Kitty Hawk SH-2G Super Seasprite 1/48th scale.

Review Name: SH-2G “Super Seasprite”

Reviewer: Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

IPMS No.: 26266

Review Product Type: Aircraft

Review Type: Kit

Scale: 1/48

Manufacturer: Kitty Hawk

Manufacturer website: www.kittyhawkmodel.com

Mfr Stock No.: KH80126

MSRP: $55.95

Provided by: Kitty Hawk

Vendor Web Site: www.kittyhawkmodel.com

Direct Link to Item: http://www.kittyhawkmodel.com/kh80126

Before I begin the review I must say that I ‘work’ with Kitty Hawk.  I’m responsible for their helicopter range of products.  The Seasprite was not one I worked on, but you will see the Werner’s Wings product label on the boxtop.  So with that in mind let’s get to the review

The Super Seasprite is the final variant of the Seasprite helicopter which dated back to Vietnam.  The original plan was to phase out the Seasprite and replace them with the MH-60.  But there was a problem, the MH-60 couldn’t physically fit on the smaller frigates.  The Seasprite would have to sailor on.  The F model was upgraded to the G model.  Bigger engines and transmission were the upgraded as was the mission equipment in the back.  The SH-2G was also sold overseas primarily to New Zealand and more recently to Egypt and Poland.

The previous release from Kitty Hawk on the SH-2F was found to have the wrong forward cowling.  Cobra Company fixed that issue with a correction set.  It was also criticized for lacking mission equipment in the back.  Having the bench seat used for personnel transport.  Again Cobra Company had a set for that.  Would that be the issue this time?  Let’s see what’s in the box.

Before you begin remember that the tolerances are quite tight.  Remove all the sprue stubs.  Test fit before committing to glue.  I recommend that you follow the instructions for the assembly sequence.  It may prevent some issues during assembly.

The box top has a beautiful rendering of a SH-2G from the HSL-94 Willow.  Inside the top opening cardboard box contains six sprues and two fuselage halves of light grey plastic that is free from flash and no short shot parts.  Kitty Hawk recently changed the metal cutter for their plastic so this should prevent the problems that have plagued previous releases.  The plastic is different than previous releases and not as soft plastic that Kitty Hawk has used in the past.  Sprue A is different from the previous release.  This new sprue includes new rear seats, sonar station, engine sponsons and new sliding cargo door.  A sprue of clear plastic is included.  All the sprues are wrapped individually.  A fret of photo etch is included for the screens and other various options.  This fret is different from the previous release to include the seatbelts for the new rear seats.  There are two sheets of decals in full color.  There are decals for the US Navy, Poland, Egypt and New Zealand.  The Polish dragon is impressive and quite colorful.  The instructions are printed in book format.  They are quite extensive.  You will have to be careful of what version you are making to include the right parts.

The parts breakdown is quite extensive.  The interior is the typical starting point.  The first thing you will notice is that there is a sonar operators station included so there is no need for any aftermarket sets here now.  Kitty Hawk listened to the criticism. 

After that it is just a matter of putting the fuselage together.  The fit of the fuselage is very nice as can be seen in their packaging together.  The nose can get a bit confusing so check the drawings to be sure which nose you are going to use. 

The new engine and upper cowling assembly are made up of a few parts so be careful during assembly. 

Armament options include Maverick missiles, Torpedoes, sonar dipping bouy,and external fuel tanks so there are plenty of options when it comes to adding armament.  You’ll have to pick what you want to put on your helicopter to build up the proper stub wings. 

The color callouts are for the Gunze but they also give out the FS number so you can use whatever paint you’d like. 

If you like your helicopters this kit is right up your alley.  Kitty Hawk has listened and answered the critics, by addressing the soft plastic and the short shot parts.  This version of the Super Seasprite features a complete interior and the new engine pods.  Sure the parts breakdown is still intensive but that means they can do multiple variants from one mold.  Is that for everybody?  No, but if you take your time and remove all the sprue stub this kit will fit like a champ.  There are lots of little parts hanging off of this helicopter, which is typical of helicopters.  Kitty Hawk has been going from strength to strength. I can’t wait for their future releases in helicopters and airplanes.  

Highly recommended

Thanks to Kitty Hawk for the review copy.  You can obtain your copy at your local hobby shop or online retailer.  

Boxtop%20Artwork_zpsayqpwqs2.jpg

Decal%20sheet%20main_zps61ote9yp.jpg

Decal%20sheet%20Special%20Markings_zpsdj

Marking%20Option%201_zpsdxwohzfn.jpg

Marking%20Option%202_zpsw8m4nvop.jpg

Marking%20Option%204_zpss1kfis0l.jpg

Marking%20Option%203_zpsm0pc1wgo.jpg

4 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Nice helo Floyd. Wouldn't mind building one if them. KH wouldn't be making a new tooled 1/48 scale H-60 by chance would they? Sure would be nice.

I wouldn't mind seeing a EC-120 model so I could build a Baltimore PD bird.

Tim

Yes it sure would be nice.  A shame I don't have factory drawings and such.  You know things that I could make the pitch to them.  I don't get to pick the subjects.  I just provide whatever help I can.  Then I enlist subject matter experts.  And as much as I'd love to see an EC-120 I know that ain't gonna happen with KH or anybody else. 

Floyd

Mr. Werner, thanks for the review! Quick question though, are the SH-2F parts still included in this boxing? I haven't bought either kit...yet. However, I am planning to do so and if the parts are there to complete either version, then I will just buy two of the later version, since it has the interior parts the "F" versions doesn't. Also, KH goofed on the description of the HSL-94 markings, it should be HSL-94 Willow Grove NAS vice HSL-94 Willow.

Edited by madmanrick

A few nits...

The Red and Yellow thing hanging under the starboard stub wing is the towed MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detector) "Bird." It's trailed out behind the aircraft to get it out of the magnetic influence of the helicopter itself then is used to detect magnetic disturbances caused by the distortions in the Earth's magnetic field caused by the movement through said field by a large metallic object (such as a submarine).

Dipping SONAR isn't a buoy, it's attached to a cable reel and lowered to a particular depth and then used to listen (passive) for a sub or to "ping" (Active) to get range and bearing to your target.

Sonobuoys are expendable units that are dropped from the aircraft and function similar to the dipping SONAR depending on the type of buoy. Thy aren't recovered, after a preset length of time they just sink.

Sorry, I'm an ASW guy, so these are just nitpicks, great review, thanks, Floyd.

13 hours ago, madmanrick said:

Mr. Werner, thanks for the review! Quick question though, are the SH-2F parts still included in this boxing? I haven't bought either kit...yet. However, I am planning to do so and if the parts are there to complete either version, then I will just buy two of the later version, since it has the interior parts the "F" versions doesn't. Also, KH goofed on the description of the HSL-94 markings, it should be HSL-94 Willow Grove NAS vice HSL-94 Willow.

The F parts are there mainly, however, the new sprue has the G model engine pods and not the earlier F model ones.  If you want to build the F you'll need the Cobra Company set for the upper cowling.

3 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Could you post pics of the sprues? What is the cost for this bird?

I will try.  The cost is in the review but it is $55.95

28 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Any info on whether the instrument panels are engraved or just flat plastic that you need to put the decals on?   I'm not a big fan of decals to represent IP's, especially in larger scale models. 

The instrument panel is engraved and the decal fits over it.  I was leary about this approach but tried it on both the AH-1Z and UH-1Y and it worked great.

25 minutes ago, DonSS3 said:

A few nits...

The Red and Yellow thing hanging under the starboard stub wing is the towed MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detector) "Bird." It's trailed out behind the aircraft to get it out of the magnetic influence of the helicopter itself then is used to detect magnetic disturbances caused by the distortions in the Earth's magnetic field caused by the movement through said field by a large metallic object (such as a submarine).

Dipping SONAR isn't a buoy, it's attached to a cable reel and lowered to a particular depth and then used to listen (passive) for a sub or to "ping" (Active) to get range and bearing to your target.

Sonobuoys are expendable units that are dropped from the aircraft and function similar to the dipping SONAR depending on the type of buoy. Thy aren't recovered, after a preset length of time they just sink.

Sorry, I'm an ASW guy, so these are just nitpicks, great review, thanks, Floyd.

Sorry Army guy trying to understand Navy.  Oh by the way, way to go Army beat Navy...finally.  Thanks for keeping me straight

It looks like the kit has the inset FLIR for the current NZ version (ex-Australian airframes).

Kittyhawk+SH-2G+Super+Seasprite+%25281%2

1978314.jpg?v=v40 

It might need a few additional lumps and bumps and that big towel-rail antenna but certainly looks possible with this kit.

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

Second the need for a 1/48 SH-60B or SH-60R kit to be made.

Great review and much appreciated.  Many of my flight instructors and folks I work at NAVAIR with flew the H-2 and loved it (called it a "sports car").  Plus the flying Navy Reserve gets some love with HSL-94 markings.  I do remember seeing them at NAS Willow Grove the few times I flew in there in the late 90's before they decommissioned. 

SH-2G-163214.jpg

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
2 hours ago, 11bee said:

I recall seeing some pics of an SH-2 with dual ALQ-144's and some other mods that were added for operations in the Persian Gulf.  Anyone know if that was the F model or the G?

Like this one? This one clearly is an SH-2F, I personally have not seen any -G's with these mods.

h2_161914.jpg

1 hour ago, otis252 said:

Wouldn't that be a nice size kit for1/35th scale? All that great interior equipment with those open doors. WOW! I'd be all over that.

Chuck

Agreed on that.  I'm finding myself gravitating to 1/35 for all my helos.   This would be a great subject (particularly the cold-war F model), plus it's a naval helo so you can replicate it with folded rotors and save much shelf space.  

I don't see the right bits to actually mount a maverick. I don't see the rail and I'm not sure the stub pylon is right. Am I missing them in the pics? Would be easy enough mods to make, just wanted to know. Gonna order one regardless. 

Dave

Edited by parche
9 hours ago, parche said:

I don't see the right bits to actually mount a maverick. I don't see the rail and I'm not sure the stub pylon is right. Am I missing them in the pics? Would be easy enough mods to make, just wanted to know. Gonna order one regardless. 

Dave

5th picture down, on the right side of the sprue looks like the launcher adapter.