GAAAAAAGH! I'm a talentless hack!

I know that some people work hard and long to hone their craft. Musicians work their fingers to the bone, painters study and experiment until they get it right, photographers will freeze for hours to get just the right shot.

And some people just have a natural talent. They can pick up an instrument and play it by ear, make a few simple brush strokes and create something beautiful, or see the photo through the lens before they even click the shutter.

And some of us ain't got NUTHIN"!

I've been trying to make some dive flaps for a 'What if?' dive-bomber version of the Harvard. I'm using the old Airfix one, and figured I would use the old Airfix Dauntless flaps as a template. The Dauntless flaps are slightly wider in chord and span, but I figured to just use most of one row and then move down for the other two. Didn't work too well. Drilled out the sunken holes in the Dauntless flaps, taped my cut-off Harvard flaps onto them, and went to work. Did the first row, then just eyeballed the other two. BLECH! Even with a proper template like that it didn't look good, holes were all over the place. Oh, one row was fine, but the two others were horrid. Okay, try again. Nope. Alright, use the Dauntless flaps as a template for all three lines. Still came out higgledy-piggledy.

$%&*#!!!

Let's have another go, shall we? Use thinner sheet plastic, easier to work with, and start lining up and taping in place. Do the first line, remove the plastic, and use a ruler to draw two more lines, parallel to the first, and vertical lines to create a cross-hatch, and use that as a reference. Use a pin to create a guide hole at each +, that should work.

Better, but it still looks like the proverbial dog's breakfast.

So far I've blamed the tools, the kits, the cat (Well, she is evil), the neighbour's front lawn, two random cars driving by, a tailor in Andorra, various house plants, the bat boy for the Detroit Tigers, and my boss (He's worse than the cat).

Is it me?  :crying:

Edited by The Rat

"If at first you don't succeed, you suck at it so just quit."

(j/k)

But then again, perseverance has the word "severe" in it...or "sever", depending on your point of view.

Sometimes, when one method doesn't work, it might take awhile for that old light bulb to flash back on when you get a brilliant idea.

Edison's failures were in the hundreds but he kept at it until the workable, practical light bulb was created. It didn't just happen....it took time, sweat and effort.

True, some people have a natural knack for this stuff but don't sell yourself short; You just haven't hit on the right combination of things yet. Maybe y'ain't holdin' yer tongue right as we say in S Carolina. Serendipity plays its part when seemingly unconnected things get connected in your mind's eye and you have a "moment".

(waving my hand and using my Jedi powers)

"You WILL find a way..."

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

Don't get discouraged. I think you've got the right idea, maybe your template, or drills are slipping? 

Talent is 75% of the equation. Finely honed craftsmanship comes with technique and muscle memory. 

Maybe practice on some flat sheet. Try taping down the template to the new piece? I always have problems with slippage too.

On 21/12/2016 at 7:51 PM, VADM Fangschleister said:

"If at first you don't succeed, you suck at it so just quit."

Can never remember who said this first: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, again. If it still doesn't work, give up, there's no sense being a damned fool about it!"

8 hours ago, ChippyWho said:

Yeah. You're probably brushing her too much...

31771078406_66db9be8df_b.jpg

Last night I found a cat hair in my tumbler of Bushmills. Putting the local vivisectionist on speed-dial in case it happens again.

1 hour ago, RKic said:

Don't get discouraged. I think you've got the right idea, maybe your template, or drills are slipping? 

Talent is 75% of the equation. Finely honed craftsmanship comes with technique and muscle memory. 

Maybe practice on some flat sheet. Try taping down the template to the new piece? I always have problems with slippage too.

Taped them down nice and tight, might try white glue next time. Or I might just say "Screw it! It's 1/72nd, anyone who gets that close to complain gets a boot up their plumber's crack!"