Getting zapped getting out of the car. Details....

Yesterday after reading all the posts here, I got up to use the break room here at work.  When I touched the handle of the microwave, I got zapped.  Short of connecting anti-static straps to the bottom of my pants, is there any other way to avoid this?  Should I run out and touch my car first?

Eric

You must be getting charged as you are walking on synthetic carpets; insulating soles and dry air is probably contributing to that. If you touched your car or any other highly conductive object that is grounded with your fingertips after you are charged, that would be too late, you'd feel the zap. One way to avoid it is to have a metal object in your pocket (keys, coins etc.) and gently touch the handle with those metallic objects (as somebody suggested on the first page). You will still discharge but the spark will happen away from your fingertips, hence much less annoying. You can hear and see the spark but won't get zapped.