Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18A+/B/CF-188 kit?

On 23/12/2016 at 5:47 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Not always on the 2 stn, I'm not going to say they are not carried on the 2 stn, just saying in my experience 8 stn was a valid position. Not always in war time ops. Sometimes the config for an ac for a specific mission for training and for proficiencies.

Hornet Under right.jpg

The "fat" pylon can go on any of the 4 underwing stations, of course. The reason it was almost always on 2 and 8 is that there are no fuel tanks on 2 and 8. If you had bought a bunch of expensive avionics boxes (jammers) to go inside pylons, would you risk installing those pylons with fuel tanks that might leak inside the pylon and fry your electronics? Other reasons for which side (left or right, stn 2 or 8) are classified and I can't go into them on any forum. This was my bread and butter as a Squadron and Wing EW Officer.

ALF

2 hours ago, ALF18 said:

The "fat" pylon can go on any of the 4 underwing stations, of course. The reason it was almost always on 2 and 8 is that there are no fuel tanks on 2 and 8. If you had bought a bunch of expensive avionics boxes (jammers) to go inside pylons, would you risk installing those pylons with fuel tanks that might leak inside the pylon and fry your electronics? Other reasons for which side (left or right, stn 2 or 8) are classified and I can't go into them on any forum. This was my bread and butter as a Squadron and Wing EW Officer.

ALF

I know why. 😜

Ok got my kit today and made some comparisons to the earlier kits. 

Decals are nice..... but no cockpit decals are included which means I'll need to use AM cockpit upgrade set.

First off the C/D tails are included and they have been updated. So if you have the previous releases you can probably give Lucky Model or Kinetic a call and get replacement tails.

One issue though..... I can't seem to find That round Sat antenna that is on the latest upgraded hornets on the spine behind the Cockpit. Decals are included. 

One small thing though I think I will be using Royal Resin wheels and AM seats/cockpit instruments details.

Cheers

Emil

Edited by Emvar
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up on the decal sheet for the original release, kit #48030.  I've started decaling my build and there aren't enough of the footprint with the X through them decals (#71) to do the entire kit, as per the decal instructions.  They're short by 16 of them.

34793182304_bc0661aa41_c.jpg

I've done the starboard top, along with the starboard horizontal stabilizer, and placed a couple more on the port side.  The port wing and horizontal stabilizer require more decals than supplied with the kit.  So far, the Cartograf printed decals are very nice.  I'm going to send Raymond Chung a note to see if I can get a couple of more sets of decals as I have another of these kits in my stash.

Mike

Just a word of warning, with regards to the Sniper pod, if you are doing a current CF-188.  Remove the stubs on the adaptor for the Sniper.  They plug into corresponding square holes on top of the Sniper pod.  If you don't, the intake on the Sniper will be angled out 45 degrees.  When Sniper is mounted on the Hornet, the intake should point straight down.  I caught this while dry fitting the pod.  

Edited by Colin K
  • 1 month later...
On 11/4/2017 at 11:01 AM, AX 365 said:

Just a heads up on the decal sheet for the original release, kit #48030.  I've started decaling my build and there aren't enough of the footprint with the X through them decals (#71) to do the entire kit, as per the decal instructions.  They're short by 16 of them.

34793182304_bc0661aa41_c.jpg

I've done the starboard top, along with the starboard horizontal stabilizer, and placed a couple more on the port side.  The port wing and horizontal stabilizer require more decals than supplied with the kit.  So far, the Cartograf printed decals are very nice.  I'm going to send Raymond Chung a note to see if I can get a couple of more sets of decals as I have another of these kits in my stash.

Mike

As noted in this post, I sent Mr. Chung a message regarding the shortage of the 'No Step' decals for the CF-18 as asked for some replacements for this kit and another I have in the stash.  In today's mail, I received two complete decal sheets for this kit.

I've got to say that my experience with Mr. Chung in this interaction has been top notch.  Although it took two months to receive them, the end result is that I got them without any problems.  I knew there would probably be a bit of a wait for them but that's a minor problem compared to other things.

Thank you for your wonderful service, Raymond.  Great job.

Mike