USS Arizona Interment of Ashes, December 7, 2016

THE FOLLOWING PHOTOS ARE FROM A VERY PRIVATE AND RARE CEREMONY

The evening of December 7th we interred the ashes of two USS Arizona survivors into the wreck of the ship to rejoin their shipmates. Both were friends of mine (John Anderson & Clare Hetrick), and one was a very close friend (Clare). Clare was the one who gave me the piece of the ship which I now guard. John's twin brother was lost on the Arizona, so he now rejoins his twin in eternal rest. 

Interments are the most unique funerals you will likely ever witness. I've attended two before and it is still mind-boggling.

They'd had to do something different for the interments this time, as so many family members of the two affected familes had come. It was realized some time ago that there was no way they'd fit all of us on the Memorial for the ceremony...so they did something else: Only the actual families (plus the USS Arizona survivors and dignitaries) were to be on the actual memorial, and the rest of the Association membership was to be ashore watching it on closed circuit, a few hundred yards away.

So, after knowing I'd be watching from ashore (but grateful to be a part of it at all) it was to my stunning surprise that Bob Hetrick (Clare's son) approached me and said his mom and dad loved me so much that they wanted me out there with them on the Memorial with them for the ceremony as a close family friend. Once again I was stunned (yeah, I teared up). The family gave me permission to take photos and to share them publicly.

This time as we boarded the Memorial for the ceremony it was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop, appropriate for a funeral as this was. It was before sunset. The thud of the boots of the honor guard thundered through the memorial as they came to attention for the arrival of both families, plus the survivors. The level of awe escapes description; I think all of us had the hair on the backs of our necks raised all throughout. 

After the ashes were interred into the ship, the dive teams asked to meet with the 2 families, and I was with them. 

AMAZING ENDING: After the ceremony, a spotted eagle ray swam under and around the memorial! The Hawaiian gods must have been pleased...what amazing timing for such a rare sight!!!

DSC01805i.jpgDSC01806i.jpgDSC01808i.jpgDSC01809i.jpgDSC01811i.jpgDSC01814i.jpgDSC01823i.jpgDSC01824i.jpgDSC01825i.jpgDSC01831i.jpgDSC01832i.jpgDSC01836i.jpgDSC01853i.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Andrew

What a great honor you had being there for the Interment of those two Great Men. I had the Honor of visiting the Arizona while serving in the Reserves and I have to say. When I stepped off the ferry onto the Memorial Platform I have never felt what I felt that day. It is hard to explain for me what I felt, to me it felt like the men of the Arizona was standing in the same spot as I was. I gave honor to the men of the Arizona by not taking pictures from the Memorial Platform. I felt that was the right thing to do as many tourist that visit and take pictures.Thank you for posting the pics and story.

Edited by tosouthern66