1/48 Hobbycraft Avia S-199

The old Hobbycraft Avia makes into a decent model, even if it's starting to get a bit old. I added the SC 50 bomb rack with bombs out of another model as the kit gives you a drop tank, which is inaccurate. I also replaced the 20mm barrels with those from a Hasegawa Bf 109, as the kit supplied ones were far too thick. Decals came from Aeromaster, as I've had previous negative experiences with Hobbycraft decals, however, the fuselage band and the fin flash decals were not even close to fitting, so these were masked and painted. It really is time for a new mold 1/48 Avia.

P1010009%201_zpspapzg82n.jpg

P1010008%201_zps5lbqgy3s.jpg

P1010007_zpskfmbbugo.jpg

P1010006%201_zpshbom5wqj.jpg

P1010003_zpsxvaedqs7.jpg

P1010001_zpsmlhvwjku.jpg

Great job!  Nice weathering, and muddy tires! Phenomenal job on the painting of the fin flash and fuselage stripes!  I understand that the Israeli pilots hated these because they were notoriously unstable due to the torque created by the retro-fitted engine and the huge paddle-bladed prop. Coupled with the narrow-track undercarriage, more than a few of these beasts rolled over on take off and landing! The Israeli pilots were ecstatic once they began receiving Spitfires and Mustangs! :)

1 hour ago, Jamie Cheslo said:

Great job!  Nice weathering, and muddy tires! Phenomenal job on the painting of the fin flash and fuselage stripes!  I understand that the Israeli pilots hated these because they were notoriously unstable due to the torque created by the retro-fitted engine and the huge paddle-bladed prop. Coupled with the narrow-track undercarriage, more than a few of these beasts rolled over on take off and landing! The Israeli pilots were ecstatic once they began receiving Spitfires and Mustangs! :)

Indeed, most were written off in accidents, the Jumo engine was so under powered they couldn't carry more than 2 bombs on the bomb rack (which could mount 4), the pilots had serious concerns about the interrupter gear for the machine guns as at least 1 pilot holed his propeller when firing them and their serviceability was so poor that not more than 3 were operational at any one time after their first mission. They certainly earned the nickname "mule". :)