VF-21 F-14 color question

So the Tamiya Tomcat has found its way onto my bench and I've settled on CSM Pro's VF-21 CAG markings circa 1995 while attached to CVW-5.

Screenshot_20161219-123107_zpsegbpbvgu.j

CAM Pro says Gloss Gull Grey. But this picture seems to suggest otherwise:

Screenshot_20161219-121649_zpsdwmkhjdi.j

This looks more like a TPS scheme to me. A 1994 pic shows this aircraft with a definite TPS schene, but no black tails so the whole airframe could've been repainted for all i know.  Any thoughts? I'm not having an easy time finding images of this aircraft as it appeared in 1995.

EDIT:  Holy crap, my grammar on this post is cringe-worthy!  I can articulate myself in writing, I promise!  (Most of my discussion board stuff is done on my phone...)

Edited by picknpluck

Sure the pic has the tps camo, but what says the pictures cat is the one from the sheet? Missing the jumping lion compared to the sheet, but having an aditional Yellow fin tip... I'd try to look further before using a pictures from another cag-picture... 

After a quick Google search I found this picture: F-14A 161616 (fencecheck property)

Indeed still tps colors. 

Greetings!

3 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Sure the pic has the tps camo, but what says the pictures cat is the one from the sheet? Missing the jumping lion compared to the sheet, but having an aditional Yellow fin tip... I'd try to look further before using a pictures from another cag-picture... 

After a quick Google search I found this picture: F-14A 161616 (fencecheck property)

Indeed still tps colors. 

Greetings!

I agree with you. It's just I happen to know this one pretty well and can say for 100% certainty VF-21 never had the scheme shown in Gull gray as the decal sheet suggests. 21 displayed the CAG jet at an open house before the markings were completed ( along with CO jet in the same fashion), so there are a number of pictures floating around showing it incomplete. There's even a 1/144 decal sheet showing it as it looked partially painted. ;)

And as for Decals, I completely agree. It's a jet that I've wanted to cover since Fightertown began along with a few other 21/154 late jets. I'm still working on fitting them in...

brian

It is 3-tone TPS, I promise. It's not the 'standard' TPS but it does have all 3 colors. I saw it at Miramar when it was re-assigned and flew over still in VF-21 colors. Don't have access to the hard drive while on the road, but I can promise you that is the case. You can google a number of images of this jet and if you look closely you can see the color demarcations.

With this jet brought up, its renewed my interest in it and I'll find a way to include it on the next Tomcat sheet, sized to the Tamiya kit.

-brian

Please Brian, Late VF-21/154 is a must. The grey tail, yellow chevron CAG jet with CAG rainbow chevrons is awesome. I have a photo of it carrying bomb racks even. Anedthe late Decom CAG bird is amazing. Low vis jets were carrying Japanese writing on the TCS pod too, which I think is really cool. Also with 154, the tail art with the two stripes that run behind a shield with a sword in it is really cool.

You guys did my dream VF-74 sheets, hoping these guys will get the same.

Cheers

Keep you VF-21 build very clean, no weathering. We put all our aircraft in the paint hangar before the annual air show at Atsugi, against Navy rules. We would all reserve spots in the paint barn, our CAG S-3 was had a pretty clean paint scheme to begin with, but we still stripped her and put on a fresh coat of paint. 

Cheers

Collin

I've been waiting for VF-21 decals forever, I have this sheet, but they are kinda ick...more VF-21 is great! Now all you gotta do is find time...like your not busy enough, thanks for the good news Brian!

Jeff

1 hour ago, aircal62 said:

Brian with Fightertown decals, perhaps a VF-21 sheet with their F-4's.  Their F-4's have not been covered well at all

Oooohhhh! VF-21 had some pretty F-4s too!  And it would be good timing with the new ZM F-4J kit hitting the shelves because, frankly, "Showtime 100" is about as fresh and original as VF-84/103 on a Tomcat.

On 12/20/2016 at 10:46 PM, Collin said:

Keep you VF-21 build very clean, no weathering. We put all our aircraft in the paint hangar before the annual air show at Atsugi, against Navy rules. We would all reserve spots in the paint barn, our CAG S-3 was had a pretty clean paint scheme to begin with, but we still stripped her and put on a fresh coat of paint. 

Cheers

Collin

Ii had a friend who flew in VF-154. He said the air shows were insane. He was tasked with making DVD's for sale. He made 500 and thought he'd screwed up by ordering too many. They charged $20/DVD. He thought they were going to have hundreds left over. All 500 sold out in a couple of hours. He said they could have sold over 1,000 in one day. He described when they opened the gates it was literally a rush of humanity swarming over everything. They took the money they earned and used it to rent a house and stock the fridge with beer and steak during their next cruise when they had liberty.