Just realized there are literally hundreds of cool videos out there of military hardware (and troops) performing sub-optimally.  Here are a couple I thought were pretty interesting.   Maybe title them both "why waste a HARM?".

Tank fails... at 1:08 bi+ch slapped with a tanks main gun! At 2:32(ish) what was that tank even doing in that ladies backyard? And at 3:30(ish) whoever built that T-34 didn't fill in the motorization holes on the bottom...must be the old Tamiya kit LOL!

Another S300 fail.  Wonder if there is a slight QC problem at the factory?   Like the fact that troops are laughing in the background.   No different than the US grunts cackling at the sight of those humvees plunging to their doom in the video above.   Troops are the same all over the world.

Not sure whether this goes under the Epic-Fail thread or a new one titled "The Emperor has no clothes"?  Not sure what is worse, a general who doesn't know how to wear his body armor correctly or all the yes-men around him who are afraid to point this out to the boss?

http://taskandpurpose.com/reason-mattis-likes-wear-flak-jacket-backward/

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Not sure whether this goes under the Epic-Fail thread or a new one titled "The Emperor has no clothes"?  Not sure what is worse, a general who doesn't know how to wear his body armor correctly or all the yes-men around him who are afraid to point this out to the boss?

Oh lord. Its only those two options. from the comments:

"Soldiers not using the added protection of a ruck, in forward positions (or where they know if trouble comes, they are belly down immediately, and covering, and have no other back protection) will wear them backwards, so the chicken plate is positioned to most effectively protect vital organs.

A general in theater does not carry his own gear. He has a "bodyguard" that's supposed to take forward positions, keep him under cover, and keep him DOWN unil they can withdraw...which will have his BACK towards the enemy.

Under such circumstances, it's actually sensible to put it on backwards, despite
 discomfort.

Since there's no UCMJ "proper uniform wear" dictating HOW you wear torso armor, he's not "out of uniform" or wearing it "improperly"

He was a three star general in 2008, if I'm not mistaken...which means not too many people HE has to initiate a salute for...but an officer MUST return a legitimate salute, no matter what the circumstances, under UCMJ...the soldier otherwise has to hold his salute and position of attention until the officer is out of sight.

If he was just entering or exiting a tent or building, he wouldn't have his top on...and it may even have been put aside in the midst of changing to his kevlar...fits his personality that he'd go out of the FOB into a situation in which kevlars were required...any way you cut it, if he was saluted at that time, he'd have returned it BEFORE continuing what he was doing.
 "

Marines are also not supposed to Salute without a cover (IE hat) on their head either HOWEVER, Marines may salute in order to avoid embarrassment on the part of the person who started the salute. This was done because in the army you can salute without a cover on, and it was bad to have the Marines not returning their salute, or when a civilian official salutes, the Marine can then return the salute.

Its much ado about nothing. But if you want to see some fail:

scandal1113120001.jpg

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
1 hour ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Oh lord. Its only those two options. from the comments:

"Soldiers not using the added protection of a ruck, in forward positions (or where they know if trouble comes, they are belly down immediately, and covering, and have no other back protection) will wear them backwards, so the chicken plate is positioned to most effectively protect vital organs.

A general in theater does not carry his own gear. He has a "bodyguard" that's supposed to take forward positions, keep him under cover, and keep him DOWN unil they can withdraw...which will have his BACK towards the enemy.

Under such circumstances, it's actually sensible to put it on backwards, despite
 discomfort.

Since there's no UCMJ "proper uniform wear" dictating HOW you wear torso armor, he's not "out of uniform" or wearing it "improperly"

He was a three star general in 2008, if I'm not mistaken...which means not too many people HE has to initiate a salute for...but an officer MUST return a legitimate salute, no matter what the circumstances, under UCMJ...the soldier otherwise has to hold his salute and position of attention until the officer is out of sight.

If he was just entering or exiting a tent or building, he wouldn't have his top on...and it may even have been put aside in the midst of changing to his kevlar...fits his personality that he'd go out of the FOB into a situation in which kevlars were required...any way you cut it, if he was saluted at that time, he'd have returned it BEFORE continuing what he was doing.
 "

Marines are also not supposed to Salute without a cover (IE hat) on their head either HOWEVER, Marines may salute in order to avoid embarrassment on the part of the person who started the salute. This was done because in the army you can salute without a cover on, and it was bad to have the Marines not returning their salute, or when a civilian official salutes, the Marine can then return the salute.

Its much ado about nothing. But if you want to see some fail:

scandal1113120001.jpg

LOL..  First off, since I never wore that type of body armor, when I saw that article earlier this week I asked a couple of guys who were both USMC combat vets if they ever heard of such a thing.  Both said no, The Marine way was to wear it as designed.   They also said it would be pretty darned hard to even put the thing on and suggested he must have needed an assistant to help!  Maybe there are legitimate reasons to protect him since he's a VIP?   If so, you still have to admit that it's at least a bit ironic that a guy who is supposed to be Blood and Gut's 2.0  has a standing order that in the event of combat with the enemy, he needs to put his back to the bad guys for max protection.   On your other point, I could care less about lack of a cover.   Cool pic, can't agree enough.   Do have to wonder if someone took a pic of an Army general with his flack on backwards, how long the Marines would have taken before coming up with a few hundred Memes and plastering them all over social media?  Before you get further butt hurt, just note that I think he's a good guy and should make an outstanding SecDef.  

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

LOL..  First off, since I never wore that type of body armor, when I saw that article earlier this week I asked a couple of guys who were both USMC combat vets if they ever heard of such a thing.  Both said no, The Marine way was to wear it as designed.   

Case closed then. I need to update my Borg programing. Clearly we are not all in synch

They also said it would be pretty darned hard to even put the thing on and suggested he must have needed an assistant to help!  Maybe there are legitimate reasons to protect him since he's a VIP?   If so, you still have to admit that it's at least a bit ironic that a guy who is supposed to be Blood and Gut's 2.0  has a standing order that in the event of combat with the enemy, he needs to put his back to the bad guys for max protection.   

Not really. losing the CENTCOM commander is pretty embarrassing. Besides you should know better than anyone, the "further you go up, the further you step away" as one of my infantry company commanders told me. A lot of problems arise when commanders forget that. Colonels trying to play captains sure can cause trouble.

My butt hurt is zero. I'm happy as can be. Good luck in your future trolling, and attempts to cause butt hurt. Swing and miss here

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
On 11.12.2016 at 4:25 PM, 11bee said:

Another S300 fail.  Wonder if there is a slight QC problem at the factory?   Like the fact that troops are laughing in the background.   No different than the US grunts cackling at the sight of those humvees plunging to their doom in the video above.   Troops are the same all over the world.

More like an issue with the age. Chances are all those are Soviet stock and obviously like any missiles (including ICBM's) they have a shell life. This shell life is often extended beyond the original timelines by doing checks and test launches which then allow the missile to be allowed for continued use fleetwide. Obviously by testlaunching one or a couple of missiles doesnt mean all the others are in perfect condition and will work perfectly, but that is what is being done. Same with ICBM's.

19 hours ago, 11bee said:

Remember all those impressive Russian military parades, showcasing the latest and greatest weapons?

I will probably be labeled as a commie or as an apologist but lets go through these one by one;

T-14 didn't have a technical problem, it was caused by human error. Basically the unexperienced driver (and they were all conscripts btw, and yes, conscripts were selected on purpose) tried to catch up and stalled the engine somehow causing the engine to turn off. In the panic he managed to turn on the mountain brake. As the name implies, it is supposed to be used in high elevations during parking so it wont budge if it is turned on. As seen in the video when they try to tow it it doesnt budge at all, again, because the brake was on.

They got in an experienced test driver from UVZ and after a few minutes he figured out that the brake was applied by error, turned it off, stated the engine and it drove away. Again, there was no technical issue with it. Of course the second part where it drives away just fine is never ever shown, because lolRussia and all that. Neither does it stop the media making articles like these;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/07/russian-tank-parade_n_7235228.html

http://mashable.com/2015/05/07/russia-armata-tank-breaks-down/#nH8DjFjedqqz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3071733/Russias-newest-tank-stalls-parade-rehearsal.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32628236

Facts doesnt matter. Drama and clicks most certainly do.

Buk on fire; fail maybe, but falls under shoot happens. Thousands of ICE vehicles set themselves on fire. Heck even when i was serving we have a car that almost managed to do it. That T-15 *did* have a breakdown, transmission issues. IIRC when it was getting on the ramp it was right in front of the US embassy. :woot.gif: Not aware of either T-14 or -15 breaking down during the parade this year. The last one is just an idiot driver braking too sudden and getting rammed, happens all the time so meh.

13 hours ago, 11bee said:

Before you get further butt hurt, just note that I think he's a good guy and should make an outstanding SecDef.  

He probably is "a good guy" but remember that he did handle classified material in a criminal manner. Wasn't just accused of it like certain someone but actually did it, was sentenced for it and pleaded guilty.

53 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

I believe he means Mattis and not Petraeus is a good guy. Petraeus is busy trying to take away veterans rights.

No, I think he means ex-General Mike Flynn, the incoming National Security Adviser, who had taken certain liberties with classified information. I'll give the guy a pass, he's a bit of a wack job but at least in all the pics I've seen he's wearing his flak correctly. 

Well if its equipment wearing faux-pas we're adding to the "fails"...former Canadian Liberal Prime Minister Jean Chretien dawning the Kevlar...

774707-L.jpg

...and nobody in the background thought to help him out...LOL!

Cheers!