Any early 1/48 F-14 VF 213 decals out there ?

Hello modeling friends and cat lovers 

Tamiya's F-14 A is here for a few weeks now and the aftermarket community has already made some interresting stuff like new decals sheets for those early cats, I think about furball with it´s 76-79´ colorfull time frame recent sheet, but not a single VF 213 cat. I'd give two often seen jolly rogers for a rarely seen single black lion... Does anyone know if there is some mid to late 70' VF 213 sheet on the drawing board of a decal maker for a near future? I think CAM decals made one but it is not avaible now.

best regards

Edited by Grizzly

Apart from the last cruise, the only VF-213 decals I ever saw was the old Microscale with VF-84. Also I think one dark grey/black sheet that came out around 1985 ish. Do not remember the company name but it came with a photograph of the real thing. Also some of the other CVW birds, VF-114 a Corsair and a Intruder. But I do not remember which squadrons.

3 hours ago, silverkite211 said:

I believe that the Academy kit came with those markings, as well.

Academy had Pukin Dogs. I don't recall them ever doing a 213 sheet. Not in the original offering and not in the Bombcat. I suppose it might be in the VF-1 boxing, but not sure about that.

2 hours ago, Jay Chladek said:

Academy had Pukin Dogs. I don't recall them ever doing a 213 sheet. Not in the original offering and not in the Bombcat. I suppose it might be in the VF-1 boxing, but not sure about that.

Yes, I got to thinking about that, after I posted, I remember the VF-143 markings, I (mistakenly) had in mind that there were VF-213 markings on the sheet, too.

Thanks to all for your help. :thumbsup: 

Since I have a fairly high stockpile, I think I'll be patient and wait for a new sheet from Furball or Figthertown if I cannot find an Italieri spare sheet or the old supercale one.

The problem with the Italieri sheet : the yellow stars on the rudder are printed on the blue background. I'd prefer separate stars on a painted rudder.

I'm pretty sure that Cam decals made an early 1976/77 black lion, but I'm unable to find this one on the internet (Even in 1/32 or 1/72 scale...)

Tomthegrom : thanks, I've never seen this hasegawa box. Should be one of hasegawa's ultra limited series...

13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The problem with the Italieri sheet : the yellow stars on the rudder are printed on the blue background. I'd prefer separate stars on a painted rudder.

One way you could get around that would be to trim the stars off. I'm not talking cuts right up to the edge (tedious to do), but perhaps some pentagon shapes leaving a little blue. Then they can be applied over the blue painted rudders. Granted there might be a risk that the blue decal film might not match the paint perfectly, but that could be overcome with clear decal film painted with the blue of the rudders (if enamel or lacquer is used) to apply over the top to cover up any obvious areas where the color change is too noticeable.

It might also be possible to source some star shaped masks of the right sizes. Then the rudders could be painted yellow, have the masks applied, apply the blue and pull the masks off to reveal yellow stars. 

On 2016-12-13 at 2:22 PM, Grizzly said:

Tamiya's F-14 A is here for a few weeks now and the aftermarket community has already made some interresting stuff like new decals sheets for those early cats, I think about furball with it´s 76-79´ colorfull time frame recent sheet, but not a single VF 213 cat. I'd give two often seen jolly rogers for a rarely seen single black lion... Does anyone know if there is some mid to late 70' VF 213 sheet on the drawing board of a decal maker for a near future? I think CAM decals made one but it is not avaible now.

best regards

Are the new Furball sheets sized for the Tamiya kit? When you read the description it says it is sized fir the Hasegawa. 

I don't think any of aftermarket community has produced decals sized for the Tamiya kit yet.

All we have seen are re-pops.

Edited by Scooby

There will be Tamiya specific Tomcat Decals shortly from Fightertown Decals ;) although almost everything shaped for Hasegawa works for Tamiya. Only the full tail sized Decals need some adjustments. 

I would also expect Decals from other manufacturers in the near future. 

17 hours ago, Scooby said:

Are the new Furball sheets sized for the Tamiya kit? When you read the description it says it is sized fir the Hasegawa. 

The new Furball sheet is advertised to be sized to fit Tamiya's F14. 

I remember I had to trim 1/72 Cam decals sized for hasegawa's to fit fujimi's cat, both are 1/72...

Edited by Grizzly
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, Grizzly said:

best regards

I have that Microscale sheet M48-57. I also have the companion sheet M48-58. The squadron decals are in pretty good shape,(no yellowing) but the companion sheet that has the data has a little. Could use a few days is a sunny window. Also, the data sheet is missing some decals. The side consoles are missing and a few others that I can't remember what they were. Perhaps some markings for the Phoenix missiles. Some of the glue on the sheet is missing as well. The decals themselves should be fine with Microset or Future. I thought the markings looked familiar when I saw the graphic. The set has both VF-213 and VF-84 high viz on it and VF-1 Ferris. Let me know if you still need it.

Edited by jpk