Challenger deploys LDEF in 1/100

I haven't forgotten about this ... I've had to research Decal Paper / Film and bought some Papilio material. We shall see how this works out. The Expert's Choice quality is too inconsistent for me. Then ... my printer wasn't printing out the right colours, which I'll need to print out my decals. And then the Printer's printhead stopped working properly.

So I've spent the past few days trying to flush it out and release the blockage ... to no avail. So, now I have to see if I can buy a new printer which uses the same, expensive, cartridges.

I'll be back at this ASAP!  

• 3 months later...

Pete,

Were you able to get your printer issue resolved? If not, I can print them for you on my laser printer if you want. Let me know.

I had to buy a new printer as the Printhead was done. And due to some health issues ( minor, yet aggravating ) and life in general, I haven't been back at the modelling table in 3 months or so ...   but I hope to be back real soon ... cuz I've got 3 or 4 projects that need to get completed ... including that Group Build effort!

Thanx very much Hotdog for the offer!

So, it's now January 13, 2018 and the old photos have been replaced ( it took almost 3 hours!! ) ... and here's just a quick update ...

The LDEF has been sanded and painted ... and then sanded ... and then filled and then sanded ... and then painted ....... there were just too many flaws, and every time I re-sanded it, some flexing in the model would loosen up another panel or two ...

2v2JUSTzhxAnAAS.jpg

... and re-paint ... 

2v2JUSTVhxAnAAS.jpg

... and re-sand ...

2v2JUSSaLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUSSUGxAnAAS.jpg

... and I'll give it another 'once over' before I paint it again.

Meantime I designed and printed my decals ... they just need to be applied ...

2v2JUSTNWxAnAAS.jpg

... and now, we're up to date!

Pete

Looks great! Hotdog’s decals are always fabulous. Looking forward to seeing more. I’ve started tinkering with my shuttles again. I’ve got to figure out what to do with the photo sharing issue. 

Mike 

• 1 year later...

So now ... where was I? ... oh yeah, I wanted to put decals on the LDEF ...

Using a few images of the LDEF I was able to map out all the locations of the various materials, drew up something that sort of looked right and put 'em down ...

2v2ENuw95xAnAAS.jpg

... however, this decal material is GARBAGE!! ... and it took a lot more time to place these things than it should have. The decals didn't want to come off the backing paper even after 2 minutes in HOT water. Once I was able to force them off, they didn't adhere to the model ... I did a search for Bel Decal, Hotdog likes to use this stuff, and it looks they've gone bye-bye, no web site. And Expert's Choice is crappy too IMHO! ... damn it!

2v2ENuwJWxAnAAS.jpg

These tile decal are homemade too ... 

2v2ENuwEGxAnAAS.jpg

The tile decals applied to the tail ... bu-u-ut-t-t ...

2v2ENuwHnxAnAAS.jpg

after 4 hours of 'drying', the decal didn't adhere. My thumb is under the decal after I, quite literally, blew on it.

Such awful decal material ... it made the decalling job way-y-y  harder and way-y-y more frustrating than it needed to be.

2v2ENuwaqxAnAAS.jpg

But, I'm back on this build ... I need to get caught up on this build too, but I think it's just about down to Paint and Decals.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
spelling

Ah the decal dance - usually a tough step for me.  I've tried coating the area first with microsol and had some success as it seems to want to bite the decal from the get go.  I've also coated clear and then put the decal down while the clear is still wet.  I feel the pain....

-ret

I had to strip off all the decals to a project I did a while back because the adhesive had turned amber. Bad because the model was gloss white! (1/24 scale Peterbilt Wrecker). As I removed each decal and got them off the backing paper, I had to rub off the adhesive with my fingers and a soft paint brush until the carrier film showed clear. To get the decals to stick to the model, I used Elmers glue thinned with water to a consistency of super skim milk. The model is over 20 years old now, and the decals are still on and look pristine. Placed at IPMS Nationals in Orlando to I might add.

I'm betting the tough time you had getting the decals off the paper was just that - the decals only. The adhesive never left the paper. Try the white glue solution, and use a setting solution if you feel you need it.

Tracy

4.jpg

Edited by Vidar_710

Thanx Ret ... Microsol has no effect on this decal film. Papilio decal material is awful!

Tracy, I shan't use white glue, instead I use Future on hard to adhere decals. But even this solution, on this material, was "hit-and-miss". And setting solutions did NOT soften this decal crap at all! I emailed the company with my complaint and received no usable response.

So I struggled with this decal film ... it came loose, or it stuck too much or it chipped or it came off the backing paper WHILE I WAS TRIMMING the decal BEFORE I PUT IN WATER!!!

But completed the LDEF. Here's an image of the real thing to give you a better idea ... those are all various material samples that were installed on this Long Duration Exposure Facility. It was placed in orbit specifically to determine how different material performed over a long period of time in the harsh environment of space.

2v2ErE7FyxAnAAS.jpg

... and mine, using decals to represent the material samples ...

2v2ErE7SdxAnAAS.jpg

I also used foils to represent some materials.

2v2ErE7VyxAnAAS.jpg

And DONE! The final pieces were the Grapple fixtures.

2v2ErE7LrxAnAAS.jpg

... and the other end.

2v2ErE7CNxAnAAS.jpg

Instead of decals for the Nose Tiles, I'm leaning toward strips of Styrene to replicate 'em. This is a pattern which I may use.

2v2ErE7W8xAnAAS.jpg

And these are patterns for the area between the windows and the nose ... 4 versions of the patterns refining the shape as I go along.

2v2ErE7gjxAnAAS.jpg

Then I decided to use First Aid tape to do the wing FRSI 'tiles' ... I photocopied a drawing, enlarged it and will use it as a guide.

2v2ErE7qoxAnAAS.jpg

I cut out squares and rectangles and stuck 'em down.

2v2ErE7nzxAnAAS.jpg

And done. I only did a partial wing because the Payload Bay doors will hide 2/3 of the wing.

2v2ErE7GMxAnAAS.jpg

Getting closer and closer. I'll paint the First Aid tape Flat White, then apply Future to 'em to give 'em a gloss coat for decalling.  Using the KIT'S decals  :thumbsup:

The OMS pods also got an application of First Aid tape.

Thanx for taking a peek!

Pete

I made some more decals of the Flipper Doors and placed 'em on a small scrap of 0.010" styrene ... I'll cut 'em out and glue it down.

Notice the lower edge where the decal is lifting off the surface ... it's typical of the Papilio decal garbage.

2v2Erc7ngxAnAAS.jpg

While the decals were drying I decided to place the 'tiles' on the OMS pods ... I used strips of 0.010" styrene.

2v2Erc7FmxAnAAS.jpg

After the strips are glued down, I'll give 'em a little sanding to smooth the surface.

2v2Erc7qWxAnAAS.jpg

Then I cut out the Flipper Door decals on the styrene, after drying for 11 hours, and ... well ... the decal kinda surprised me ...

2v2Erc7WCxAnAAS.jpg

It ... had ... not ... adhered to the styrene ... at ... all! I had used a brand new blade and after the last cut, the decal ... just ... moved, there was no adhesive. 

Sheesh  :bandhead2:

... So I used a drop of Future and hopefully secured the decals onto the styrene ... but only time will tell!

Instead of making my job easier and fun, this decal material makes 4 times more 'work' ... but, on the bright side, I think I'm done with home-made decals on this model! Nothing but kit decals from now on!  :yahoo:

Pete

I first used First Aid tape on my 1st Shuttle model 12 years ago after a suggestion by Jay Chladek ... where is Jay anyway?

Thanx Manfred, my teeth are clenched and my hands as well!  

I applied the rectangles on the PB Door locks but later removed 'em ... they were too out of scale.

2v2Ej2GSjxAnAAS.jpg

Added some minor details to the Payload Bay

2v2Ej2GLdxAnAAS.jpg

I'll round off the corners to the RMS Shoulder support

2v2Ej2GW5xAnAAS.jpg

Adding styrene strip, 0.010", to replicate the Tiles

2v2Ej2GV8xAnAAS.jpg

A styrene jig to scribe in some tiles on the nose.

2v2Ej2GgyxAnAAS.jpg

Nice subtle indications ...

2v2Ej2GhMxAnAAS.jpg

I placed a window decal, from JBOT, just as a guide for placing tiles around the window itself ... it'll get sacrificed.

2v2Ej2GTrxAnAAS.jpg

I'll trim and sand the window tiles later ... the decal is doing its job!

But adding all these tiles to the front of the Shuttle, I keep asking myself, "why the heck am I even doing this?" I hope it'll all be worth it!

2v2Ej2GCzxAnAAS.jpg

And while trimming the tiles around the window, my knife went right through the #%@&!@ window ... 

I don't know how I'm gonna patch it, but the hole will get plugged with something and it'll be as good as new!

2v2Ej2GGNxAnAAS.jpg

This build has been one frustrating build. But, onward and upward!

Thanx for taking a peek!

Pete

To patch the window I pushed a pin through a piece of 0.010" styrene and held the pin with a clamp and pulled the styrene snug to the shuttle.

2v2EjjcqnxAnAAS.jpg

... then filled the hole with bits of styrene ...

2v2EjjcFqxAnAAS.jpg

... let it dry, then put in some putty ... and then file and sand it.

2v2EjjcdFxAnAAS.jpg

This is a Dymo tape guide to score the tiles.

2v2EjjcydxAnAAS.jpg

I didn't use the Dymo tape and instead scored the tiles by eye, after pencilling in the tiles.

2v2Ejjc5yxAnAAS.jpg

Not too bad. Yes, they're outta scale but I'm happy with the texture indications.

2v2EjjcN5xAnAAS.jpg

Starting to apply Decals. These are a combination of Kit, JBOT and Hotdog's decals and ... these were a treat to use!

2v2EjjcWvxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EjjcL2xAnAAS.jpg

2v2Ejjcg3xAnAAS.jpg

2v2EjjcGUxAnAAS.jpg

And I had to see how the LDEF fit in ...  hm-m-m ...

2v2EjjcnGxAnAAS.jpg

After decalling, it was time to glue on the Payload Bay Doors. I used a Brass rod between the door and the clamp to add even pressure and make a firm bond.

2v2EjjcCoxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EjjchzxAnAAS.jpg

Getting down to the short strokes now. I need to see how to support the LDEF, add some bits to the Payload Bay and tie up some loose ends ...

Till next posting

Pete

Hi Pete,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/goodjob.gif

Over and over again I admire your skill and patience, http://www.mind-craft.de/Sml/top2.gif and especially how cool you are handling with occasional failures.

Keep it up! That's simply awesome!!!  

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank You Manfred!

I glued the RMS, Remote Manipulator System, to the LDEF but will leave it moving freely where the RMS attaches to the Payload Bay. The LDEF is secured with a nice thick piece of wire in the Payload Bay.

2v2EMeEs2xAnAAS.jpg

And after spending 4 or 5 days doing and re-doing the base, it's DONE!  :banana: here's a few more pix!

2v2EMeERHxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EMeEf3xAnAAS.jpg

2v2EMeEAvxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EMeEBUxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EMeE69xAnAAS.jpg

2v2EMeEtuxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EMeEYJxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EMeE7ExAnAAS.jpg

So that's all folks ... on this build anyway.

It's taken awhile and I'm happy not to meet it's ugly stare wondering when I was gonna finish her!  :whistle:

Thanx for sticking around! See you on the next build!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pete, brilliant work! Love what you did with the thermal blankets. It really looks realistic!

I'm planning on building a Challenger too (a STS-51-L tribute) and I want to make the blankets like you did and I want to see how it turned out in the end. Would you mind posting a few detail photos of the nose and OMS pods for me? I hope I can come close to what you have achieved. You have inspired me, as has Spaceman with his detailed (and ongoing) work on his Challenger.

I don't have the model right now so I can't take pix of it ... it's been loaned to a local school so it will be at least a few months till it gets returned.

But the images in this thread should give you all the info you'll need to do your own version.

And post your build here too, we all wanna to see it!

Pete

32 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

I don't have the model right now so I can't take pix of it ... it's been loaned to a local school so it will be at least a few months till it gets returned.

Oh, ok...no problem. There are a lot of pictures of the build and the intermediate results, but I wanted to see how it turned out in the end. It's no problem, I'll just start and try it on some left over piece of plastic to see how it works.

I'll post progress pictures of my build. My new hobbyroom should be finished in a month or two, then I can start.