1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat - VF-41 Black Aces, 1976

On 12/1/2016 at 11:01 PM, dylan said:

fantastic job on that. I have 114 from the same cruise on the bench right now.

I had the same problem with clear cracking over Gunze on a few models years ago. it only happened with the gloss paints, the semi gloss stuff was fine.

Thanks Dylan!

That is cool you are working on sister bird for mine!  I look forward to seeing finished pics!  I am sure it is the gloss Gunze paints, I need to wait like 2-3 days after painting to apply the future from now on.  Bummer, as I hate pausing my projects. Maybe I will plan it such that those days will be weapons building/painting days.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:22 AM, janman said:

Looks very nice!

Thanks janman!

On 12/2/2016 at 1:09 PM, Mr.Happy said:

Very nicely done.

Great job on the burner cans👍

Cheers

Thanks Mr.Happy!  I am pleased with how they turned out, even if the heat stressing is a little overdone... but it looks cool!

BTW, love the screen name!

On 12/2/2016 at 1:57 PM, Bravosierra001 said:

SWEET!!! Love that scheme!

Brandon

Thanks Brandon!  Yeah, this scheme is definitely in my top 5 favorite Tomcat schemes.

18 hours ago, viper730 said:

Really Great Job.....

Thanks viper! I appreciate the kind words!

Nice looking build!  As for the cracking problem, it's a combination of using Future over the gloss acrylics.  I had the same spider-web cracking on an F8F Bearcat, which I had painted with Gunze gloss, then applied Future.  Within a year, the model had cracks all over it.  I have also found this happened with Gunze semi-gloss paints.  There is some sort of compatibility issue, but I think that has been addressed (ie: different cure times).  I have yet to see if Future over Testors acrylic gloss will have the same effect.  Future over flat paints (such as Tamiya XF series), no problems at all.  But, since this happened on my Bearcat, I have not used Future over any gloss/semi-gloss acrylic paints.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice job. Its killing me not being able to build over here with this and the Z-M F-4J on the market.  Quick question, I know the Tam kit comes with 2 sets of wing sealing bags, so did you just install each one for each wing sweep angle? How well do they stay in place? Nice job on keeping the turbine warning stripe aligned on all of them.  BZ.

On 12/12/2016 at 8:25 AM, Colin K said:

Nice looking build!  As for the cracking problem, it's a combination of using Future over the gloss acrylics.  I had the same spider-web cracking on an F8F Bearcat, which I had painted with Gunze gloss, then applied Future.  Within a year, the model had cracks all over it.  I have also found this happened with Gunze semi-gloss paints.  There is some sort of compatibility issue, but I think that has been addressed (ie: different cure times).  I have yet to see if Future over Testors acrylic gloss will have the same effect.  Future over flat paints (such as Tamiya XF series), no problems at all.  But, since this happened on my Bearcat, I have not used Future over any gloss/semi-gloss acrylic paints.

Thanks Colin!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I love using Gunze + Future, but I think I may have to re-evaluate this combo.

On 12/31/2016 at 1:25 AM, Ishthe47guy said:

Nice job. Its killing me not being able to build over here with this and the Z-M F-4J on the market.  Quick question, I know the Tam kit comes with 2 sets of wing sealing bags, so did you just install each one for each wing sweep angle? How well do they stay in place? Nice job on keeping the turbine warning stripe aligned on all of them.  BZ.

Thanks for the kind words bud!  I want to get the ZM F-4J and the F-4S when it comes out too. 

Yeah, I installed each set for pics, but once I took pics I put the swept set in and glued them in since I will display it swept.  The upper gloves did not fit perfectly unglued, but the bags fit nicely. 

4 hours ago, john53 said:

WOW! That's all I can say is WOW! I have to stop typing and try to

close my jaw so I don't drool all over the keyboard. WOW!!!!!---John

Thanks John, that is quite a compliment!!!  I really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Hot diggity dog- that looks fantastic. I'm building mine now and I will be using the same markings. Question- your black area around the canopy and nose cone looks very scale accurate. How did you get it that way? Did you use some lighter powders to tone down the black? I want exactly the same effect on mine. The last build I did was an F-4J and that was the only part I wasn't pleased about at the end of the build. Absolutely stunner of a job sir. 

On 1/1/2017 at 9:34 AM, 305swag said:

Wow!

Thank you sir!!!

34 minutes ago, afterburner said:

Hot diggity dog- that looks fantastic. I'm building mine now and I will be using the same markings. Question- your black area around the canopy and nose cone looks very scale accurate. How did you get it that way? Did you use some lighter powders to tone down the black? I want exactly the same effect on mine. The last build I did was an F-4J and that was the only part I wasn't pleased about at the end of the build. Absolutely stunner of a job sir. 

Thanks for the really kind words and compliments, I really appreciate it.  You are in luck, I have a REALLY easy answer for you.  I just used XF-85 Tamiya Rubber Black for all the black areas, thinned with Gunze Levelling thinner at about 50/50 ratio. 

81785-XF-85-Rubber-Black.jpg

It really has a nice scale affect for black areas.  I use it for tires, glare stripes, black tails, cockpits, etc. 

I look forward to seeing pics of your project!

-Michael

Thank you sir! I've taken a few pics of progress along the way- cockpit and intakes. I've closed my gear wells and am currently sorting out how to mount the fuselage to a length of acrylic. Then I will mount it over a picture frame base decorated with gel acrylics and sand to resemble waves crashing onto a beach, ie: Tomcat flying low and fast over a beach. That's the plan. The kit goes together so well that it's the easiest part of the scene, which is a first. Usually I struggle with the kits and nail the base. Anyways, pictures will follow when I get it finished and tidied up. Thanks for the tip on Rubber Black- perfect!