Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18A+/B/CF-188 kit?

Ok, So I was looking at Lucky Model's site and they have them in stock, I must have missed the memo about the release of the kit. Does anyone have this kit yet, and if so, do we have a winner?

TIA

Brad

Edited by Brad-M
Amended

I don't but the mixed reviews I have read about it say it is good. I read they fixed the tail fins. My Mk. I eyeball didn't like some details but having the kit in hand may change all of that. I plan on buying one.

I think the kit has been out just over a week.

13 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Thanks Guys. I guess I'll get one for a Christmas gift. Is there a seat in there specific to our RCAF birds Scooby, or do we need to source an AM seat?

Brad

I imagine with Rick's involvement with the kit they'd have got the seat correct.

You are asking a guy that always goes aftermarket for ejection seats!

I do hear the new Z-M Phantom has a seat that rivals resin seats though. And GWH seats are nice too.

Edited by Scooby

Can't wait to get this kit.  Too bad though that Kinetic didn't include the "fat pylon" that is always carried on the CF-18.  It wouldn't have taken much to add the pylon on the new sprue.  Having said that, I talked to Gustav Jung at Wolfpack Design and he is considering revising his "Op Impact" resin update set (which is now discontinued), and putting out a CF-188 update set for the Kinetic kit.  I had suggested not only doing the fat pylon, but also include his resin SJU-17 NACES seats, along with the JHMCS for the inside of the canopy.

Also hoping that Kinetic will fix the spelling mistakes I found on a couple of the RCAF pilots and techs that are on the decal sheet.  I had messaged Kinetic and let them know, but the first run of decals had already been printed.  Kinetic said they would try to correct the spelling errors on the next production run though.  One other FYI....when it comes to the painting instructions on the CF-18 schemes, the instructions call for the false canopy to be painted black.  That's incorrect.  The false canopy on all CF-188s is FS 36118 Gunship Gray.

I'm very happy with the separate rudders for the vertical stabs though!  No butt joint, like the Hasegawa kit.  The ATARS package is also a nice treat!  It would be great to be able to build a Marine D, with ATARS, right out of the box.  Also, the old style, vertical, vhf/uhf antennas are included, so one can even backdate the bird to before the R1 and R2 mods.

Again, can't wait to get this kit!!!!

Hi Colin,

Thanks for all the info. I have one of the Wolfpack Op Impact sets with the seat, so I'll be using it in my kit when it arrives. I also have a nice sheet of decals from Canuck, but I'll hold off to see what else Wolfpack comes out before starting the kit. I don't have a CF-188 on my shelves yet, so I hope this kit is nice to build. 

Cheers

Brad

Edited by Brad-M
On 12/16/2016 at 3:00 AM, Colin K said:

Can't wait to get this kit.  Too bad though that Kinetic didn't include the "fat pylon" that is always carried on the CF-18.  It wouldn't have taken much to add the pylon on the new sprue.  Having said that, I talked to Gustav Jung at Wolfpack Design and he is considering revising his "Op Impact" resin update set (which is now discontinued), and putting out a CF-188 update set for the Kinetic kit.  I had suggested not only doing the fat pylon, but also include his resin SJU-17 NACES seats, along with the JHMCS for the inside of the canopy.

Thanks for the tip Colin about the fat pylons. That is why I managed to pick up some of Rick Chin's "The Major" line of pylons for the CF-18. Were there 1 or 2 carried?

2 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Thanks for the tip Colin about the fat pylons. That is why I managed to pick up some of Rick Chin's "The Major" line of pylons for the CF-18. Were there 1 or 2 carried?

Just one, Chris.  Station 2 or 8, but I usually see them all on station 8.

On 2016-12-16 at 3:00 AM, Colin K said:

Also hoping that Kinetic will fix the spelling mistakes I found on a couple of the RCAF pilots and techs that are on the decal sheet.  I had messaged Kinetic and let them know, but the first run of decals had already been printed.  Kinetic said they would try to correct the spelling errors on the next production run though.  One other FYI....when it comes to the painting instructions on the CF-18 schemes, the instructions call for the false canopy to be painted black.  That's incorrect.  The false canopy on all CF-188s is FS 36118 Gunship Gray.

I'm very happy with the separate rudders for the vertical stabs though!  No butt joint, like the Hasegawa kit.  The ATARS package is also a nice treat!  It would be great to be able to build a Marine D, with ATARS, right out of the box.  Also, the old style, vertical, vhf/uhf antennas are included, so one can even backdate the bird to before the R1 and R2 mods.

Again, can't wait to get this kit!!!!

We didn't always fly with the fat pylon. Yes, on wartime ops though.

Just now, Scooby said:

We didn't always fly with the fat pylon. Yes, on wartime ops though.

Did they have enough pylons for every jet, back when we had more than 76?  Every jet I seem to see these days almost always has one, even 410 jets, when they are actually loaded with 4 pylons.

Thanks for the clarification on station 2 as well.

21 minutes ago, Colin K said:

Did they have enough pylons for every jet, back when we had more than 76?  Every jet I seem to see these days almost always has one, even 410 jets, when they are actually loaded with 4 pylons.

Thanks for the clarification on station 2 as well.

No we didn't. 410 did have any. So dropping to 76 probably allowed for that when they upgraded the EW Suite.

1 hour ago, Brad-M said:

So where do I find one of these pylons?

Thanks

Brad

Brad....Wolfpack put out a resin set that included the fat pylon, NACES seat, Sniper (and adaptor), all the new antennas, etc.  It's discontinued now, but you still might be able to find it at Spruebrothers.com.