pretty quickly.  I used Tamiya fine white primer for the missile body to check the seams:

IMG_6952_zpsocppzyta.jpg

IMG_6950_zpsg1u4uspj.jpg

I had to fix a few things and also work on rescribing the lost panel lines.  I'm not getting everything all polished up with 1000 - 3000 grit sandpaper to get rid of all the scratches.  Then some micro mesh pads to finish things up.

The first stage is also together now:

IMG_6949_zpsp9zm5fvk.jpg

It's supposed to warm up here this weekend so I'm hoping to shoot some Floquil Bright Silver for the main body, not sure about the first stage yet.

More soon...

-Derek

Thanks Hotdog.  Yes, you need to buy one of these kits!  The more they sell, I think the more inclined they will be to produce the Atlas F, Titan I, and Titan II ICBM kits!  Fingers crossed as I would buy them all.  I would have to buy multiple Atlas F kits to build and give as gifts to some friends that own and live in/on the decommissioned sites around Dyess AFB.  But that's a different story!

Getting back to the build, it is looking killer already as I was able to shoot some paint :

IMG_6961_zpseeyrapds.jpg

Here is the main missile body after I sprayed it with Floquil Bright Silver.  Man I miss this paint.  It's my last jar :(

I'm painting the nose and first stage with Model Master aluminum and steel as they aren't as bright as the body of the Atlas.

Decals are coming very soon!

-Derek

Another update on this one.

The kit decals are really nice to work with.  They seem very comprehensive and include a lot of stenciling which look great when applied.

Here are some shots of the main missile body.  You have to open some holes for some piping that runs along the side of the missile.  Before this piping is installed, you need to apply the decals.  I used that pipe to ensure things lined up before I locked the decal in place.

IMG_6989_zpsmqho9bpo.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the alignment, it looked like this:

IMG_6990_zpsl3i9um95.jpg

Here is the finished top of the missile:

IMG_7050_zpsrbe1wrig.jpg

And the nearly completed first stage:

IMG_7051_zpsimvzxfny.jpg

This one will be done soon, stay tuned!

-Derek

It is a really great kit Hotdog!  I sure hope they do some more ICBM kits...!  The Mercury-Redstone they just announced is wonderful I'm sure but, I was really hoping for a Gemini-Titan so the Titan ICBM would be on the way.  Hopefully in the near future...

At any rate, I'm getting close to the finish line now with this one.  The kit decals performed flawlessly.  Even the decals that you wrap over the piping.  I was very happy with them.

Here is the first and second stage joined.  I've added the piping and exhaust tubes now, being very careful not to mar the natural metal finish with any excess glue.  I drilled them out but you won't really notice it once the missile is displayed in my opinion.

IMG_7052_zpsnpb3azyj.jpg

The end is in sight, hopefully with my next post!

-Derek

Edited by viking73

I started work on the Mercury Atlas last week. Very nicely designed kit. Yes, the seams are a little annoying, but not impossible to deal with an I also love the fact that over half of them on the main body are covered up by the tunnel rail on one side.

Beautiful job on yours BTW. I picked up the ICBM Atlas kit as well and it is very tempting to build one. Although I might also try my hand at doing an Atlas Agena.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks for the comment Jay.  Glad to hear you bought one of the ICBM kits.  As I've said before, I do hope they sell well so Horizon will make more ICBM kits in the near future.

I'm calling this one done.  It was a pleasure to build and I look forward to building more Horizon kits.

IMG_7079-crop_zpsi87vegal.jpg

IMG_7080_zps0u8i6cs0.jpg

IMG_7081-crop_zps8ponxeh8.jpg

IMG_7082-crop_zpsactwipqi.jpg

IMG_7083-crop_zps3k057c5p.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality.  It was too windy for my background when shot these photos.

Best regards and thanks for looking!

-Derek