Scratchbuilding spacecraft - cockpit

Quick question - if one were to build a spacecraft from scratch, what would be a good (aircraft) cockpit to start with?

- 1 - 2 seats preferred. 

- other than the F-117, already comtemplating that one.

Matt:foof:

Your question is rather broad and lacking in details, such as size you'd like.  The 1:48 Monogram F-106 single-seat and F-101B two-seat cockpits are very nice for their size in an older, cheaper mold.  Anything kitted in the past twenty years will be very nice. 1:32 cockpits are even better for details. For big two-seaters, a U.S. F-4E Phantom or British Tornado can be found in the Revell line so would be fairly inexpensive to acquire. I'm not sure how much their F-15E goes for these days.

The scale you are working with is important to consider. For example: I'm working on a Star Wars inspired fighter based on the fuselage of a scrapped 1/48 Bf109E. For the cockpit, I scavenged parts from a scrapped 1/72 Fujimi F-14 mainly the RIO's panel and an Ejector seat.

To me it depends on what "style" of space craft you want to end up with. Do you want a Star Wars type used universe like X-wings or really used look like something from Aliens or 50's 60's era style clean look?

I would start with what you want the craft to look like, and then find a cockpit that matches that look. I always thought the A-6 was a neat looking busy cockpit that would be good for Star Wars style but side by side. Really though the sky's the limit.

Bill

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Your question is rather broad and lacking in details, such as size you'd like.  The 1:48 Monogram F-106 single-seat and F-101B two-seat cockpits are very nice for their size in an older, cheaper mold.  Anything kitted in the past twenty years will be very nice. 1:32 cockpits are even better for details. For big two-seaters, a U.S. F-4E Phantom or British Tornado can be found in the Revell line so would be fairly inexpensive to acquire. I'm not sure how much their F-15E goes for these days.

1/48 scale - forgot to mention that.  :doh:

2 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

The scale you are working with is important to consider. For example: I'm working on a Star Wars inspired fighter based on the fuselage of a scrapped 1/48 Bf109E. For the cockpit, I scavenged parts from a scrapped 1/72 Fujimi F-14 mainly the RIO's panel and an Ejector seat.

Sounds interesting - any pics?

Don't forget about 1/48 WWII bomber cockpits as a starting base. For example when I see the Millenium Falcon's cockpit/nose section I am reminded of the He. 111 bomber (or to a slightly lesser extent a B-29). Monogram/Revell 1/48 WWII bomber kits can be had for cheap (cheaper if you get one started and seeing as how you will no doubt be cutting the kit up and scratching the interior then who cares if the kits been started). You can jam them full of computer screens from more modern AC kits or left over resin or P.E.

Good luck and enjoy!

Pretty much anything can work, so even a WW2 era cockpit can work, as long as you have a floor, a seat and control sticks. For donor kits in 1/48, the Revell/Monogram stuff works great for not a lot of money as their panels always have some nice surface relief and they give you good pilot figures as well. In 1/72 things become a little scarcer, although Airfix kits typically have decent cockpits and pilots, even if the instrument panels are decals.

Concerning the methodology, I wouldn't overthink it. Treat an SF scratchbuild like a forest and don't necessarily build every little tree, unless you want to make the cockpit a big time focal point for attraction when it is on display. Sometimes even a little cardstock and a seat are all you need if you can't really see much of the cockpit panels anyway.

Edited by Jay Chladek

If nothing else, just grab as many seats as you need, modify them enough to be less reconizable,, build the shape and size you want, and add in the details as necessary.  It's not that hard, I've done it a few times and am getting ready to do another one.  Just use your imagination, talent, and skill.