I don't get much time to model at the bench because my schedule is hectic to say the least ( I get some benchtime about 1 or 2 times a month if I'm lucky).

I work 12 hour shifts at a factory so I sometimes have some quiet time when the machines are running good, so I start to mind model.

What mind modeling is, is when you think about a certain subject or model and in your mind, you begin to build that model or diorama. An example would be, I love Blackhawk helicopters, so I begin to think about what I would like to build and I build it in my mind.

I don't mean step by step, but rather a plane or a helicopter with certain panels open in or a diorama scene.

Here's my mind modeling projects that-yes I would like to physically build someday.

1) A 1/35 scale  scratchbuilt stealth Blackhawk.

2) A diorama of a  UH-60 undergoing phase maintenance in a hangar with all kinds of panels either off or opened with guys, toolboxes and ladders all around.

3) A MH-60M from the 160th SOAR getting ready to start up on a mission with a the pilots in the cockpit and the 2 crew chiefs standing outside and the whole crew is wearing NVG's. ( This is a long shot idea, but have this dio in a case somehow, so when the viewer looks into the case to look at the dio, they see it through the eyes of someone seeing it with NVG's on.)

THAT'S mind modeling. What's your ideas that you mind model?

Tim

Probably so and some smartaleck will tell me, "yeah, mind modeling is nothing more than an idea!", but to me, I go deeper than the , "ooh, that would look cool". 

Maybe its just me, but then again I don't get as much benchtime as the rest of the guys here so I like to mind model instead. That way, I'm still connected to my hobby.

Oh well, enough ranting, I don't expect this thread to live very long. It is the general discussion forum after all.

Tim

I do it constantly.  I spend so much time in hotels where I am away from my models I have too.  I actually brought the instructions for my HK B-17 with me to go through and plan out.  Ideas such as, doors open/closed, guns out/in, colors, build order, etc...  This helps to pass the time.

I do the same thing for almost all builds. Sit down and go through the instruction, usually during slow times at work, and figure things out. Post it notes to remember months later what I wanted to do. 

The big things, as Falcon20driver said, is to plan for options, weapons load out, paint schemes,  but also any changes to the build sequence.  Do I want to install the ejection seat at step 4 or step 24. Can i Put that nose gear in after painting, or does it have to go in early. if it needs weight, when is the best time to add it, Before close up, or through a hole after.  it saves a lot of time when you are actually at the bench.

Sean

I basically do it everytime when I walk to the stash and pull out a box. This can be any random box. To me, it is part of the hobby. Markings, loadouts, placement of the model on the diorama base, accesories, etc...

It is also part of the research before I actually pick a kit out of the stash and start building it.

Helps take my mind off of work and other worries when I am trying to relax and catch some shut eye. Its relaxing to think about my current build and where I want it to progress or plan out an upcoming build before even cutting open the bags. I get more builds done in my head then I do at the bench...LOL!

About the only kind of modelling I do nowadays!

When I let my imagination off the leash, it's all about the more involved projects I have running in the background most of the time. The 'straight-ahead' builds don't feature that much; instead I mutter to myself about a 1/48 F/A-18C I'm part way into, with lots of open panels (should really try and scratch at least the visible bits of the gun...) and a GWH Fulcrum (unstarted) that I want to feature in a diorama: a blue-nose Domna AB aircraft sitting in a 'snow revetment' with a few deep-frozen ground dudes hauling missiles.

Yes, like this one!

I even have an Airfield Towing Bar and authentic VVS fire extinguishers -hell, what's gonna catch fire in that weather?! :whistle:

On December 7, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Lancer512 said:

I basically do it everytime when I walk to the stash and pull out a box. This can be any random box. To me, it is part of the hobby. Markings, loadouts, placement of the model on the diorama base, accesories, etc...

It is also part of the research before I actually pick a kit out of the stash and start building it.

+1 that is a part of the experience that I savour. The dream. Sometimes I get so zoned out that I don't hear my wife which can put me into an uncomfortable situation. Once in a while these dreams are realized.