Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This is Tamiya’s 1/35, probably an Opel Blitz but it’s not mentioned anywhere. Basecolor was tamiya’s dark grey lightened up with white and blue. On top of it winsor newton Davy gray was heavily applied as a filter. I am counting on it getting even more darker with subsequent clear coats and weathering.







Link to post
Share on other sites

Silenoz i am hoping the dust and grime tone down the wooden sections. OR do you mean the planking should be lighter than this when weathered?


As for the orange thingie, i didn't know it meant that the truck is actually trailing something. :( altho there is nothing for it to pull in the kit there will be a hefty load of barrels and jerry cans to be loaded in the back.

Edited by murad
Link to post
Share on other sites

How weathered the wood would look would depend on how recently the paint was rubbed off. If the truck was in heavy, regular use, the wood would continue to be rubbed showing "fresh" surfaces and not be much weathered. So, some variation on the wood's weathering would be in order, I'd say the floor and inside of the bed would look show fairly fresh wood but the outside maybe more grayed? Anyway, the model looks really nice. I didn't know that the sign on the cab meant something was being towed! Good to know, Thanks!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave thanks for the description, i will do the weathering of the outside panels with this in mind.
The kit comes with a wide load of drums and jerry cans so most if not all of the flatbed will be loaded and invisible hence i kept the wooden work there a bit more restricted, besides dust and dirt from the crew and whatnot should be more pronounced in there since it doesn't have anywhere to go.

Now the tricky question, how would the Germans load the barrels, don't wanna sound awkward but knowing how they are obsessive when it comes to repetitive tasks and order i just can't pass up the opportunity to make something amusing at it if able... :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The weathering phase is still ongoing. Currently the model has received the flat coat via vallejo matt varnish. Prior to that it had received tamiya buff and flat earth diluted with tap water for dust but for some reason their effect is barely noticeable as dust, instead they turned out as filter, more or less. Lot of small work ahead, details like door handles, shovel etc tools will be painted and installed, more dust and bit of dry mud, albeit light, as well as the stowage and a pair of crew figures to go...






Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

With this one i lost the mojo but it's gonna finish one way or the other.
First of all despite all my attempts i couldn't get the tone for German grey that i liked so as a last resort i said wth and went in with Vallejo's black wash with a touch of their umber wash. It worked like a charm with the fuel drums but for some reason reacted with something on the entire vehicle and produced a terrible looking pinkish residue cloud as a result - reason unknown i can only speculate it was something with the prior weathering oil and enamel steps...
Anyway despite attempting to recover, nothing i've tried helped so i had to go in with good ole lamp black (w&n) oil paint diluted with Mig's thinner for washes and this is the result. I know it looks like crap with stains and whatnot especially over the bonnet but knowing how it was prior to this i am happy - yes it was that disastrous! Bright side is i am happy with the grey now at least. :)



TO DO: Attempt to hide the staining etc with light touches of dust and dirt, take care of the windows, search light and overall weathering in the mean time.
Crew figures.
Stowage; drums are just for trial, their position will probably remain like this but they'll have to be further weathered alongside 15 more jerry cans.
Fix tools, vehicle width markers and various details here and there...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just playing around with the stowage placement, i'll add a pair of wooden struts which are used to load the drums up and down but apart from that bit this is all the stowage there is going to be.
In the mean time i further weathered the flat bed section and finished one of the fellas and seated him - there's the driver to paint still. Funny thing is i've spent hours painting the figure, in the end his head is flush to the ceiling barely fitting in the cab - his face not even visible.... I sometimes question wtf i am doing with scale modeling...







Still a lot of things to do but i am procrastinating more and more with this build.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...