F-4 Phantom II variants for modelers

Very interesting project! I fixed a couple of typos for you.

I suggest deleting "Outer" from "Outer wings slatted." The inboard section was also fitted with slats. Perhaps just use "Slatted wings" (Y/N).

Janissary, yes the inboard and outboard slats on the S were shaped differently from those on the Air Force jets.The inboards left a lip under the leading edge of the wing when they were retracted, and both the inboards and outboards were thicker and more blunt than the Air Force version. You would have to have several photos of each version to fully explain the differences. You would probably have to have an illustrated paragraph just to explain the difference between leading edge slats and leading edge flaps! :can-of-worms:  

How was the RF-4C tail different from the others? That's a new one on me.

Speaking of tails, the little intake at the base of the fin was different between the early and later models. The E/F/G/J/S/FG.1/FGR.2 that had a slightly different design than the A/B/C/D/RF-4C. The later jets had a small horizontal splitter plate on the intake. Link

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Very interesting project! I fixed a couple of typos for you.

I suggest deleting "Outer" from "Outer wings slatted." The inboard section was also fitted with slats. Perhaps just use "Slatted wings" (Y/N).

Janissary, yes the inboard and outboard slats on the S were shaped differently from those on the Air Force jets.The inboards left a lip under the leading edge of the wing when they were retracted, and both the inboards and outboards were thicker and more blunt than the Air Force version. You would have to have several photos of each version to fully explain the differences. You would probably have to have an illustrated paragraph just to explain the difference between leading edge slats and leading edge flaps! :can-of-worms:  

How was the RF-4C tail different from the others? That's a new one on me.

Speaking of tails, the little intake at the base of the fin was different between the early and later models. The E/F/G/J/S/FG.1/FGR.2 that had a slightly different design than the A/B/C/D/RF-4C. The later jets had a small horizontal splitter plate on the intake. Link

Ben

i was also wondering about that also.

I wasn't sure if I should have added that tail info or not.

It seemed to have lit off a firestorm the last time I mentioned it,,,,,,,even though it sticks out like a sore thumb once it is pointed out.

But, believe me, when a "heavy highlighting modeler" fills those lines in, you can definitely see the two tail types.

Thanks all for the input, sooo much to learn... Can those with the answers please complete the following cells?

- Ejection seats for the empty cells? Especially C/D, F, and G would be much appreciated. 

- In the intakes, the options seems to be standard vs non-standard. However, there is also 'enlarged' that appears. Can you please make them consistent?

- Any hyperlinks to Leading Edge Flaps [3,2,0] possible?

- The row of fuel dump tube seems sparse. Do we know this feature for the empty variants?

All, this might be obvious, but you can download the table in various formats using File > Download if you want a local copy. 

Edit: Also F-4J(UK) has an X for thin versus thick wings. Can that be corrected?

Edited by Janissary

If the F4H-1/F4H-1F/F-4A is going to be on the table, then there needed to be THREE types of intakes and ramps, not just the two that were already there. (actually, 4 intakes, 3+ sets of ramps)

Kim has a page on the Phantom Phacts blog that shows the US intake evolution. Tommy has an F-4A features page.

Patience, Grasshopper,,,,,,it is going to take a while to type out the 1000s of detail variations and combinations possible. (sorting out the combos that were actually used versus what can be glued together, but weren't real)

7 hours ago, Janissary said:

Thanks all for the input, sooo much to learn... Can those with the answers please complete the following cells?

- Ejection seats for the empty cells? Especially C/D, F, and G would be much appreciated. 

- In the intakes, the options seems to be standard vs non-standard. However, there is also 'enlarged' that appears. Can you please make them consistent?

- Any hyperlinks to Leading Edge Flaps [3,2,0] possible?

- The row of fuel dump tube seems sparse. Do we know this feature for the empty variants?

All, this might be obvious, but you can download the table in various formats using File > Download if you want a local copy. 

Edit: Also F-4J(UK) has an X for thin versus thick wings. Can that be corrected?

Generally... fuel dump tubes were all the same..

The Spey  had a shallow  Y shaped tube,as opposed to the J 79,who had a more  flat hammerhead  one