magnifying using smart phone

This idea just dawned on me.  I've got older eyes so sometimes seeing detail is tricky.  I am also a recent convert to smart phones and I was wondering how many people use the camera on their smart phone...plus the zoom feature to see needed detail when modeling?  I'm not saying take photos...simply looking through the camera with the camera zoomed in.

With the phone set up on a simple stand....this looks like it might work.

I have used my camera phone for this at work for a couple of years, not only to magnify but to see around/behind things where I can't get my head in a position to see. 

I also see people using them to read menus in restaurants.

The one that surprised me was seeing girls use their phones in 'selfie' mode like mirrors to apply makeup.

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

but to see around/behind things where I can't get my head in a position to see. 

This.

I also take pictures of special lamps, filters, and other household consumables to keep on my phone so I can buy the right bits. Taking pictures of appliance model/serial numbers help too. Just recently came in handy when GE called about scheduling a repair visit while we were away on vacation; was able to email the appliance info from 17 Mile Drive in Monterey. :)

• 1 month later...