On November 27, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Prototype F-15's were A models, the 2 seaters were TF-15. At present there are only 2 accurate A models, the best would be the new GWH kit and the very old  Monogram Kit from the late 70's. The Hasegawa Kit would have to be backdated to reflect an A model. I have seen some nice work done on the very old Tamiya A model. The Hasegawa streak Eagle kit is still a C model, no A model wheels, speed rake aft fairing , etc......

Edited by Ol Crew Dog
Missed spelling

I'm by no means an expert but I do know that the first F-15A's had squared off wingtips, a small air brake, and no dogtooth leading edges on the horizonal tails.  They also still had the turkey feathers on the engine nozzles and large antennas on both vertical tails and the nose mounted test boom .  I'm sure there are other external differences but others will have to help for those.  It may be difficult to convert but anything is possible.  Good luck!

Edited by fasteagle12
54 minutes ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

Prototype F-15's were A models, the 2 sweaters were TF-15. At present there are only 2 accurate A models, the best would be the new GWH kit and the very old  Monogram Kit from the late 70's. The Hasegawa Kit would have to be backdated to reflect an A model. I have seen some nice work done on the very old Tamiya A model. The Hasegawa streak Eagle kit is still a C model, no A model wheels, speed rake aft fairing , etc......

I'm not seeing an F-15A on the GWH web site or their Facebook page.  

4 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

Didn't Revell do a 1/72 F-15 which was based on the prototype?

Monogram. I had one around '75-'76. Air Superiority blue, square wingtips, dogtooth horizontals, IA tail codes.

121799-10189.jpg

Edited by IAGeezer
Added photo

I built that kit in my first model life. I saw the "prototypes" in Airpower magazine and tried to replicate one. I didn't know about modding or bashing back then so it was out of the box painted with the colors I had that came somewhat close to matching.  Like my Revell 1:32 P-38J painted up like YIPPEE, Testors red with clumsy hand-painted white letters.  Again, seen in Airpower magazine.

I want to build the 1:48 Eagle this time.

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I built that kit in my first model life. I saw the "prototypes" in Airpower magazine and tried to replicate one. I didn't know about modding or bashing back then so it was out of the box painted with the colors I had that came somewhat close to matching.  Like my Revell 1:32 P-38J painted up like YIPPEE, Testors red with clumsy hand-painted white letters.  Again, seen in Airpower magazine.

I want to build the 1:48 Eagle this time.

F-15 A to C, A type prior to MISIP and C model initial production. Nose to Tail
Early C Models and A models were almost indistinguishable. I was a Crew Chief on A models 80 – 84 in the 27th TFS, 1TFW, 76-0057 was my first hog. Got my first C model 82-0019 in 83 with 12.7 hours from Micky D’s.
1.    Majority of the cockpit remained the same with only minor instrumentation upgrades through the years.
2.    HUD and HUD combing glass went through an upgrade in 82 to accept the EagleEye scope, home made to mount to the side of the combing glass to slide a rifle scope on for visual identification.
3.    The early C models had the same cockpit configuration as the A model until after MISIP in the late 80’s.
4.    ESCAPAC seats were initially installed but changed out before 1980 on active duty aircraft with the ACESII Seat. The ACESII seat was basic with no major mods till much later in the seats career.
5.    Bay 5 was Metallic Green Color, much to the disbelief of many this was not painted white later in the A models career. This metallic green can be found in the avionics bays of all F-15’s. This Color carried on into the initial batch of C models’ my C model at Kadena 78-0479 still had a Green Bay 5.
6.    There was no set up for the ICS boxes that go in Bay5 on the C models.
7.    A models did not go through MISIP till later in their career, after the C models went through except for certain intercept squadron aircraft.
8.    Aileron actuator panels do not have the pronounced bulges as this denotes a modification of the addition of a hydraulic reducing valve which did not happen till C model production.
9.    Both LVS and RVS (left vertical stab and right vertical stab) are missing the beef up plates for the top bullets torque boxes did not come about till the late 80’s.
10.    Pnl  128 or tail hook fairing was not removed till after Desert Storm.
11.    Turkey Feathers were removed on the Nozzles starting in 79 through 82, I have the scars to prove that from snapping off the finger seals while doing my BPO.
12.    Sabre drains (sharp as hell redundant fibreglass drains) on the aft Engine Bay panels were there till after Desert Storm.
13.    JSF Exhaust still had a metal Louver, this was not moved till after Desert Storm..
14.    Wheels and Brakes were modified to the type you see today on C model production, A models had the star pattern type wheel and most did not receive the new type after going through MISIP in the 90’s.
15.    The wheel wells were that funky metallic green Color as well, I remember this because hooking up the hydraulic test stand the connections were in the main wheel wells and the hydraulic fluid caused the paint to peel around the connections getting the metallic green paint all over my gloves...
16.    No chaff and flare mods installed under the intake on A models.
17.    COMM panel on the A model was further forward on the left intake bottom and square, the C model COMM panel was rectangular and further aft, both were hinged at the front of the panel.
18.    No ICS antennae’s behind the nose gear door and in between the blade or UHF antennae’s. 
19.    The rectangular blade antennae’s on the canopy hump aft of the canopy were the only half type used till the early 90’s when these were hard to replace so a suitable sub was found which turned into the shark ant you see today.
20.    There were panel changes over the years but this would not be noticeable in smaller scales and only to someone intamite with the F-15. Any questions or you want me to elaborate anything feel free to ask.

21. Preproduction and initial production batches had the short speedbrake (retrofitted to the longer speedbrake) .

22. Also on the NASA birds they had on the Both Vertical Stabs counterbalances, the ALQ ant was missing along with all other antenae's. 

23. Wheels could be painted black, silver or white on the mains and the nose, these could be an intermix on all wheels.

24. Wing tips were different shapes on the NASA and preproduction birds due to testing different configurations for efficiency, they were made out of plywood for easy and cheap changes. The NASA bird on the pedestal at Langley flew in with plywood wing tips, saw this with my own eyes.

as memories come back to me I will add to this list, if you notice anything I missed let me know.

Cheers
Dave

17 hours ago, X-Plane Fan said:

These might help a bit.

Tony

f15-3.jpg

Hey Tony, is this panel configuration from when the F-15 was undergoing original flight tests, or is it from when NASA had it? I am now interested in doing a jet like this after seeing all these cool orange lined test instruments present in the cockpit.

29 minutes ago, Jay Chladek said:

Hey Tony, is this panel configuration from when the F-15 was undergoing original flight tests, or is it from when NASA had it? I am now interested in doing a jet like this after seeing all these cool orange lined test instruments present in the cockpit.

When I worked the E demonstrator it had the same orange sealant around the istrumentation, must a McAir test anti vibration thing.

20 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Thanks, OCD. I was unaware of the green gear bays.

Nice photos, X-Plane It'll be a walk down memory lane going through my Airpower and Wings issues to find more photos.

Aft doors that were exposed when gear was down was painted gloss white.

Jay, that cockpit photo of 280 was taken about a year after first flight in July 1973. Here's an earlier one from November 1972. You can see small changes in various test panels and highlights of gauges but the overall layout is about the same. For some reason, the fuel quantity gauge is covered in both views.

Tony

f15-5.jpg

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

All wells were metallic green?  Were the closed doors interior surfaces also green or were all the door interiors white?

Thanks.

Yes just doors were white, wells were metallic green.. I remember when I would hook up the hydro cart or test stand I would get Green metallic flakes of paint and n my gloves.