Thoughts on cell phones

My company provides me with a smart phone.   They are exclusively an Apple-centric company, I'm currently on a 5S and will soon be upgrading to one of the 6's (maybe a 7 if my current phone lasts a bit longer).  I've never used any of the Android phones but over time, I've become increasingly down on Apple products.   Siri is a joke, if I'm lucky, it will respond to my query every 5-6th try and even then, more often than not, it doesn't understand the request. I'm sick of having my phone shut down when I'm at 14% power, also find it incredibly annoying that when it dies, I can't just plug it in and have it immediately turn on.  I have to wait 10-15 minutes for the phone to get a sufficient recharge.  Also tired of frozen screens, white screens when I'm trying to start an app, annoying low power messages that require acknowledgement before I can go to another task (a particular issue when I'm on a hands-free call when I'm driving).  When I'm using the driving direction function, if I get a call, the screen for the phone will over ride the map with my directions.  The list goes on.  

Given all the hype that surrounds Apple, I'm pretty disappointed.   From what I'm hearing from other Apple users, the later phones out there aren't really significantly different than my current phone, just a few upgrades with the display, camera, etc. That being said, I've never used any other product so for all I know, they suck even worse.  However, the folks I know who use Androids all seem pretty satisfied, and some of the other new phones that are just coming out look pretty good as well.  I'm all about free phones but I'd have no problem paying for my own if I end up with a product that is superior to the status quo.  

What do you guys recommend?  One thing to note if it matters - I don't use my phone for watching movies, gaming, etc.   My apps are mostly travel, driving and productivity related, along with the basic social media ones. 

Edited by 11bee

I'm now on my third Sony Experia (Z5 Compact this time), and I quite like them. Hardly ever any crashes, when the battery starts to get low you do get a message, but you don't have to click on anything to get rid of the message, It only shuts down when it's absolutely empty, and when you plug it in to charge, you can almost immeditaly start it up and use it again. It also has quite a good camera, and the screen is nice and clear.

47 minutes ago, 11bee said:

My company provides me with a smart phone.   They are exclusively an Apple-centric company, I'm currently on a 5S and will soon be upgrading to one of the 6's (maybe a 7 if my current phone lasts a bit longer).  I've never used any of the Android phones but over time, I've become increasingly down on Apple products.   Siri is a joke, if I'm lucky, it will respond to my query every 5-6th try and even then, more often than not, it doesn't understand the request. I'm sick of having my phone shut down when I'm at 14% power, also find it incredibly annoying that when it dies, I can't just plug it in and have it immediately turn on.  I have to wait 10-15 minutes for the phone to get a sufficient recharge.  Also tired of frozen screens, white screens when I'm trying to start an app, annoying low power messages that require acknowledgement before I can go to another task (a particular issue when I'm on a hands-free call when I'm driving).  When I'm using the driving direction function, if I get a call, the screen for the phone will over ride the map with my directions.  The list goes on.  

Given all the hype that surrounds Apple, I'm pretty disappointed.   From what I'm hearing from other Apple users, the later phones out there aren't really significantly different than my current phone, just a few upgrades with the display, camera, etc. That being said, I've never used any other product so for all I know, they suck even worse.  However, the folks I know who use Androids all seem pretty satisfied, and some of the other new phones that are just coming out look pretty good as well.  I'm all about free phones but I'd have no problem paying for my own if I end up with a product that is superior to the status quo.  

What do you guys recommend?  One thing to note if it matters - I don't use my phone for watching movies, gaming, etc.   My apps are mostly travel, driving and productivity related, along with the basic social media ones. 

my company uses apple to. Fark it sucks. 

I had an android phone a few years ago, and replaced it with an i-Phone.  Biggest reason was the ease of making and organizing playlists for music, as that is probably the feature of smartphones that I use absolulety the most.  I can't say I've had problems with the Apple product, it's worked for me quite well.  But then, I don't get a lot of phone calls, don't necesarrily make a lot of phone calls, and don't use siri.  I also tend to put the phone on the charger each night, so it rarely gets to the point where I'm getting low battery warnings.  

For me, the apple navigation functions work better than those on the android I had - it's much easier to get it to provide directions.

2 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

I had an android phone a few years ago, and replaced it with an i-Phone.  Biggest reason was the ease of making and organizing playlists for music, as that is probably the feature of smartphones that I use absolulety the most.  I can't say I've had problems with the Apple product, it's worked for me quite well.  But then, I don't get a lot of phone calls, don't necesarrily make a lot of phone calls, and don't use siri.  I also tend to put the phone on the charger each night, so it rarely gets to the point where I'm getting low battery warnings.  

For me, the apple navigation functions work better than those on the android I had - it's much easier to get it to provide directions.

I'm with Joe on this. I've not had any issues with my iPhone, so I can't complain. I know it's not quite on topic, but it's about Apple products. I was exclusively a PC (I know, PC is technically "personal computer", but you know what I mean) kind of guy, but then my school district replaced all of our desk PC's with Mac Book Airs. Wow, what a difference. I love my Mac book. I'll never go back to another kind of computer again.

My life is so much better without a smartphone. I never could stand any of these modern mumbojumbo gadgets. I have a Nokia 1680 and it works great

for texting and the occasional call. I absolutely despise how these technological mediums have been embraced by so many and is a source for people to

stop interacting/socializing with eachother not to mention between familymembers. I repeat, absolutely despise smartphones and what they take away from your life.  

Edited by breadneck

I like the Samsung Galaxy Note series of handphones. Mine is a Galaxy Note 5.  The biggest reason I like it is that I like the stylus (pen) that allows me to write down notes on the go:

https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/IPh2LWvkBebohWEqZuR6BZi4NFE=/770x578/2015/08/04/1fc89fe7-aa1c-4b75-ae96-c0d2e85177cd/scaly-mountain-3526-001.jpg

Useful for grocery lists, scribbling down notes (I'm a slow typer. I prefer to write things down), drawing things ( eg, when you need to explain a diagram or a concept, to a friend but you don't have any paper on-hand, etc)

And although iPhone has more apps, I find Samsung phones to be more user friendly in terms of the software.

To add on to what Pete stated, I've heard the Sony phones are actually quite good. They just don't seem to have the same marketing exposure (ie media hype) as the Apple & Samsung products.

26 minutes ago, breadneck said:

My life is so much better without a smartphone. I never could stand any of these modern mumbojumbo gadgets. I have a Nokia 6220 and it works great

for texting and the occasional call. I absolutely despise how these technological mediums have been embraced by so many and is a source for people to

stop interacting/socializing with eachother not to mention between familymembers. I repeat, absolutely despise smartphones and what they take away from your life.  

Can't really disagree with you on this.  For every plus they bring into our lives, they take something away.   My little one plays girl's 5-year old soccer.   Absolutely disgusting how many parents attend the games and do nothing but f-with their phones the entire time.   I've seen so many kids pull off what they think is a great play, look up get praise from mommy and daddy and find that they never even saw it because they were doing something really important like updating their status on FB.   Sad....

Why do these phones have to be sooooooo important? Is everyone so vital and important that they can't talk on the phone when they're home or in the office? My kids wouldn't be caught dead with the wrong phone. If I go upstairs right now, I'm sure I'll see my son laying on his bed with his phone texting his friends that are all doing the same. Sheesh! Enough already. That said, I'm sitting here eating lunch while I cruise ARC. If the phone on the wall rings I might not answer it.

1 hour ago, MacStingy said:

If the phone on the wall rings I might not answer it.

How did you find a way to stick your smart phone on a wall?    :)

How very 1990!  Didn't think many people still have those anymore?   Actually, if truth be told, I still have one in my basement.  Mostly because Comcast added it as part of a bundle and it literally costs me about $2/month.  Also, being an overly protective parent, I want a phone in the house my older daughter could use if there was ever an emergency and she couldn't summon emergency services via Twitter or FB.  I think it's been used twice in the last 12 months. 

One thing I find to be funny is that my teen daughter incessantly slags me for using my phone - as a phone.   Said I'm a typical old person, none of her social circle ever calls anyone.  It seems to be an unwritten rule of the teen world.  The only time their phones ring is when they are getting calls from their parents.  

Maybe the next version of the i-phone will do away with the phone part entirely?  

Edited by 11bee

Can only endorse JackMan's findings with the Note 5. It wakes up instantly when you turn it on and responds with the same alacrity throughout the day. The only downside is the lack of an add-on memory facility (apart from awkward micro-usb sticks) and the way it gobbles a full charge. If you use it a lot for business, that could be an issue. But it feels incredibly solid, being all metal and glass...OK, it feels like you have a plasma-screen TV in your pocket -and the camera is excellent!

Special mention for the 'Tube Amp' plug-in that came loaded on mine: a decent pair of phones, and you got a new hi-fi as well as a handset. :thumbsup:

Here's a suggestion: Throw your cell phone away.

Seriously.

The best story I ever heard about cell phones came from Gary Dennis a charter-boat skipper. He was halibut fishing out of Homer, Alaska, and two of his clients had big halibut on their lines.  The boat was pitching around, making it difficult to stand up.  The two guys had their lines crossed, and Gary was hanging over the rail, trying to separate them.  The fish were big, probably over 100 pounders.  He didn't want to lose them.  Both of the guys were struggling to hang onto the fish and stay on their feet.  Just when things were about as chaotic as they could get, his cell phone rang.  Without missing a beat, Gary pulled his phone out of his pocket and threw it overboard.

Gary passed on in 2000.  I hope he's in a better place.  A place where lines are  never crossed, where all fish weigh over 100 pounds, and where there are no cell phones.

Phones are kind of like cars, everyone will have their favorites and swear and declare that their brand/version is the best and the others are lousy or fall short because of X, Y, or Z reasons. Myself, I don't use any Apple products at all. I have used Droid/Android phones over the years and loved them. Never had a problem at all and would recommend checking them out if you're in the market.

Good luck!

Cheers.

I gave up my land line shortly after acquiring my first cell phone and think it was a good deal.  IMO, kids should not have smart phones, maybe even cell phones at all.

I've used both iPhones (work) and Droids(personal).  I tend towards Droids.  Both makers' phones will freeze up and require a restart.  My current LG4 will sometimes stop responding to screen gestures and I have to restart.  Other than that, it's fine.  I prefer my phones to have replaceable batteries because I hang on to them long enough to wear out the battery.

3 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I know, they rank right up there with the Internet and scale modeling forums.

The internet and social forums are ok when utilizing something like a laptop or a stationary computer from the comforts of your home.

It is the essence of smarphones and what they represent which is an extension of a home computer that more or less gives you the

inclination to keep it with you at all times and not being able to "snap out of it" This is not doing you any good at all and the sad fact

is that most people don`t seem to grasp the nature of this beast. You know there is something wrong when my 71 y.o. father is more

up to date on cell phone technology and what`s available than what i do. Let me just quote "MacStingy" real fast.   Sheesh !       

I'm on my third Sony. I've got the new Xperia XZ and it continues the Sony quality I've had so far. Easy to use, lighter on the Bloatware than Samsung,  waterproof, AMAZING camera and excellent screen. Love it. Battery life is a tad short but with the fast charger its from zero to 100% in 90 minutes. 

I've had a cell phone for many years. I'm one of those people who likes to tincker with all sorts of stuff, so I've bricked a few phones in my time. My employer gives us a phone, but then doesn't allow us to make personal calls with it, so I've been using dual sim phones for the last 7 or 8 years. My latest phone is one of the 'Android One' kind: cheap, quite good hardware, virtually stock android and guaranteed 2 years of firmware updates by Google itself(I'm on 7.1.1 with my 170€ phone). It runs great, I just restart it every few weeks, when I feel it slows down a bit, that"s all. I've used apple products(iPad, iPod), and I always had the feeling the great ease of use is countered by an incredible arrogance.The company decides and the users have to bow their heads. I use my iPad to read ebooks. The iBooks app has gone from great to not even mediocre in a few years time. Every update a great feature vanishes. I"m pretty sure that when my iPads needs replacing, it's not going to be with one of the fruity variety.

Edited by huntermountain
21 hours ago, falcon20driver said:

I've never used Apple, and never will.  Love my Samsung S7, not the one that explodes!

Yep S7 for me too, best phone I've owned, I've had it for about 8 months great battery life I can get 14hrs+ with heavy usage.

I've got a five or six or maybe seven year old Tracfone that sits usually in the pocket of my motorcycle jacket, turned off. It's probably been actually used only about a dozen times. It's my 911 phone and that's about it. Works for me. Every once in a while I turn it on to check the state of the battery and infrequently my wife and I use them when we're on a trip somewhere and need to coordinate.

I've had an iPhone 6s for about 2 years now. Before then I had an LG (android) for 5-6 years. My iPhone has been nothing but fantastic. I had all sorts of firmware and software update issues with the LG. I have had literally zero problems with the iphone.

Also, up until 2012, I'd been a PC user for my entire life. I went through tons of desktops, laptops and tablet PCs. That was until I got a Mac Book Pro Retina. One of the best decisions in my professional life. It has been absolutely incredible despite years of software I had developed on PCs. I recently bought a Surface 3 for teaching. Again running to a whole bunch of annoying things. So yes Apple has won me over. 

That said, in the mobile landscape, that gap no longer exists imo. 

On 12/17/2016 at 10:47 AM, 11bee said:

My apps are mostly travel, driving and productivity related, along with the basic social media ones. 

Especially if these are your activities, I can't see a clear winner. The variance in the user experience across the different models of a brand is probably much greater than the variance within a similar class of phones from different brands. However in your case, if productivity involves heavy customization and extensions, an Android is probably better for you.