Mig-29 SMT correct paint colors

I need a little assistance guys.  For anyone who has painted an SMT can you tell me what you used for paint? I purchased both of the Akan 9-19 paint sets and they differ between the Lacquer and Acrylic sets. It seems to me that the darker color topside (gray-green) is different on the 9-19 vs. the 9-13 et.al. Can anyone confirm that?

Granted the Akan colors are faded, when checking references online I see some substantial differences. I have been tempted to use the color call outs in the color print out from GWH but even they seem different.

Anyone? Berkut you out there?

Did you take a look at the Akan SMT paint set?

s-l1000.jpg

It's worth noting that it's standard practice for Russian aircraft to be stored outside, so they tend to fade substantially.  Akan's paints are matched directly to actual hardware, so they should be pretty accurate.  Given the role of the aircraft, it's possible the SMT would be *less* faded than an in-service airframe, so all else being equal, I'd probably go with the darker shades, but either should be reasonable matches.

Edited by MoFo

That is because that set is not meant for the operational SMT's. It is meant for that particular prototype in that particular camo scheme, and it has had several ones over the years.

This is the set you need;

http://shop.akan.ru/ru/47xxx-series/47345.html

46 are acrylics too, but based on older formula or something like that. 47 series is based on new formula.

2 hours ago, Berkut said:

That is because that set is not meant for the operational SMT's. It is meant for that particular prototype in that particular camo scheme, and it has had several ones over the years.

This is the set you need;

http://shop.akan.ru/ru/47xxx-series/47345.html

46 are acrylics too, but based on older formula or something like that. 47 series is based on new formula.

That is one of the two (2) sets I currently have. The colors contained still look vastly different from the photos of the SMT i listed in the link. Unless the dark gray in the set is used for the dark(est) part of the scheme and not for the radome and antenna. EDIT: I found a current photo August 2016 and perhaps the faded set of Akan  47345 is the best fit.

770005.jpg

This 9-19 shows considerable wear (grime) compared to the previous link I added. Although the Akan set seems lighter still, this aircraft is a better subject to judge from.

Thanks for the prompt response though.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
Update

I think you are confusing two schemes. In your walkaround link, that is the original colors and the set i linked is the one you should use for it.

In the picture above however, that is a frame that has been "repainted". Badly and lazy since they just painted over the old camo in some sections. Here is the same frame when it was reasonably fresh after the repaint;

083387.jpg

vs the original scheme for example:

airforce_ru_mig-29smt_007.jpg

As seen, the dark grey is far more grey and so is the light grey. Original grey colors also had a blue tint. One can see in your picture the original colors coming through underneath as the horrible "new" paint is chipping away. If you want to make the "repainted" scheme with the darker greys, you need to use this set;

http://shop.akan.ru/ru/47xxx-series/47346.html

But for the original you use 345. The very dark grey (73010) in that one is for radome, fin tips etc, not the camo itself. AKAN do tend to be too dark anyway, so if you feel they are too dark out of the bottle, add white.

Edited by Berkut