Nakajima B5N2 Kate questions

G'day people,

I am approaching the end of my 1/72 Airfix Kate build and I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the aerial fitment pattern?

There is an aerial mast exiting the canopy, so it seems obvious that that there will be an aerial fitted between this mast and the vertical fin leading edge. I have seen some models and paintings with additional aerials (HF?)  that appear between wing trailing edge and the tail plane leading edge symmetrically on both sides. Does anyone have a clear drawing or rigging diagram?

2. Did the Kate have navigation lights fitted above/below the wing surfaces?

Airfix have moulded teardrop shaped features both above and below the wing additional to the normal wingtip nav lights. There are two of these on the wing upper surfaces, one per inboard and outboard (folding) section of the main wing and four grouped together on the underside.

DSCN3571_zpsxqvsqx3m.jpg

DSCN3538_zpsqosnjrgs.jpg

I suspect that these are some sort of formation or identification lights? Should these be painted in the usual red/green or left clear?

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy. I like the paint colors and application.

FWIW, the Hasegawa instructions for their 1:48 B5N2 kit show the two inboard lights on each upper wing as the same colors as the wingtip nav lights -- that is, clear red for port and clear blue for starboard (although it seems obvious these were actually green lights with that bluish tinge one sees on traffic lights). There's no mention in the instructions of anything on the lower wing surfaces.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Unfortunately I can't help but I do want to comment on your Kate - just an outstanding job!   Got an build pics?

John

G'day John,

Thanks very much. I started this build on this site for the "Far our, far east build"

Unfortunately I didn't finish in time, but the build continues over the pond at Britmodeller. I have linked to the current build at the end of the ARC thread,

cheers,

Pappy