Italeri 48th scale H-21

As the Italieri F7F is an AMT repop, I wondered about this and the SH or FM versions, but the sprue shots show it's not. Having written that, it does appear simpler than either of those others.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up mine on Friday, so far, it looks pretty good Molding seems crisp, nice detailing and a fine OOB helicopter can be made from  it. Of course, the decal instrument panel is a let down but that's minor . I agree, the USAF version is shown with drop tanks and none are present not is a mount for them so that is a let down .  

The OD is an Italeri mix , does not appear to be a shade used by the U.S.Army during its service life , at least per the Lennart Lundh book and from memory , they were a dark glossy OD , 14087 I think, the color called for is 34084. . The painting guide also calls for the lower half of the rotor blades to be aluminum and the top black, I tend to believe that's reversed . Again, the Army appears to have OD on top, black on the bottom. Can't vouch for the Air Force or France though I would hazard a guess that the French bird might have the bare aluminum rotors . 

All in all, I like this old bird, saw a bunch of them as a kid and I hope this will lead to a couple of other versions and maybe to an updated H-19 

In Vietnam, H-21 rotro blades were actually white on top to aid visibility from above.  Below are some photos from Col Robert Reuiter and from 1962 as wella s a few form the 212st Avn Co.  from the US Army Aviation Museum archives.

Ray

Reuter%20UTT0009_zpsjcmi9l9n.jpg

Reuter%20UTT0017_zpsjielfjcf.jpg

Reuter%20UTT0018_zpsbqgjxl48.jpg

Reuter%20UTT0027_zpskh44gxny.jpg

121st%20Avn%20co0042a_zpskqfa3cna.jpg

121st%20Avn%20co0044_zpspt7ipp3d.jpg

9 hours ago, rotorwash said:

In Vietnam, H-21 rotro blades were actually white on top to aid visibility from above.  Below are some photos from Col Robert Reuiter and from 1962 as wella s a few form the 212st Avn Co.  from the US Army Aviation Museum archives.

Ray

Reuter%20UTT0009_zpsjcmi9l9n.jpg

Reuter%20UTT0017_zpsjielfjcf.jpg

Reuter%20UTT0018_zpsbqgjxl48.jpg

Reuter%20UTT0027_zpskh44gxny.jpg

121st%20Avn%20co0042a_zpskqfa3cna.jpg

121st%20Avn%20co0044_zpspt7ipp3d.jpg

Like they  did with hueys . I'm trying to get this to Jive with  Ralph Young's Army Aviation VOL I