I was wondering about available decals for aircraft used during Operation EAGLE CLAW, the failed Iranian hostage rescue attempt in April 1980.  The two aircraft carriers, USS Coral Sea and USS Nimitz featured aircraft that had colorful "identification stripes" painted to their starboard upper & lower wings.  I do have decals for both of the USMC F-4N squadrons, VMFA-232 & VMFA-531 on the USS Coral Sea and the A-7E from VA-97 as well. I thought I saw decals for an A-6E of VA-196, but cannot locate any reference to them online.  Does anyone have any clues?  Did only the aircraft on Coral Sea have the ID stripes, or did Nimitz aircraft also carry them?

Thanks, R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Add more info.

VF-84 Eagle Claw Decals will be available shortly. Sheet will also have Final Countdown and Executive Decision movie markings, Desert Storm, Bosnia and a few other timeframe and options 

from Fightertown Decals. 

Brian

4 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

VF-84 Eagle Claw Decals will be available shortly. Sheet will also have Final Countdown and Executive Decision movie markings, Desert Storm, Bosnia and a few other timeframe and options 

from Fightertown Decals. 

Brian

Nice!

Jonah

6 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

from Fightertown Decals. 

Brian

Thanks! The only ones I've been able to find were for the A-7E.

7 hours ago, Dutch said:

I think I have located a decal for an A-6 from VA-196 though it depicts an earlier deployment off the USS Enterprise; Microscale 48-48.  So, if I can locate the old Revell A-6E No4578 with USS Coral Sea decals, I can do this!

That old Microscale sheet for that 196 tanker isn't too good for your needs I don't think? The spade is completely different and the NK tail codes aren't slanted (plus those decals are pretty vintage).

Plug... still won't help with the slanted NK you need but more VA-196 options that you may find useful if you're going to mix/match for 196:

http://aoadecals.com/48006/home.htm

9 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

from Fightertown Decals. 

Brian

Be still my beating heart.... I CANNOT wait for this.  I will be buying at least a few of these!!! 

Any idea when this will release?

Fightertown Decals 48072 Intruder Intrusion will get you 90% of the way for the VA-196 jet (need USS Coral Sea). I wanted to include those Decals but just ran out of room. The NK, bar and spade match. And the numbers can be matched with available buno. I would always recommend painting the stripes. 

The A-6's NK in that original Eagle Claw photo are slanted/skewed, the N looks to me to match the rudder line. The available decals I know of for 196 are vertical, including MS, AOA, and looks like the Fightertown one too if I'm not mistaken.

21 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

from Fightertown Decals. 

Brian

Hi,

While I already have a couple of neat VF-84 options, I can't help but feel quite excited about this.:woo:

I assume that Fightertown will be releasing some new Tomcat sheets now that we have the Tamiya kit and soon the AMK F-14D? 

I'd love some VF-102 Tomcats from USS America during "Deliberate Force" and VF-21 from that last cruise that included Somalia and OSW. Preferably low-viz line aircraft for both.

Cheers, Stefan.

On 9.12.2016 at 0:42 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

from Fightertown Decals. 

Brian

Great news!!!!!!

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:42 AM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

from Fightertown Decals. 

Brian

Talk about letting the cat out of the bag! No rush Brian,  I'm sanding away on a couple of Mono/Revell Tomcats, and will be done & ready to paint - shortly...

Thanks for the heads up!

-Scott