CD48121 - 1/48 Piasecki H-21

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎28 at 6:45 PM, troschi said:

Just In case you can't wait:

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/decals/bd20.htm

You'll find the floatation gear for the Swedish ones at Belcher Bits as well...

I second Swedish options as well.

The belcher bits decals are not so good or accurate as one would like.

/Johan

• 5 weeks later...

Folks, can any of you identify the badge here? I am pretty sure I had seen it on C-54's before, but can't remember what it was.

Note: It is a YH-21 and can not be built from the Italeri kit easily - so it will not go on the sheet. But I would like to know what the badge is.

h21q.jpg

Edited by KursadA
13 hours ago, KursadA said:

Folks, can any of you identify the badge here? I am pretty sure I had seen it on C-54's before, but can't remember what it was.

h21q.jpg

It's on the C-124 right behind it. According the the flick data - Wright Air Development Command. HTH

Kursad,

Tank is mostly right. This badge is that of the Wright Air Development Center. A sought after badge as there is no decal available for this, past or present. As a fan of test aircraft, I was going to attempt to create this badge myself for a WADC F-100A, but the curved text stymied me. I'm sure it's no problem for you. Finding a clear photo of this badge has been difficult - on your photo above, the text from 9 o'clock to 4 o'clock reads WRIGHT AIR DEVELOPMENT CENTER. At 8 o'clock is ARDC and at 6 o'clock could be USAF.

From 1947 until 1959 the Wright Air Development Center (WADC) was part of Air Research and Development Command (ARDC). Later it was renamed Wright Air Development Division in 1959 and then in 1961, Aeronautical Systems Division.

Hope you add this scheme...I'll get several sheets just for this badge and the red/yellow tail flash.

Below is one of the few illustrations of this badge that I have found - take with a grain of salt as it differs from the layout in the photo above.

Bob

wadc.jpg

Edited by sierrascale
50 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

Kursad,

Tank is mostly right. This badge is that of the Wright Air Development Center. A sought after badge as there is no decal available for this, past or present. As a fan of test aircraft, I was going to attempt to create this badge myself for a WADC F-100A, but the curved text stymied me. I'm sure it's no problem for you. Finding a clear photo of this badge has been difficult - on your photo above, the text from 9 o'clock to 4 o'clock reads WRIGHT AIR DEVELOPMENT CENTER. At 8 o'clock is ARDC and at 6 o'clock could be USAF.

Thanks, folks!  Since it is a simple enough design, the least I could do in return for your help was to design a quick-and-dirty version and post it in vector and bitmap formats, so those of you who experiment with printing decals can use it until I get an opportunity to include it on a sheet. Here it is, in vector (SVG) and bitmap (PNG) formats.

http://caracalmodels.com/images/WrightAirDevelopmentCenterBadge.svg

Link to (big) bitmap version

11 hours ago, KursadA said:

Thanks, folks!  Since it is a simple enough design, the least I could do in return for your help was to design a quick-and-dirty version and post it in vector and bitmap formats, so those of you who experiment with printing decals can use it until I get an opportunity to include it on a sheet. Here it is, in vector (SVG) and bitmap (PNG) formats.

Thanks Kursad!

That looks great. Note that on the original it has the barely discernible words "FLIGHT TEST" in black curved under the bottom edge. 

Bob

Edited by sierrascale
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:11 PM, KursadA said:

CD48121 will be a 1/48 sheet with several Piasecki H-21 markings from various operators, designed for the new Italeri kit. 

You know the 1/72 scale Italeri kit is still available, and the 1/72 HobbyCraft kits are floating around too...

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink....)

Not ruling out a 1/72 sheet - sometime later in the future.

First two of the three USAF options on the sheet will be 24th Helicopter Squadron (Itazuke, Japan) and 21st Helicopter Squadron (Goose Bay) from the late 1950's. These two had some of the best markings ever seen on USAF H-21's, and all the markings are precisely designed to fit the Italeri kit. The kit decal sheet is provides incorrectly sized national markings, which will be corrected by the Caracal sheet.

h21draft_a.jpg

h21draft_b.jpg

1001st Helicopter Sqn was based at Bolling AFB, and its VIP configured H-21's had a beautiful blue/white scheme. One of their helicopters will be the third USAF option on the sheet. Note the different size (40" star as opposed to the 50" applied to the rest of the fleet) and location of the national insignia.

h21draft_c.jpg

These profiles are drafts and I still have to refine / correct some of them - but they should give you an idea on the schemes featured on the sheet when it is ready in August.

Edited by KursadA
18 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Anyone have any idea why the red tinted canopy on the Dayton H-21?  

In the past I have seen this kind of tinting on a few *old* choppers, mostly stuff from the late 50s, early 60s. It was an attempt at heat shielding the crew from the sun.

That it wasn't introduced into regular service tells me it probably wasn't very successful or impacted the safe operation of the air vehicle.

On 6/19/2017 at 9:00 PM, Spruemeister said:

I wonder if there is some sort of IR sensor/sensing testing going on related to rescue ops.

Rick L.

Nah, not when that beast was flying!

My dad was with the 1001st (now 1st Helicopter). I'd be interesting in doing one of those in 1/72. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...