New YF-23 book!

Cover%20edit%20e%20small_zps9wsiunee.jpg

Air Force Legends Number 220, Northrop YF-23 ATF

By Paul Metz, Northrop’s Chief Test Pilot for the YF-23 program.

All color, 153-pages, 314 color photos, 5 b&w photos, 69 illustrations.

Retail price $49.95

ISBN-13: 978-0-9892583-7-1

ISBN-10: 0-9892583-7-8

The Northrop YF-23 stealth fighter was evaluated with the Lockheed YF-22. Two aircraft were built, PAV-1 and PAV-2. The Chief Test Pilot for the program was Paul Metz, the author of this book. Although the YF-22 was eventually chosen for production, the YF-23 ATF proved to be a very capable and superb example of Low Observable (LO) fighter technology. This book covers origins of the ATF requirement, other manufacturers submissions including alternate Northrop designs, RFI phase May 1981 to May 1982, CDI phase May 1983 to May 1984, ATF DEM/VAL phase 1986 through 1991, Northrop ATF evolution 1971-1986, ATF team, Construction, Flight test program, Engines, Summary and selection, NATF proposal, F/B-23 proposal, Aircraft nuts-and-bolts, Where are they now, Program patches, YF-23 pilots, and YF-23 models.

Finally! A comprehensive book on the YF-23! Written by the man himself, Paul Metz!
(Bonus, it's a Steve Ginter book)

Bias alert!!!  :cop:
I am a huge YF-23 fanboy and I contributed some of the photos in the book.

I've only skimmed, but not yet fully read the book, but it includes a fascinating history of aviation progressing into stealth/LO, supercruise and the need for a new generation of fighter.
It follows the backstory of the development, construction, flight tests and outcome of the competition.
It includes details for the proposed production version as well as naval (NATF) and bomber versions.

It has a detailed breakdown of the YF-23 design features with sections covering each area of the plane.
It also includes a history of the airframes right up to where they now reside.
There is even a section on model kits and desktop models (including my 1/32 pattern :rolleyes:).
There are a bunch of drawings, artist renderings and pics of models of the crazy design proposals. There are blueprint type drawings of the YF-23, F-23 NATF as well as some of the pre-YF-23 designs.
It has photos throughout, including many never before seen and a comprehensive walkaround section on the YF-23 with drawings referencing which of the walkaround pictures go where.

If you are a YF-23 fan or just interested in a cool cutting edge aircraft design you'll love this book.
Highly recommended.

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman

Ginter books are fantastic, they cover many esoteric subjects in great depth.

Looking forward to this one.

The short bio doesn't mention it but author Metz went on to be a Lockheed test pilot on the F-22 EMD (pre-production) program.

Edited by habu2
On 12/3/2016 at 0:07 PM, habu2 said:

Port engine exhaust of 87-0800, taken in the research hangar at USAF museum in 2012.

Nice pic!

I had a real hard time getting good pics from the rear of PAV-1 because of all that light pouring in through the glass doors/walls.

Not being a photographer I had the camera set to 'auto'. Some day I'll learn...

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I didn't mention it but yes I got mine thru Squadron's book sale as well.

edit: The book includes a model review section, both Zactoman's 1/32 project is mentioned as well as Kursad's Caracal sheets in both 72nd and 48th.  The ARC forum is also mentioned as a modeling resource.

Edited by habu2