Yakolev Yak-38 Forger - Hobbyboss 1/48

Good Afternoon guys, I bring to you a new project, the Yakolev Yak-38 Forger. The kit is made by Hobbyboss of China in 1/48 scale. The chosen version is yellow 53 use as part of the aircraft evaluation program in the Afgan War in the 70's and earlies 80's.

15171320_10154490445025067_2281287583155

15134643_10154490445995067_4198307930311

This is a post construction post because it's finnished and it participated in the last IPMS Venezuela 2016 where it became frist place winner in the quarter scale sub-cathegory. If anyone is interested in watching the pictures from the event you can click in the following link:   https://www.facebook.com/pg/RumbasVenezuela/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10154756915024419

15310680_10154507100780067_2047484187_n.

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas fallas...

Let's start as usual witht the cockpit.

I though adding a riveted floor to the cockpit as seen in the real photos. In order to facilitate chipping I choose a piece of aluminiun foil fitted for the space. The following pictures shows unglued foil pieces so don't be alarmed... it gets better....

1.jpg

3.jpg

I didn't see the necessity of covering up the hole floor with the riveted foil since the K-36 ejection seat won't allowed to see it...

4.jpg

5.jpg

After triming and fitting it's time for painting...

5-5.jpg

At some point I didn't quite like the detail on the side panels so...

5-5.jpg

I decided to improve them making them from scratch... and in order to make an omelette you need to break some eggs first...

6.jpg

In this last picture you can see how easy the chippingis made in the floor using aluminium foil. From this plain cockpit I started adding scratched details...

8.jpg

9.jpg

After a quick airbrushed primer I started with the floor weathering... I did it keeping in mind previous use in a aircraft carrier and them dust from the desert conditions in afghanistan... in the pictures you can se the evolution of the weathering and painting process..

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

27.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon, after a vacation period I'm back to bussiness. Let's continue... the cockpit is ready for now. Let's continue with the weak spot of this excelent model kit, the front turbines. Here I decided to make improvements. When you compare the real thing with the model strong differences begin to surface in this area. I found myself on a crossroad, improve it or not?

If I do it I should use resin parts, it is the fastest and easiest way but, due to that I live in Venezuela, I don't have access to US dollars or any other currency to spend on resin parts (thanks to the worst goverment ever) so scratch is the only possible way to make the model I want to make.

Real deal photos

295px-RD-41_low_res.png

IMG_2608.jpg

Jak-38_motor_R27V-300.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

day_01_032.jpg

Ok, now it's time for the fun work... first the upper part...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

13.jpg

Now let's work in the downside...

5.jpg

6.jpg

The complete effect with the two turbines... not bad but I don't like it...

7.jpg

14.jpg

I wasn't so sure. At this point I didn't want to spend more time on this details so I proceed to perforate the bay's floor and  making the body for the twin engines.

15.jpg

Once in place they look much better... but I don't know...

16.jpg

After staring at the real pictures and some bibliographic material I discover one little problem. The real front engines are not perpendicular to the ground. They are inclined in order to give a frontal push once in action. Unfortunatelly the engines I made are to wide so I after an hour cursing I left the model and call the day. Next, final modifications to the frontal lifting engines.

I hope you guys like it so far.

Many thanks for the attention.

Greetings

Antonio

• 1 month later...

Good Afternoon chaps, let's continue whith the Forger WIP. I didn't like the turbines as they were so I ditch them and started all over again. This time I finnally used my common sense and I decided to scratch one and cast the other one in order to make them exactly the same.

18.jpg

Fits better and the look fine in both orientation and details.

19.jpg

20.jpg

Finnally the painted pieces, including the lift engines bay.

21.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Next, front wheel bay.

Thanks for your attention.

Greetings

Antonio

Morning, let's keep scratching this model, next stop front wheel. The kit's front wheel is not bad but it can be upgraded with some simple new parts such as hidraulics lines, connectors, valves and wires...

Original parts...

1.jpg

Modified ones...

2.jpg

3.jpg

A little Dry-fit...

4.jpg

Some wires and hidraulic lines...

5.jpg

6.jpg

Keep on with continuous Dry-fit in order to verify how well things are fitting...

7.jpg

Done with scratching, let's paint it up... remenber, is all Dry-fitted...

8.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

That's all for now I hope you enjoy it.... 

greetings

Antonio

Hi, let's continue with the WIP process. This time let's focus on the main landing gear bays...

1_1.jpg

This is the modification process...

2_1.jpg

3_1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg6.jpg

The landing gear bays completed... done scratching

7.jpg

8.jpg

9_1.jpg

This is how they looked with some paint on them.

10_1.jpg

12_1.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

This is all for today, I hope you like this WIP and I look forward to get some feedback about how can I improve this o my next worls.

Greetings

Antonio

Let's continue with this work, it's time to finish little things in the fuselage in order to be ready for painting...

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

You may notice I cut out the flaps because I intend to put them in the deployed position as the real aircraft does it when it settle exhaust into vertical takeoff position...

3.jpg

5.jpg

Now the last thing is the only pain in the fool part of the assembly the exhaust covers...

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

10.jpg

That's all for now... next time... painting

Greetings and thanks for follow this WIP.

Antonio

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon my fellow modelers, I've being away from this WIP due to the political crisis happening in my country, Venezuela. Finnally I have sometime to sit and write this lines that transport me to my happyplace, modelling.

Enought of this.... last time I wrote I was showing little improvements on the forger's fuselage... now it's time for the paint...

As you all remenber this is the scheme I plan to adopt on my forger. Due to a mishap in the Trumpeter/hobbyboss factory planners the forgot to include the last two views of the scheme so, with the use of a few (very few) pictures, I tryed to complete the hole scheme.

1.jpg

One of the problems that I had was to choose the right colors... instructions are worthless, internet told me to get a russian brand but in most of the WIP I saw, the colors didn't feel right... so I start to improvise and mix different colors to get the tones I needed.

The base color is applied

3.jpg

I used variatons in the color to simulate weathering. I never used black or white. Lights and Shadows were made using mixtures with different tones of yellows.

4.jpg

Same proccess was used with bronwnish and greenish colors.

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Some Clear from Tamiya... I forgot to tell you that all the color used were ModelColor from Vallejo, applied with Airbrush...

11.jpg

All that lefts is let it dry and apply decals....

12.jpg

13.jpg

Hope you did enjoy it... next time...desert weathering... 

Thanks for stopping by...

Cheers

Antonio

God day colleagues...Now, it's time to show the work done on the forward lifting turbines hatches. The turbines has to hatches, above the fuselage to let the airflow in and under the fuselage to let the jets exhaust.

Sin-tiacutetulo-1.jpg

First we paint and weathered the inner side using grey and darker tones of gray with sand and smoke pigments

11.jpg

The other side (outer side) is treated as I did with the rest of the fuselage. Sand Brown and green coloer with tones variations of the same basic three colors plus dust pigments to show desert operational conditions.

19_1.jpg

In the case of the lower hatches, I choose to remove the detail in the inner part and remaque the detail using aluminium foil and adding two scratched door actuators. The outside part I continue the same proccess as with the rest of the fuselage pieces. The difference though was that I didn't do the lights of the upper side of the fuselage.

IMG_2891.jpg

Once this pieces were glued in place and I weathered the area (jet exhaust and smoke mainly) this is the final result of the loewr part of the lifting turbines.

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

Another view of the aircraft with the upper hatch open and gun pods painted in silver.

21.jpg

and the rockets pods too...

22.jpg

In both sides of the fuselage I made the weathering as the forger was a tank.... using oil paints... the difference is the mix... in the top fuselage I used more light brown and yellow colors, meanwhile in the other side I use more black and blue colors.

23.jpg

Final results....

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

Final shots in IPMS Venezuela 2017 event.

20.jpg

19.jpg

The "studio" pictures of the forger can we seen in the forum's section "Ready for inspection" or follow thishttp://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/297888-yakolev-yak-38-forger-in-afghanistan-hobbyboss-148/#comment-2852048

Thank you for watching and for your nice comments on this WIP.

See you soon 

Cheers 

Antonio