1/48 gwh f-15i to f-15e

Question guys, I have a 1/48 Great Wall hobbies f-15i coming and I would like to turn it into a f-15e, I'm no eagle expert here, what all do I need to do to make this work or is a f-15i and f-15e pretty much the same thing

thanks guys

jeff

The wso left circut breaker area is wrong from the "I" to an "E". Everything else is in the box shaded not to be used in the instructions. The kit has AIM-120'S but not AIM-9's. Dont use the called for exhausts. 

1 hour ago, thegoodsgt said:

If you want to do an F-15E but you're in no huge rush, I'd suggest waiting a bit. GWH has been aggressive in re-tooling several variants already, so it's not hard to imagine them doing an E within the next year or two.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

That's what I'm talking about!

I think the Revell kit may finally be trumped. And it looks like you could get a great F-15E (minus the decals) from the F-15K kit show above. The only problems with the F-15K I see is that the Kilo uses the GE engines with the Turkey Feathers, and I don't see those included. Also, the F-15K has used the Sniper pod from the get-go. Other than that, the kit looks damn near perfect, even including the extended CFT pylons and the Tiger Eye IRST. 

Aaron

ps. To answer the OP's question, the F-15I and the F-15E are pretty alike. The F-15I uses the turkey feathers, so you need to source feathered exhausts (Tamiya F-16's are a good place). If you are modelling a current F-15E, you need to source ADU-552's and LAU-128's for all four stations, and AIM-9's as stated, and a Sniper pod to replace the LANTIRN/Litening targeting pod. Don't install the "R2D2" unit behind the WSO. And make sure you install one "fat" antennae on the left vertical tail and a "skinny" counter balance on the right. The F-15I has both sides skinny.  

Edited by strikeeagle801
8 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

The only problems with the F-15K I see is that the Kilo uses the GE engines with the Turkey Feathers, and I don't see those included.

Actually only their first batch had GE engines, the second batch has F100s. (02-serials are F110, 08-serials are F100)

17 hours ago, Koen L said:

Actually only their first batch had GE engines, the second batch has F100s. (02-serials are F110, 08-serials are F100)

Okay. I stand partially corrected then. It would still be nice to include the GE's so you could build both batches, and honestly I think I prefer the Revell F100's to the ones shown there. But that's just me. 

Aaron 

USAF E's had a variation of antennae shapes on the stinger early on in production. It would not be weird to see variation from jet to jet, even the C/D models had variations, same would apply to the upper and lower UHF antennae variing between the normal blade and shark fin blade antennae. When a jet is on the schedule the next day you install what stock is available. 

On December 19, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Stinger16 said:

Well unfortunately the 1/48 f-15 k is not available here in the US, I have a 1/48 f-15i, can these be done to convert it into a f-15e, are there parts out there I can substitute if need be

thx

jeff

The Imodel has chaff and flare mods under the tails  just aft of the CFT. Pretty much the exported E model externally, minor differance a but not noticed in 1/48.

The exhaust nozzles from the Revell F-15E are definitely more accurate...I worked the F-15C/D/Es for 15 years, as an engine mechanic. Alternatively, you could pick up a set of the Aires F-15E nozzles. They too are excellent representations. Regarding the Sniper pod, there is a limited supply of them, so they are mainly used "down range." Stateside, you'll usually see the Mud Hen loaded with a Lantirn pod. So, you do have a choice depending on what you want to depict.

1 hour ago, MAC said:

The exhaust nozzles from the Revell F-15E are definitely more accurate...I worked the F-15C/D/Es for 15 years, as an engine mechanic. Alternatively, you could pick up a set of the Aires F-15E nozzles. They too are excellent representations. Regarding the Sniper pod, there is a limited supply of them, so they are mainly used "down range." Stateside, you'll usually see the Mud Hen loaded with a Lantirn pod. So, you do have a choice depending on what you want to depict.

Are you still in? Worked A though S models 16 years Crew Chief, Engines and 4 years Crash Recovery. Where were you stationed? Retired a bit ago, worked Mudhens at the Heath A,B,C,D Langley, Kadena and Elmendorf, I and S model at the Heath and I model with JASDF.  

Cheers

11 minutes ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

Are you still in? Worked A though S models 16 years Crew Chief, Engines and 4 years Crash Recovery. Where were you stationed? Retired a bit ago, worked Mudhens at the Heath A,B,C,D Langley, Kadena and Elmendorf, I and S model at the Heath and I model with JASDF.  

Cheers

In for a few more days. Last day of active duty is 31 Jan. I was at the Heath from 93-04 and Elmo from 04-12. At Whiteman AFB right now. I remember when the I and S models passed through RAFL on their delivery flights. I also remember a certain little incident with the P&W emblems on the S models. Also remember the Dark Gray going through the hush house door and the one that cart wheeled on the runway.

I was at the Heath for the emblem removal incident, did they figure out who did it? I had heard it was someone that worked inshop? The Hush house I was doing final out processing but the Mudhen doing the Groundloop I was there for. Started terminal leave 6 nov 2000

Edited by Ol Crew Dog
12 minutes ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

I was at the Heath for the emblem removal incident, did they figure out who did it? I had heard it was someone that worked inshop? The Hush house I was doing final out processing but the Mudhen doing the Groundloop I was there for. Started terminal leave 6 nov 2000

Don't know if they ever did find out who, but I know it was returned. I worked test cell my last five years at RAFL. Finishing up career here at Whiteman, I was the B-2 Propulsion Flight Chief and Squadron Lead Production Superintendent. BTW, thank you for your service and leading the way.

13 hours ago, MAC said:

The LANTIRN target pods have gone the way of the dinosaur and are no longer in use (from about mid 2014) - just an FYI for anyone looking to model a more current USAF Strike Eagle

Edited by Falconxlvi
8 hours ago, MAC said:

Don't know if they ever did find out who, but I know it was returned. I worked test cell my last five years at RAFL. Finishing up career here at Whiteman, I was the B-2 Propulsion Flight Chief and Squadron Lead Production Superintendent. BTW, thank you for your service and leading the way.

Yea they tried to pin it on my TA guys, I think it was someone from the 494th. There's a picture of the ground loop jet , I am in one of the pictures standing by the nose. After retirement went on the JSF as an R&D test cell for the B model lift fan. 

Still keep in touch with most, mostly Facebook. 

Thank you for yourservice! 

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

What exactly was the emblem removal incident? This sounds like an interesting story.

On the Pratt an Whitney PW100F100's when brand new from the factory they have the  P&W Eagle Elblem embossed in Metal  fastened on the side of the engine casing. When you get a brand new jet first thing you do is drop panels for acceptance inspection and also the Crew Chief of the jet gets them if he is the first on the jet, I have 2 from the 2 brand new factory fresh jets I received from the factory.   When the S models transitioned to those owner countries they flew through American bases marked with American insignia. They would transition through Lakenheath and Crash Recovery and Transient Alert took care of them when they flew through. One time they came in and was sitting on the ramp, that night I was called to come in as there was an international incident, somebody took the  coins off an non American aircraft, big trouble. We had to go through a bunch of red tape just to drop a panel to check a leak. Not a good thing, all my guys passed the scrutiny and interrogation so they announced that whomever took them just return them no questions asked ASAP to avoid notifying the owner country, they showed up the next morning. From that point on the I and S models were recovered on the deserted north side of the ramp in guarded HAS. I have pictures on my computer, could post some pics of the I models with American star and bars in Israeli camouflage! Cool can you imagine having an argument about the accuracy at a contest, Isreali camouflage with American insignia, sounds like Iron Eagle!

Thanks for the story. It makes a layperson like myself understand the "culture" of the ground crews and sounds fascinating. Do you or anyone else have a photo of the emblem? Just curious to see one if it's possible. Maybe, just maybe, there is someone wild enough to scratch build it for an engine removed from the aircraft..........?