Any modelers near Riga? Yak-28 questions

I'm slowly building the Amodel 1/72 Yak-28R. The Yak-28 series is one of Amodel's worst, very rough, requiring a lot of work. I'm getting to the point where I need to decide what specific aircraft I want to portray. Since I cannot find enough color and color scheme information of operational aircraft, I started thinking about doing a museum aircraft. Then I found the Riga Yak-28R, and that looks like a good candidate.

The internet provided quite a few good photos of this aircraft, that show most of the camo pattern. I'm sketching the pattern over a line drawing of a generic Yak-28, but there are big gaps on the rear of the aircraft, and the upper wing. I found out that I can almost see the camo pattern on Google Earth, amazingly!

yak28-11.jpg

My question is whether there's a modeler in the neighbourhood of Riga, who can fill in some gaps. Ideally he would shoot some photos of the rear of the aircraft, or draw the pattern, and maybe find a higher vantage point to see the top of the wing. Color matches would be another question. And maybe you can find out more about the history of this aircraft? I would love to more about it.

There's no big hurry with these questions. As compensation for your time, I can design and print Alps custom decals.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

I have no aditional info on the subject, but I am as curious as you for this, having a Brewer in the stash of uncompleted kits 😉

Sorry for the false hope for an answer solving your quest 😉

5 hours ago, JackMan said:

Wow! That surely helps a lot, I had not seen this walkaround yet!

This Yak-28R looks like the sister of the Riga aircraft. It has the same color combination, and the camouflage patterns on the rear fuselage and tail are roughly identical. When I clicked the first random photo I thought I was looking at the Riga aircraft, so similar was the camouflage. Maybe the Riga aircraft came from the same unit? The 'Roncs-Ranch' Yak-28R is a former Debrecen (or Kunmadaras) based aircraft, probably 328th Regiment.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

24 minutes ago, 11bee said:

So want this one in 1/48th!

+1, there can never be enough new Russian bits. This and a 1/48 Tu-128 would be awesome (although the bare metal finish would probably kill me) 

Cheers, 

Dave

I didn't noticed the walkaround either, but trying to find it on Google earth I learned that the owner was forced to scrap the hungarian one... The top colours being a bit uncertain as it is nearly impossible to distinguish the pattern through to the sun faded blotches...

4 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I didn't noticed the walkaround either, but trying to find it on Google earth I learned that the owner was forced to scrap the hungarian one... The top colours being a bit uncertain as it is nearly impossible to distinguish the pattern through to the sun faded blotches...

The nose of the Hungarian Yak-28R survived, I found a photo of it. The wing colors are indeed very difficult to see, most of the paint on the torsion box is worn off. But luckily I'm not building that aircraft, so it's not a real problem. The Riga Yak-28R has more remaining paint, and I've sketched most of the left wing camo pattern. But I haven't found a decent view of the right wing yet. There's no big hurry, the model still needs a lot of work, so hopefully that problem will be solved in the future. In the mean time, here's an update on the right side view drawing:

yak28-12.jpg

Rob

23 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Thanks Marv! It looks like the same walkaround as posted on Prime Portal though :-(

Rob

A bit disappointing that the walkaround above didn't have any shots of the cockpit or B/N's station in the nose.  They had the canopy off and were on top of the fuselage.   Anyone know where I could get some good interior pics of this aircraft?  That B/N (or whatever the Rooski's called him) must have been extremely claustrophobic.