G'day people,

The intakes are now on.

DSCN3922_zpsivjtumlq.jpg

The fit here was not the greatest, especially the left intake.

The right intake was not too bad

DSCN3924_zpscitoi80e.jpg

The left intake gaps on the inside

DSCN3925_zps3irqlb4e.jpg

as well as a considerable step between the intake and fuselage

DSCN3923_zpsyvmohhz2.jpg

I see some sanding and filling in my future..............

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Well it is a case of one step forwards and two steps backwards!

I was looking at my refs when I discovered another kit error.

Kinetic provide the small panel (part E25) on the tail boom underside with the Reaction Control Vent (RCV) and two circular grilles as a separate panel. Full marks on the idea as this means the builder avoids a nasty seam running down the guts and possibly eliminating of damaging this delicate detail whilst cleaning up the centreline seam. The instructions would have you install this item with back to front, i.e with the two circular grilles towards the rear and the RCV towards the front. This is wrong, the RCV should be aft and the two circular grilles forward. Unfortunately, the tail boom has a subtle taper in length and width so that simply installing the part the opposite way to the instructions means that the part tapers the opposite way to the surrounding surface

I was faced with three options;

1. Ignore it

2  Fix it

3. Replace it

I decided that I could not ignore it and although it would be easy enough to add a chunk of styrene and sand to shape, i really like the details included, so I decided on option 2.

Part E25 was glued in the opposite orientation to the instructions and generous amounts of sprue glue were applied to the edge of the part.

DSCN3795_zpsu8lx2gs4.jpg

DSCN3796_zps2vqf6iep.jpg

Once this had dried, the part was sanded to profile and the forward contours were built back up with putty to match the surrounding surface

DSCN3813_zpsrodyezgt.jpg

Luckily, the PE set provides a couple of small PE grilles that are supposed to sit over the supplied detail. The kit detail is nice enough and only needs a wash so I was not intending on using these items until now. Once the putty was sanded back, two small holes were drilled where the grilles should be and these were progressively enlarged until they were just larger than the PE replacement grilles. Once satisfied, the PE grilles were attached with a small drop of CA

DSCN3968_zpsjachc3eh.jpg

Result!

cheers,

Pappy

On 06/01/2017 at 9:11 AM, a4s4eva said:

Pappy, I really wish you'd started before me :D   You've picked up so many things I've missed. 

Hindsight is always 20:20 etc

I've also missed things which I will get right on my next SHAR build (which will not be for a while), but there are aspects of my build that I could have done better.

G'day folks,

Guess what, I found another error with the Kinetic SHAR kit!

This one is a really simple fix.

The kit features a panel in front of the windshield that is shaped like an air inlet. Upon checking the refs, yup, there should be an inlet scoop here which the instructions neglect to mention. The good news is that this part (well at least that is what I think part E13 is for) is included on the E sprue. Part E13 is not mentioned anywhere else in the instructions but it corresponds perfectly to the 'panel' shape so I cleaned this part up and added it to the nose.

DSCN3970_zpsebmbybhh.jpg

The slot for the nose mounted pitot was also cleaned up. The fuselage seam passes directly through this slot and I found that one half of the slot was slightly higher. I cleaned up the slot using a micro chisel which comes in very handy for this sort of job.

The kit pitot is very nicely moulded, although the sprue attachment points will require great care to clean up without damaging the item.

DSCN3971_zpslzb9k8rj.jpg

DSCN3972_zpsrcabg0oc.jpg

I wanted to add the pitot base to the kit so that the paint would match, but in order to avoid damaging the delicate probe, I sawed off the probe from the base. I also drilled out the base to accept a turned brass replacement

DSCN3973_zpsyo34jn75.jpg

DSCN3974_zps6e2j29hb.jpg

This approach would also work if I had chosen not to purchase a brass pitot, as the kit probe will still plug into the probe base,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

G'day people,

Well I have pushed on through the unpleasantness that was the intake assemblies. After several sessions of FSR (fill, sand - repeat) I am happy to say that I eventually triumphed over the intakes.

DSCN3976_zpsohcfw7sc.jpg

DSCN3977_zpsuxybjcsq.jpg

DSCN3978_zps8fg6gpjm.jpg

DSCN3979_zps3y8wvd4z.jpg

The intakes were given a quick blast of EDSG to see if the job was really over

DSCN3992_zpsizta3g6b.jpg

DSCN3994_zpsf1fezcf1.jpg

Since I still had some paint in the airbrush, the tail cone was also given a quick blast

DSCN3995_zpsbtpohim7.jpg

Result!

Next up, I started working on the wings. The flight controls are supplied as separate parts so you can position these as you wish. I will attach the flaps after the wing is attached to the fuselage but the ailerons were installed next. The trailing edges are wonderfully thin and sharp,

DSCN3986_zpsf73wsaje.jpg

DSCN3985_zpstqxtybno.jpg

The ailerons have two types of hinges provided, one set allows the builder to install these in a streamlined position, the other with both ailerons drooped down. I wanted mine streamlined so the appropriate hinges were cleaned up.

Which brings me to the next issue.

The hinges have two locating pins, one for the aileron and one for the wing trailing edge.

DSCN4002_zpst023ruxc.jpg

The problem is, Kinetic have the wing trailing edge locating holes flashed over. They are easily visible on the inner surface of the lower wing halves. Step 4 deals with the wing assembly, however there is no mention at all in the instructions that these locating holes need to be drilled out. The FA.2 wing is also included in the FRS.1 boxing and the holes for this wing are already open. Perhaps this is a quality control issue and it was just my kits? Both of my FRS.1 kits have the same issue, although I was able to measure the positions using the unstarted kit to determine the correct positions to drill the locating holes.

In any case, the ailerons were attached to the wing but now a new problem arose. There is a step between the wing underside and the lower aileron surface which meant that the hinges met the ailerons with a gap.

DSCN3984_zpsozkurlkc.jpg

Two steps forwards and one backwards it appears.....................

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

G'day people,

Watershed moment today, the main wing is on - tadaaah

DSCN4015_zpslxvbupvt.jpg

I added some .005" shims to the aft shelf the the wing trailing edge sits on as these sat a tad low. I will need a little filler where the wing centre section meets the aft fuselage but that was down to me. The wing underside was not too bad for the right wing

DSCN4014_zpsu2uhdtpa.jpg

But I cannot say the same for the other side,

DSCN4013_zpsi5tmk7wo.jpg

It was worse before I got some CA into the joint whilst spreading the fuselage apart through one of the engine nozzle openings. Perhaps I should have used some sort of fuselage spreader before attaching the wing.

This kit is still fighting back..........................

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

I had the same issue with the trailing edge, unfortunately I didn't notice until glue had set because I was worried about the front join. Hence I had to sand the high bits down,

I didn't strike the gap on the underside though

Edited by a4s4eva
spelling
On 08/01/2017 at 0:25 PM, a4s4eva said:

I had the same issue with the trailing edge, unfortunately I didn't notice until glue had set becuase I was worreid about the frint join. Hence I had to sand the high bits down,

I didn't strike the gap on the underside though

I am not sure why that happened, perhaps because I removed the nozzle linkage mech? It was not really providing a lot of lateral fuselage rigidity so I must have missed something somewhere else. I also have a small gap at the front of the wing assembly in the same spot you did, so I think I will just shim and fill once the glue has set. What I think has happened is that I glued in the IFR light panel to the wing assembly before I attached the wing. Stupidly I thought it would be a good idea. I think that this has ended up pushing the wing root away from the fuselage. I think it would have been better to add this part after the wing assembly had been attached to the fuselage.

Have you tried test fitting your engine nozzles yet?

I ended up removing the nozzle mech because I was concerned about installing the nozzles given the limited clearance available. Without the nozzle mech in place, the nozzles can be fitted and removed very easily. I don't really care for moving nozzles so this is not a great loss for me.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
On 1/8/2017 at 5:51 PM, Pappy121 said:

I am not sure why that happened, perhaps because I removed the nozzle linkage mech? It was really providing a lot of lateral fuselage rigidity so I must have missed something somewhere else. I also have a small gap at the front of the wing assembly in the same spot you did, so i think I will just shim and fill once the glue has set. What I think has happened is that i glued in the IFR light panel to the wing assembly before I attached the wing. Stupidly I thought it would be a good idea. I think that this has ended up pushing the wing root away from the fuselage. I think it would have been better to add this part after the wing assembly had been attached to the fuselage.

Have you tried test fitting your engine nozzles yet?

I ended up removing the nozzle mech because I was concerned about installing the nozzles given the limited clearance available. Without the nozzle mech in place, the nozzles can be fitted and removed very easily. I don't really care for moving nozzles so this is not a great loss for me.

cheers,

Pappy

I left the linkages in, and I haven't test fitted them as yet (not even painted, I've been away for 3 weeks and have only just got back to the bench). I did read one build over at BM where the person had trouble fitting the nozzles to the linkages..... IIRC it was a FA.2 but the assembly is the same. Like you I'm not interested in the moving nozzles, I'll probably secure mine in place when done. Hopefully The nozzles will fit OK otherwise I'll push them inside the model :D.

I did end up with a step of 1-1.5mm under the wing between the wing piece and fuselage. But it looked even along the length of the join, and the same on both wings so I'm assuming thats how it's supposed to be. I won't be fixing it if it's not as it would be impossible :D 

I fitted the IFR light panel after fitting the wing, fit was a bit average but a couple of swipes with a sanding stick fixed it.

I had come to same conclusion with part E15 for the scoop on the nose. I should have mentioned it but forgot when writing up the post.

I dry fitted the exhausts last night onto the swivel mechanism and they were a click fit... but boy did it require a lot of pressure to get on. Consequently they were quite difficult to remove, but I did manage it without damaging them or the kit. Note, I didn't have the rear fuselage heat shields fitted , I expect that this will make more difficult to fit/remove the exhausts.

My swivel mechanism didn't work particularly well with them fitted, mind you it didn't work that well when they weren't either .

I'd suggest leaving them out, that's what I will do if I build another. Otherwise leave the fitment until near the end, but before you fit any stores

6 hours ago, a4s4eva said:

I dry fitted the exhausts last night onto the swivel mechanism and they were a click fit... but boy did it require a lot of pressure to get on. Consequently they were quite difficult to remove, but I did manage it without damaging them or the kit. Note, I didn't have the rear fuselage heat shields fitted , I expect that this will make more difficult to fit/remove the exhausts.

My swivel mechanism didn't work particularly well with them fitted, mind you it didn't work that well when they weren't either .

I'd suggest leaving them out, that's what I will do if I build another. Otherwise leave the fitment until near the end, but before you fit any stores

I suspected as much, happy I ditched the nozzle mech before I added the wing now,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Following Jonners suggestion, the pitot assembly was revisited. The pitot assembly is installed into a slot in the upper fuselage. Unmodified, the assembly will sit a bit high. The real pitot assembly also fair smoothly into the fuselage. I deepened the slot but not enough as there was still a slight gap between the end of the pitot tube  and fuselage. The remedy was simple, I cut a wedge from some sprue that approximated the pitot diameter and sanded to shape.

c86cf09b-51ad-43f8-bb7f-d52551ff05c6_zps

DSCN4052_zps1tqgmncg.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...

G'day people,

Here are some pics of the kit ejection seat going together,

First job was to tidy up the seam that passes through the headbox,

DSCN3672_zps0m94wifz.jpg

Next up the addition of some of the PE belts as well as some additional details that were missing

DSCN3673_zpsi3tz2j7x.jpg

DSCN3674_zpsjix2reqd.jpg

DSCN3675_zpsoj06cc1x.jpg

DSCN3698_zpsg79z9w5i.jpg

DSCN3699_zpsgsgfrija.jpg

Next up , a splash of paint to see what we are dealing with.

I do not like the pre-painted PE belts. Apart from not getting the colours right, the paint tends to flake off if you bend the belts too much. I prefer to brush paint them instead.

DSCN3705_zpssojzf4bc.jpg

DSCN3706_zpsnfjflfj2.jpg

DSCN4112_zpsfb17chui.jpg

DSCN4113_zpsnptn4lsq.jpg

And finally a quick test fit,

DSCN4114_zpsuzrml5qz.jpg

DSCN4115_zps7d4x3wxt.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

A little more progress with this one. I have spent today adding the various aerials. The kinetic instructions are a little vague with the precise location of some of these antennas as not all of them are located centrally.

DSCN4153_zps2b91oqcy.jpg

DSCN4154_zpst2goujpi.jpg

I also noticed that there is an extra grille on the tail fairing that was obliterated during the sanding process. Luckily, I had a spare circular PE mesh part so that was pressed into service

DSCN4155_zpsmtw0kp8h.jpg

cheers

Pappy

G'day people,

I am still trying to get the Aden cannon pods up to an acceptable standard and this is proving frustrating.meanwhile,  I have been working on a figure to accompany the jet. I have been working on this little fella on and off for the past week

DSCN3719_zps7nggfsoi.jpg

DSCN3718_zps7ex3a0ez.jpg

DSCN3717_zps2r8gfpxl.jpg

I present the bearded one,

DSCN3798_zpskn2pbbmp.jpg

DSCN3802_zps3edt1rmn.jpg

cheers,

• 2 months later...

G'day people,

Well I have finally had a chance to get some bench time in. I have managed to put some work into the gun pods. I am not 100% happy, but I think they look a lot better than what i started with.

DSCN4247_zpsuleigweo.jpg

DSCN4248_zps0zp5uwhl.jpg

These have been added to the lower fuselage. The fit was quite good,

DSCN4258_zpsibvq8ixq.jpg

Whilst i was working around the lower fuselage, i took the opportunity to add the main gear unit doors.

DSCN4259_zpsiarv0wiy.jpg

DSCN4260_zpssviztxgi.jpg

These had a tendency to droop slightly open as the hydraulic pressure bled off. I have attached these in a slightly drooped pose.

Moving to the upper fuselage, I noticed that there was some sort of grab handle looking thingy in front of the ram intake. I added a thingy from some fine copper wire

DSCN4257_zpsbrzkqfum.jpg

Finally, the armament safety device was added to the right coaming using some scrap plastic

DSCN4256_zpsprvmjtom.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

On 12/04/2017 at 8:33 AM, Mr Matt Foley said:

Nice work Pappy. Very skillful rendition coming together and I'm going to stay plugged in to this build for future Kinetic FRS1 build(s) myself.

G'day Matt,

Thanks very much. it has fought me a little but i am nearly over the hump now,

cheers,

Pappy