Evil Eye: MPC's Fast 111's kit out of box

Sometimes, it’s nice to take a trip back in time to when kits were supposed to be simple, fun entertainment for kids. Yes, there was a time like that, and many of us remember it. There were, to be sure, big expensive kits, but for those just starting out there were simpler kits with fewer parts, and even a snap fit if we hadn’t got our gluing skills up to par.

A great example of kits of this type are the MPC “Fast 111’s” snap fit kits of the early ‘80s. These were roughly 1/32 replicas of, if you can believe it, 1/64 Diecast cars! The Kenner Fast 111’s line was invented as a competitor to Hot Wheels. While it never took off like Hot Wheels did, the toys were cool, and Kenner asked MPC to make some kits of key designs. The idea was to capture a market that Hot Wheels wasn’t tapping; young modellers. I don’t think it was successful, but there were four kits made!

Check out the most radical of them, the Evil Eye racing rig, out of box at the link below. If you remember these kits, it’ll be a fun trip down memory lane. If not, then it’ll be something new to look for at swap meets!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/mpc-fast-111s-evil-eye-racing-rig-oob/

Evil Eye (OOB)_tiny.jpg

I have slowly been working on the Baja racer in this series on and off for a few years. It started as a project I would take to Wonderfest and I would work on it for a few hours while at the show, then put it away until the next year. The plan is to turn it into a Mad Max style fast attack car, designed to get in, strike and get out while crossing a desert region. I've gotten pretty far along with it too even going so far as to mount a 50 calibre gun on it and some gerry cans (for either water or fuel, not entirely sure which).

I remember the original Fast 111s quite well as they were popular due to each one having a different license plate from all 50 states. So it became a search to find diecasts from one's home state. They had some rather interesting custom cars in that line.

Hey Jay!

That's an awesome use for the Dirt Digger! Kind of like the Special Forces rapid attack buggies, but with a post-appocalyptic bent! that'd look sweet. 

I used to have a kit I'd take to work on while waiting in dealerships for my car to be serviced. I'd take over their coffee table and sit on the floor etching, sanding and trimming. People would invariable ask me about what I was doing, and most had built kits as kids - even the women, which surprised me! 

I loved Fast 111's, and their customs were awesome. Very "space-y". I JUST got a Jet Screamer last month (same sale as the kit); I'd wanted one since 1982! :) Never seen it before in my life. Whenever you get your kit done, you'll have to post it!

I will. I know where the kit is and I got pretty far along. I just need to get it finished.

As for my original Fast 111s, I believe I sold my last one a couple months ago. I can't remember the name of the car, but it was a custom design, silver in color with blue "countdown" font letters and an Iowa license plate. The stock vehicles I was more into back in the day, such as the "Blazing Bandit" Firebird, mainly because I was into anything Pontiac Firebird back then (Smokey and the Bandit influence and later Knight Rider).

Oh, that one, in chrome and blue, is Cyclone, I believe. I have it in chrome and red/pink. I always liked the design, but when I was a kid the pink was a bit girly. Never seen another one in the flesh, though. 

I hear you on Poncho fandom. I'm still a big Pontiac fan, and the reasons you cite are a big part of that!