the48ers.48 a new modelling project

Hello

In a couple of days, the new modelling project the48ers.com will be launched. http://www.the48ers.com/

We will see, how they are going to surprise us. It is alsready known, that the will release resin upgrade sets, PE sets and decals for post-WW2 aircraft.

I am looking forward, which subjects they will treat!

Greetings

Christian

:hmmm:Guess it's the way of the future, Christian. Had I been paranoid, I'd have thought someone's just beaten me to it.

I'm soon opening a modelling store down here which is only oriented to the 1/48th scale aircraft market; anything from kits to tools and stuff (reference material, paint, cement, aftermarkets, decals; everything just for the quarter scale airplane modeller.

Name of the store will be 1/48.

I'm quite interested in that link; thanks!

Cheers,

Henka Kuovalainen

Hi guys,

the48ers.com will kick off as an eShop dedicated to the 1/48 scale, focusing on post WW2 subjects. At a later stage the plan is to expand and develop decals and accessories trying to offer modellers a few more options on selected though subjects.

The reason for launching this project is that - as a modeller myself - I always wanted to be able and look for stuff such as decals and accessories in a single place. Not that someone cannot find a great variety of products in various eShops around the world, but I guess it was more that I was looking for dedication to the 1/48 scale... you may call it obsession :-)

Well, this is exactly what we are trying to set up. A place, where one could - gradually - find a wide variety of  aftermarket products, which can be immediately available and at a fair price.

As the market is flooded with many-many great stuff, the process of adding new products will be a continuous one. As a matter of fact, your ideas are more than welcome in regards to what type of products you maybe looking for. Feel free to use the temporary home page to communicate with us.

Stay tuned and... apologies for the long message,

Ilias
Edited by Ilias

V.P. thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify that the purpose of subscribing via the temporary homepage is to be notified about the Go Live date. There will be no further communication after that.

After going live and should someone wish to receive regular communication regarding the48ers.com activities there will be a formal process of signing up via a newsletter. And obviously one will have the chance to unsubscribe.

Ilias

Fair comment. Between us the target kick-off date is Feb 5. We will try to meet this internal deadline but the resources are limited. Please do not take this as an excuse but I just want to set the right expectations. We work continuously to go live even before then. 

• 1 month later...

We are happy to announce that this coming Saturday, 11 February at 18:00 GMT we plan to launch the48ers.com

We had to wait for a few more days as just the last minute we received a large order with resin, masks and PE parts and we wanted to make these available during the opening. And btw, for the first week we will offer a 20% discount on ALL items.

Our goal is to continuously expand the available products / manufacturers as well as keep a balance between product availability and prices. The products that will be available are decals, masks, resin & photo-etched accessories as well as metal parts specifically for post WW II aircrafts, in 1/48 scale only!

Many thanks,

Ilias

Thanks for asking. We are based in Cyprus (European Union). To begin with, we will ship via Cyprus Post, the reliable and cost effective national post office. Shipements will be available in A Priority (lowest cost airmail), EPG (faster delivery only within EU) as well as EMS / Datapost for global fast deliveries.

Ilias

Thanks Geoff, lots of hard work but we will not stop here. We aim at getting better. 

We are trying to solve a few issues as we speak. For example, to be able and offer the Letter Shipping option for decals and masks to further lower the shipping cost.

So far the platform offers shipping as a parcel only. We are working on it.

Ilias

I did spend some time shopping on your website. i must say that it's a great experience for me... it's such pleasure not to care about the scale... browsing in items intended to men, no hobbit-scale things cluttering the sight!

but sadly, as it's happening often for me, shipping fee was a BIG NONO... the entering ticket was too steep...

(i was to order 2 decal sheets, 2 resin seats, 1 set of resin wheels, 1 Eduard Zoom PE set, 2 montex masks sets, 1 metal pitot... (something that would weight  less than 100gr. and nearly fits in a DVD box...even a padded enveloppe...) but the shipping ends to be 21 USD! ) ) ...i know, it's not a big order, but it has to start somewhere somehow!

while all your pricing is really great (i mean, up to the best European shop prices) the shipping cost gives the British shop a big advantage over you, at least in my situation (being in North America) ...where the same kind of order cost about 5 to 8 sterling pound of shipping... around 50% less shipping cost.  

but i was still really IN to encourage you nonetheless... so i end up buying two decal sets, as an "envelope shipping" option was then offered.

please, don't take my comment as any offense. it's just my feedback. don't feel bad, you just miss 20USD$ sale today... no big deal.

but if i have to order 100$ or more of metal pitot, paint masks, resin seat and wheels to make your "prices+shipping" competitive, you won't have my business often, because i never buy that much small items at once!

thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the order and the comments. This is much appreciated.

Here are my notes to your comments:

"I did spend some time shopping on your website. i must say that it's a great experience for me... it's such pleasure not to care about the scale... browsing in items intended to men, no hobbit-scale things cluttering the sight!"

[Ilias] This is the goal! I am glad we managed to get the vibe :-)

"but sadly, as it's happening often for me, shipping fee was a BIG NONO... the entering ticket was too steep...

(i was to order 2 decal sheets, 2 resin seats, 1 set of resin wheels, 1 Eduard Zoom PE set, 2 montex masks sets, 1 metal pitot... (something that would weight  less than 100gr. and nearly fits in a DVD box...even a padded enveloppe...) but the shipping ends to be 21 USD! ) ) ...i know, it's not a big order, but it has to start somewhere somehow!

while all your pricing is really great (i mean, up to the best European shop prices) the shipping cost gives the British shop a big advantage over you, at least in my situation (being in North America) ...where the same kind of order cost about 5 to 8 sterling pound of shipping... around 50% less shipping cost."

[Ilias] A few notes:

1. The product weight varies from manufacturer to manufacturer so the products that you mention could well weight from 80gr up to 250+gr.

2. Weight is not the only aspect to consider when estimating shipping fees. Volume is something you also have to take into consideration. We could offer the Letter option for items that weight less than 2 kilos but are not "flat" and could "squeeze" them into an envelope. Would someone like to take the risk of starting the project by building... the resin seat back to one piece again? Not to mention that some of the products have a bulky packaging hence they could never fit into a thin envelope (of a DVD size).

3. We do offer the Letter option (in your case for 2 decal sets the shipping cost was 3.70 euro unregistered and I guess comparable with other shops) for items that are flat (decals, masks etc.)

4. We will not negotiate the fact that the items should reach the modeller in one piece (well sometimes in more than one as this is how these are shipped by the manufacturer :-) ) but we will keep on looking for ways to find cheaper options to ship worldwide keeping the same standards.

Thanks for trying the e-shop and most of all sharing your views. We value the latter greatly!

Ilias

I really like your site Ilias!  Very good prices...

I just ordered a whole bunch of seats and pitots from you, and since the order was pretty big the shipping cost was acceptable to me.  Seems it was about the same as Simon's was, despite mine being for 23 items.  So you really have to buy in bulk if you are in North America to make the shipping cost worthwhile.