f/a-18 protoype ship 1

so this next year i want to build a model of the very first prototype f/a-18 hornet  in 1/48 i have the monogram kit but i need help finding more detailed photos of the jet like the art work on the rudders so i can have better decals made for it  can any body help?

ok so from what i have seen thanks to finn and twong   the shade of blue on the jet meaning the stripe color in one page the roll out photos the blue looks dark then on the PDF file i opened has a sample of the color and its very very bright blue.  so i guess the next question is what shade should i pick? go off of the photos or the chip?

For something like that, you are probably best off matching to either the Monogram decal and/or pictures since those Prototype house colors usually are something unique rather than off the shelf since we aren't just talking the stripe colors, but also the blue shade used for the stencil markings on the jet.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:25 AM, twong said:

You can try Testors Model Master Ford Engine Blue or Blue Angels Blue. You will have to darken or lighten to what you think matches.

F-18proto3_zpsh8k1erad.jpg

Looking at that, the color looks very close to the old Pactra Royal Blue shade with the amount of purple I see in it. Nice photo! I think Blue Angel Blue might be a good starting point if one is willing to mix slightly. But in my experience, i can mix even a gallon of paint for even a small 1/144 model and STILL run out at a critical moment.

• 1 month later...

I went through this a few years ago when building the Hasegawa 1/72 version. The blue and gold decals were rubbish and had to be replaced by a paint job. The consensus was that the blue was from the Ford motor company but nobody knew which. I went with the easy option which was to match the blue to that of the decals. The 'gold' is actually gold and not some shade of yellow - which might give you trouble with decals. The Hasegawa gold went green when applied to the model although these did date from the 1970s so decal technology may have moved on since then.

F18800.jpg

John

Edited by johnr