Zoukei **** F-4J Mini Review

I rarely chime in but I cant resist the temptation since I received 2 ZM F-4s today. When Academy launched their F-4B I think I wrote the first review here. Since I was a maintenance officer on F-4s in the USAF and worked around Ns and a few Ss, I have at least some street cred. on some of the technical details on Phantoms. I'm really not an expert and I'm not a rivet counter but if you're like me, you love reading reviews and comments and gathering opinions. Here we go.

From the jump, this is the best F-4 in any scale, not by light years but a solid couple of notches. Now, don't run out and chuck your Academy or Hasegawa kits because they have merit and make nice models in their own right. Heck, i just dusted off a Hasegawa Phantom FG1 a couple weeks back and have got the thing almost ready for paint. I didn't realize the British Phantoms not only had substantial differences due to the Spey engines but many subtle differences and Hasegawa got much of this incorporated in their offering. I'm really impressed and can't wait to finish this model. So, just like fine wine, cigars, vintage cars etc., you need some of all! In general, the overall shapes look excellent based on what I can see in the box and the built up photos. So I can't really comment more. A modeler who posts on ARC is the guy that owns Hypersonic. You'll remember he did corrected ecs scoops, stabs and seats for the Academy model plus a number of other after market parts including OUTSTANDING, long awaited T-38 wheels. Looking at the amount of research that go in to his products and his apparent engineering ability, I agree with recent comments he has made about F-4s here, particularly his opinion of a McDonnell 1/85 scale drawing of the J that was published in a Blue Angels yearbook. The one I have is from 1972. It might be the best drawing out there so it gives us a spring board from which to evaluate the F-4J shape. I'll bet dollars to donuts ZM nails it. But lets dig in to a few details here.

First, You guys will be happy to know that both pilot's and RIO's main vertical instrument panels for both the B and J are included. So, I guess we can assume from this earlier variants are on the cards unless these are intended for very early Js which may have had these configurations. I doubt that though.I'm betting it's for a B/N kit in future. From previous reviews I've seen, the cockpit assembly is very nice and looks quite accurate from memory i.e. where comm switches, engine controls etc are located. The only slight negative is that sidewall detail in the front cockpit is sparse. There was a lot of stuff here on the real jet along with that quilted insulation on formers and other cockpit areas. I'm sure there will be after market stuff to tart these areas up but I going with what's in the box and will scratch minor details and minor they will be. One very lovely piece of detail in this kit is the upper longeron for both cockpits replete with canopy hook latches etc. For an open cockpit model, this detail is welcome indeed. The seats are the best kit supplied offered in this scale. And get this, the emergency o2 gauge is molded right there in the seat cushion where the guy's left thigh would be! The personnel parachute arch contains the round dimples where box springs were fitted on the real thing, face curtain handles are thin etc. The only complaint here is the drogue gun is a little skimpy and the withdrawal line for same is absent as is the harness, lap belts and survival kit straps and leg restraint garters. Also missing to be really, really picky are the banana links that everybody talks about and have actually been replicated on some resin seats. Another substantial detail that will have to be added to the H-7 in the late 70s and 80s is the rocket pack initiator that was moved to the left main beam during this timeframe. Some of the better aftermarket replacement seats have tis detail right and I will want that on my later F-4s when they come out. But now we have gone from what is sublime to what is rediculous! I'm using kit seats full stop. The relief and detail on the instrument panels is top notch and lacks nothing. Relief detail is so good detail painting will be a snap. The missile/weapons selector panel is raised, i think a first in this scale. No photo etch or resin for me. Interestingly, the transparencies aren't the most crystal clear I've seen in kits of late and the cockpit center fairing (with the little window) on my kit has a distortion that I was kind of surprised to find on a premium kit. I think most modelers will do a future dunk and some I'm sure will disagree with my obeservation but this is what I see. Moving on to the airframe, surface detail is slightly less restrained than say Hasegawa, but it's at a level I like from the standpoint of accepting a watercolor wash. From my recollection all panel detail looks right and I love the separate back bone panel which means no seam down the middle and all those fuel probe panels are safe from filling/sanding. External lighting is right for this variant and is complete with one exception; the roll rate light which appears on the LH aft fuselage in the "NAVY" title under the A's horizontal bar. It was green, round and flush. I'm not totally sure if these were present from the factory or added later but I'll dig in to this...I like lights! Struts, gear wells and wells look excellent. The struts look as though they are mounted on trunnions like the real ones but interestingly the main struts lack the "shrink links" that academy included. That's an easy fix. The wells themselves have plenty of detail in including the connections for Power Control I and II found on the inboard most structure. The structure for the rest of the main wells are molded as a single piece where on Academy they were multi part and fussy to get aligned. Oh, the main strut uplock roller is even mounted on the cross member in each well and the struts have finely detailed tie down rings! As you have seen from photos on the web of sprue shots, ZM offers you two very nice J-79s. The Constant Speed Drive housing on the front of the compressor is shaped right and the A/Bs have very nice flame holders and scalloped A/B liners. I can't wait for some brave soul to cut open the engine bay doors depicting either an installed engine or a scratched up engine bay. That would involve sadism! Finally, working our way to the aft section, the groove on the keel section directly adjacent to the nozzles housed a fire loop on the real jet. It's there on the model as is excellent blast panel/shingle detail, the best offered too date. The arresting hook is correct in shape in including shank, shoe and uplock. it looks like you have the option for a hook down as the actuator is molded on. Speaking of things down, ZM gives you the option of leading and trailing edge flaps seperately molded (not the inboard LE). Keep in mind when parked most always these things appeared in the streamlined position except ailerons which bled down several degrees when at repose. The rudder is molded to the fin streamlined. At the tip of the tail and my wordy review are a choice of drag chute doors. The USAF ones had the "smiley" cut out, I don't remember USN's.

As you know, "Showtime 100" VF-96's CAG that Cunningham and Driscoll scored their final kills and subsequently got shot down in is the subject of the excellent decals. It's a shame Cunningham ended up in prison after serving in Congress but those markings take me back to my high school days when he was one of my heros...he still is deep down. I think I might just build one of these kits in those markings along with A VF-92 Silver King from '73 and Flynn's MIG killing VF-31 from the same period. So many F-4s, so little time! I hope you guys will buy this model. It reflects intense research and sincere passion by ZM. They've earned the modeling community's business. Can't wait for more versions!  

Added paragraphs to make it more readable.

I rarely chime in but I cant resist the temptation since I received 2 ZM F-4s today. When Academy launched their F-4B I think I wrote the first review here. Since I was a maintenance officer on F-4s in the USAF and worked around Ns and a few Ss, I have at least some street cred. on some of the technical details on Phantoms. I'm really not an expert and I'm not a rivet counter but if you're like me, you love reading reviews and comments and gathering opinions. Here we go.

From the jump, this is the best F-4 in any scale, not by light years but a solid couple of notches. Now, don't run out and chuck your Academy or Hasegawa kits because they have merit and make nice models in their own right. Heck, i just dusted off a Hasegawa Phantom FG1 a couple weeks back and have got the thing almost ready for paint. I didn't realize the British Phantoms not only had substantial differences due to the Spey engines but many subtle differences and Hasegawa got much of this incorporated in their offering. I'm really impressed and can't wait to finish this model. So, just like fine wine, cigars, vintage cars etc., you need some of all!

In general, the overall shapes look excellent based on what I can see in the box and the built up photos. So I can't really comment more. A modeler who posts on ARC is the guy that owns Hypersonic. You'll remember he did corrected ecs scoops, stabs and seats for the Academy model plus a number of other after market parts including OUTSTANDING, long awaited T-38 wheels. Looking at the amount of research that go in to his products and his apparent engineering ability, I agree with recent comments he has made about F-4s here, particularly his opinion of a McDonnell 1/85 scale drawing of the J that was published in a Blue Angels yearbook. The one I have is from 1972. It might be the best drawing out there so it gives us a spring board from which to evaluate the F-4J shape. I'll bet dollars to donuts ZM nails it. But lets dig in to a few details here.

First, You guys will be happy to know that both pilot's and RIO's main vertical instrument panels for both the B and J are included. So, I guess we can assume from this earlier variants are on the cards unless these are intended for very early Js which may have had these configurations. I doubt that though.I'm betting it's for a B/N kit in future. From previous reviews I've seen, the cockpit assembly is very nice and looks quite accurate from memory i.e. where comm switches, engine controls etc are located. The only slight negative is that sidewall detail in the front cockpit is sparse. There was a lot of stuff here on the real jet along with that quilted insulation on formers and other cockpit areas. I'm sure there will be after market stuff to tart these areas up but I going with what's in the box and will scratch minor details and minor they will be. One very lovely piece of detail in this kit is the upper longeron for both cockpits replete with canopy hook latches etc. For an open cockpit model, this detail is welcome indeed.

The seats are the best kit supplied offered in this scale. And get this, the emergency o2 gauge is molded right there in the seat cushion where the guy's left thigh would be! The personnel parachute arch contains the round dimples where box springs were fitted on the real thing, face curtain handles are thin etc. The only complaint here is the drogue gun is a little skimpy and the withdrawal line for same is absent as is the harness, lap belts and survival kit straps and leg restraint garters. Also missing to be really, really picky are the banana links that everybody talks about and have actually been replicated on some resin seats. Another substantial detail that will have to be added to the H-7 in the late 70s and 80s is the rocket pack initiator that was moved to the left main beam during this timeframe. Some of the better aftermarket replacement seats have tis detail right and I will want that on my later F-4s when they come out. But now we have gone from what is sublime to what is rediculous! I'm using kit seats full stop.

The relief and detail on the instrument panels is top notch and lacks nothing. Relief detail is so good detail painting will be a snap. The missile/weapons selector panel is raised, i think a first in this scale. No photo etch or resin for me. Interestingly, the transparencies aren't the most crystal clear I've seen in kits of late and the cockpit center fairing (with the little window) on my kit has a distortion that I was kind of surprised to find on a premium kit. I think most modelers will do a future dunk and some I'm sure will disagree with my obeservation but this is what I see.

Moving on to the airframe, surface detail is slightly less restrained than say Hasegawa, but it's at a level I like from the standpoint of accepting a watercolor wash. From my recollection all panel detail looks right and I love the separate back bone panel which means no seam down the middle and all those fuel probe panels are safe from filling/sanding. External lighting is right for this variant and is complete with one exception; the roll rate light which appears on the LH aft fuselage in the "NAVY" title under the A's horizontal bar. It was green, round and flush. I'm not totally sure if these were present from the factory or added later but I'll dig in to this...I like lights!

Struts, gear wells and wells look excellent. The struts look as though they are mounted on trunnions like the real ones but interestingly the main struts lack the "shrink links" that academy included. That's an easy fix. The wells themselves have plenty of detail in including the connections for Power Control I and II found on the inboard most structure. The structure for the rest of the main wells are molded as a single piece where on Academy they were multi part and fussy to get aligned. Oh, the main strut uplock roller is even mounted on the cross member in each well and the struts have finely detailed tie down rings! 

As you have seen from photos on the web of sprue shots, ZM offers you two very nice J-79s. The Constant Speed Drive housing on the front of the compressor is shaped right and the A/Bs have very nice flame holders and scalloped A/B liners. I can't wait for some brave soul to cut open the engine bay doors depicting either an installed engine or a scratched up engine bay. That would involve sadism! Finally, working our way to the aft section, the groove on the keel section directly adjacent to the nozzles housed a fire loop on the real jet. It's there on the model as is excellent blast panel/shingle detail, the best offered too date.

The arresting hook is correct in shape in including shank, shoe and uplock. it looks like you have the option for a hook down as the actuator is molded on. Speaking of things down, ZM gives you the option of leading and trailing edge flaps seperately molded (not the inboard LE). Keep in mind when parked most always these things appeared in the streamlined position except ailerons which bled down several degrees when at repose. The rudder is molded to the fin streamlined. At the tip of the tail and my wordy review are a choice of drag chute doors. The USAF ones had the "smiley" cut out, I don't remember USN's.

As you know, "Showtime 100" VF-96's CAG that Cunningham and Driscoll scored their final kills and subsequently got shot down in is the subject of the excellent decals. It's a shame Cunningham ended up in prison after serving in Congress but those markings take me back to my high school days when he was one of my heros...he still is deep down. I think I might just build one of these kits in those markings along with A VF-92 Silver King from '73 and Flynn's MIG killing VF-31 from the same period. So many F-4s, so little time! I hope you guys will buy this model. It reflects intense research and sincere passion by ZM. They've earned the modeling community's business. Can't wait for more versions!  

I saw this kit in the box and had a chance to look it over for about 15 minutes.  Agree, looks terrific in the box and can't wait to see it built by many many modelers out there. 

Only markings I saw in the box was 'Showtime 100', which has to be the most over-represented markings out there.  Hopefully the tons of colorful aftermarket decals out there for the Hasegawa and/or Academy J kits will fit with no real issue. 

Cheers

Collin

10 hours ago, BillS said:

ZM gives you the option of leading and trailing edge flaps seperately molded (not the inboard LE).

But since ZM does not provide the outboard leading edge flaps, the trailing edge flaps can't be posed down since they all work together. I think the kit's middle leading edge flap piece is removable to allow insertion of slatted flaps on future models. A set of leading edge flaps would be a good candidate for a conversion set from Hypersonic or Wolfpack ( à la their 1/72 sets).

Thanks for the excellent in-box review, Bill ... looking forward to your comments on fit, etc. In that regard my taped up trial fit is excellent all around. My only negatives are minor: first, that some of the sprue attachment points are in awkward locations (probably owing to technical  reasons regarding molding) so require very careful trimming -- for example on the spine where the top insert piece goes;  and second, that the English text could/should have been better edited.

Appreciate your observations about the possibility of a future B/N model. Would be a best seller, I think.

Gene K

Another point of the transparencys is that the windscreen glass is attached to a sprue gate😕

This can make removing the windscreen from the gate without marrying it pacarious at best. 

It will most likely require some cleaning up with fine grit sand paper and polishing compounds to remove any marring or damage to the windscreen. 

Other than that that nit pick I will at some point will purchase the J and S model Phantoms from ZM👍

Thank you GB MADCAT SL for posting this review 👌

Mr. Happy (in name only)

I stand corrected . 

Thank you to Bill S & GB MADCAT SL (Mark) , for taking the time to post this and revising it to paragraph form👍

Mr. Happy (In name only)🙄

Hope you can do a photo build review sometime in the future, just a thought🤔

I got mine too. Very impressed with the kit. I don't think I will need any aftermarket for it.

I'm keeping my Hasegawa and Academy kits though, they are nice too, but definitely not as nice as ZM offering.

Looking forward for the next Phantom II versions from ZM

Juan

12 hours ago, galfa said:

Marketing - Marketing - Marketing

That's a rather rude remark considering the effort BillS put into a relatively thorough and objective review.

Cheers,

John

I'll get one if they make an F-4E. I've got enough Hasegawa/Academy to keep me happy in the F-4B/C/D/J department. I'm actually quite surprised that Academy haven't done much with their phantoms since the F-4C/D release.

It's been over 2 years now!

Hi guys, it's Bill again. First, thanks Mark for putting my rambling into paragraphs. I write as I think, sort of a style adopted from Jaques Keriouac! Not really, but I was in a hurry, tired with the wife looking over my shoulder! Anyway Juan asked for pics but I have a better idea and that is to google a modeler names Viktor Mullin. Do you guys know him? Anyway, I love watching his reviews and his critique of the F-4 is no exception. Thanks for your encouragement and kind comments. I admit the reason fro my enthusiasm is models are a "feel good" thing carried over from a great childhood filled with models and sitting on the sand dunes near LAX with my father watching  airplanes almost every night. I'm not a schill for any model company but more of a cheer leader. I hate to see this hobby become a thing only old guys do, but I think that's it's fate.