2017 Thunder Over Michigan

• 3 weeks later...

who is going on friday that could give me an update on the show?? I see vfc-13 has already cancelled. vfc-111 is my main focus. If they cancell, i prob. won't go. Looking for someone that can give me a recce report.

cheers

Bob

It was a good show today but a little cloudy.  The Blues had to do their low show.   No F-5's.  No A-10's, Super Hornets, or the Hawkeye, so I was disappointed there. Got to see the P-40 fly, so it was worth it.

man i'm glad i didn;t waste the money and time!!! similar thing happened last yr. a lot of those on the list never showed. Selfridge was great and free.

f=35, a-10's flying and static. p-40, ov-1,

I went today (Sunday) and it was a complete swing-and-a-miss for me.  The two aircraft I specifically went to see fly...didn't.  The P-40 apparently developed a cooling system issue after yesterday's show and was grounded today, and the C-46 started up, taxied out, then taxied back and shut down.  One of the crew told me they suspect a mag issue.  And to top it off, the mass WWII paratroop drop was scrubbed because it was too windy.  Mind you, none of these issues are anyone's fault..old airplanes occasionally break and the weather is always a roll of the dice.   I'm just kicking myself for not going on Saturday.  The lack of contemporary military hardware was no biggie for me, as I'm mainly interested in the vintage stuff (although I gotta say, that A-400M is a pretty awesome beast.)

Overall, this year's lineup seemed rather anemic compared to past years, particularly considering the price (20 bucks for parking, and another 40 to get in the gate.)  Hopefully they just had an "off year," and next year's show will be back to the big warbird extravaganza we've come to know and love.

SN

Edited by Steve N

The weather didn't exactly cooperate but today's (Sunday) show had alot more flying and a much tighter schedule.  Yes it was sad that the P-40 didn't go up again but the P-51 fill ins did some nice passes and the Bearcat really got some oohs and ahs from the photopit crowd.  And the lead 2 C-47s in tight formation was really something to see. 

Many seemed to feel the same about it just being an off year, it didn't help having the date moved again, and to a holiday weekend which might have impacted available dates.  It made a big difference in the number of volunteers working the show, I'd imagine that it could have some effect on the aircraft attendance as well.