Jump to content

1 48 Douglas B-66 conversion kit?


Recommended Posts

So we have the 1 48 Trumpeter A3D Skywarrior, with all its' inaccuracies and all its' various iterations, none of which are the B-66. That got me to thinking about how feasible a B-66 conversion kit for the Trumpy Skywarrior kit truly is? I am well aware that there are significant differences between the two, not least of which is a completely different forward fuselage. I know the wing is different on the inboard trailing edge and it appears the engine pods may be different as well.

 

All that having been said if someone who is talented/skilled in the area of making resin goodies (Steel Beach/Hypersonic/DMold et al) were to make a conversion kit to convert the Trump Skywarrior to a Destroyer, I would be onboard for at least two! Or maybe you can explain how it is virtually impossible to do so, since I am not at all familiar with producing resin conversion pieces. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see a B-66 (specifically an EB-66) but I think such a conversion might be beyond the means of most aftermarket outfits.   I'm sure it could be done but I think it would be an extremely expensive kit and as such, sales wouldn't be very good.   Still hopeful someone gets around to doing the Destroyer in plastic. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than the basic aerodynamic shapes of the two aircraft there is little that was common. The A-3 used P&W J57's while the B-66 used Allison J71's. If you want a B-66 that bad I would suggest save up to catch a Collect Aire one on Ebay. It is a very nice kit. It assembles for the most part like a IM plastic kit, unless you don't like working with resin, vac canopies and metal parts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I'd love to see a B-66 (specifically an EB-66) but I think such a conversion might be beyond the means of most aftermarket outfits.   I'm sure it could be done but I think it would be an extremely expensive kit and as such, sales wouldn't be very good.   Still hopeful someone gets around to doing the Destroyer in plastic. 

Yes, one would think that. But, I've seen some very involved resin stuff from the likes of Lone Star (resin Me-264, XB-42 & Felixstowe F2A) and others. Hypersonic seems to be working on a complete SR-71 kit and recently word was that Zactoman is working on an OV-10A (not sure if it is injection or resin). So clearly many of the talented resin casters are moving beyond simply seats and weapons. So I throw this out there to stimulate thought and maybe something will stick!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jpk said:

Other than the basic aerodynamic shapes of the two aircraft there is little that was common. The A-3 used P&W J57's while the B-66 used Allison J71's. If you want a B-66 that bad I would suggest save up to catch a Collect Aire one on Ebay. It is a very nice kit. It assembles for the most part like a IM plastic kit, unless you don't like working with resin, vac canopies and metal parts. 

 

+1

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/coll/kit_coll_b-66.shtml

 

coll_b-66_title.jpg

 

V.P.

Edited by HomeBe
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cockpit is different (totally different layout), IFR boom different, fin different, MLG doors different, NLG different.

I think you could use the stabilizers and tail gun but if you wanted an EB the tail cones are completely different.

In short, there is almost nothing visible that you could use on a B-66 based on how conversions are done now (complete wings and fuselages).

A Trumpeter A3 fuselage can be cut at seam lines and you could use the rear fuselage with reasonable accuracy but still need to fill/sand/scribe NEW (not rescribe) the fin/rudder.

Price of an A3 for 2-5 parts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rich in name only said:

Cockpit is different (totally different layout), IFR boom different, fin different, MLG doors different, NLG different.

I think you could use the stabilizers and tail gun but if you wanted an EB the tail cones are completely different.

In short, there is almost nothing visible that you could use on a B-66 based on how conversions are done now (complete wings and fuselages).

A Trumpeter A3 fuselage can be cut at seam lines and you could use the rear fuselage with reasonable accuracy but still need to fill/sand/scribe NEW (not rescribe) the fin/rudder.

Price of an A3 for 2-5 parts?

Even the tail gun area is different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That wouldn't make sense at all. Too many major differences and financially a premium priced collectors' Collect Aire B-66 would still be cheaper (note that that kit isn't actually 1:48 but more like 1:46).

 

Be patient, I'm pretty sure there will be a plastic 1:48 B-66 in a few years time (I just hope it won't be from Trumpeter).

 

J

Edited by JeffreyK
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...