is anyone doing a better Raptor? AMK/GWH etc

Other than the thunder thigh thick raised panels, it's pretty much perfect...however, thinning it down has proven enough to throw mine on the shelf of doom until a later date I come to my senses...

Jeff

Not to mention the Academy kit is a viable option for something with reduced RAM panel detail. Sure, it may have some slight shape issues, but it builds well. And Revell has us covered in 1/72.

I don't expect to see a new tool 1/48 F-22 anytime soon, not with how expensive such a kit is likely to be (partly due to licensing) and given the relative lack of different paint and decal schemes for it.

I dunno, I'd kind of expect to see one of the Chinese manufacturers to release one within a few years.  And I'd be surprised if Revellogram don't do one - it would be a conspicuous absence in their catalog if they skip it.

Really, there *will* be another F-22 kit, in 1/48, at some point in time.  It's just a matter of when, and from whom.

Revell (and Revell USA) already have a Raptor in 1/72. Sales I imagine aren't stellar, but it is the best 1/72 Raptor out there. Yes, in 1/48 Revell of Germany has the Italeri Raptor, which is not that good.

If Revell USA were to offer a Raptor in 1/48, I would be more likely to believe them importing the Hasegawa kit and reboxing it as a ProModeler offering given their relationship with Hasegawa in Japan.

On 12/28/2016 at 1:51 PM, Jay Chladek said:

Revell (and Revell USA) already have a Raptor in 1/72. Sales I imagine aren't stellar, but it is the best 1/72 Raptor out there. Yes, in 1/48 Revell of Germany has the Italeri Raptor, which is not that good.

If Revell USA were to offer a Raptor in 1/48, I would be more likely to believe them importing the Hasegawa kit and reboxing it as a ProModeler offering given their relationship with Hasegawa in Japan.

I don't think we're going to see many, if any, new aircraft from Revell USA. In talking to the rep, there just aren't subjects that would generate enough sales to warrant the new tooling. What may happen is reworking of the older molds to incorporate engraved detail. That's the direction I gathered Revell USA was going.

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I don't think we're going to see many, if any, new aircraft from Revell USA. In talking to the rep, there just aren't subjects that would generate enough sales to warrant the new tooling. What may happen is reworking of the older molds to incorporate engraved detail. That's the direction I gathered Revell USA was going.

Some of their 48th bombers redone with engraved panel lines would be awesome...B-17, B-24, B-25J, B-26

Well, since my Academy 1/48th Raptor is sitting...lurking....mocking me from the shelf....

What exactly are the problems with the kit? I seem to recall seeing something about the vertical stabs being small(ish), but by how much, and what else needs corrected?

Thanks in advance

Scott

40 minutes ago, jwest21 said:

Some of their 48th bombers redone with engraved panel lines would be awesome...B-17, B-24, B-25J, B-26

I kind of doubt they will do that. To do engraved lines on a kit with raised lines means etching the molds. The last time they did that was on the Monogram P-51B and the results were okay, but not great as it meant the new parts were thicker since recessed lines on plastic means raised lines on the tooling. Very expensive to do that.

As for Revell and new aircraft, I can understand their reluctance. But at the same time, they need to do something more than just unbuilt toys in the form of Star Wars models and beginner car kits or they risk losing market share. So while they won't do much as frequently as they used to, abandoning new subjects completely as opposed to maybe doing one every other year doesn't seem like a smart idea. At the same time, I don't believe a 1/48 Raptor is ever going to be on that list.

6 minutes ago, Jay Chladek said:

I kind of doubt they will do that. To do engraved lines on a kit with raised lines means etching the molds. The last time they did that was on the Monogram P-51B and the results were okay, but not great as it meant the new parts were thicker since recessed lines on plastic means raised lines on the tooling. Very expensive to do that.

Well, actually.... :-)

On 1/3/2017 at 8:30 AM, Darren Roberts said:

A few years back I sent a list of subjects to Ed sexton that I was hoping they would consider re-poping ( there are a number of kits that haven't seen the light of day in years that would be good SSP program releases), as well as existing kits they could tweak to issue additional variants, doing additional parts to do a B-26K counter invader ( there was a rumor they actually tooled the parts, just never released it) was one example. There were few others, but at the moment I can't recall.

On December 27, 2016 at 0:00 AM, DarkKnight said:

beautiful work, at any time did u consider sanding down the raised panels??

Thank you.  It was a pretty tough build, especially for the intakes.  I considered sanding them down, but was afraid to destroy the sharpness of the panels with uneven sanding.  The panels stick out under flash photography, but don't offend too much under daylight.  

I think ink this is the best we're ever going to get.  If you want a Raptor; don't let the panels spoil it for you.  

Chris

19 hours ago, ytsejam87 said:

Darren,   Anything that you can share? I can think of at least 5 kits in Revell/Monograms history that could use that treatment.  If that would happen, I would be in for at least three of each!

Nothing official. I will say that I was asked for information on the F-14 if that means anything. 

37 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Nothing official. I will say that I was asked for information on the F-14 if that means anything. 

Thanks!  I was hoping for a February surprise with the re-release of the F-15C with the Oregon ANG decals.  With revised recessed details.

I am looking forward to the GWH kit, but it does seem to be a bit pricey here in the states.

I think Hasegawa's Raptor is really well engineered; especially the internal structures that made the upper and lower halves really rigid. Although the surface details are excessively pronounced, I believe with careful and even sanding, it is possible to get an excellent rendition of the real thing. I tackled the kit once and lightly sanded the details.

Here are the final pics and the wip.

If I were to do it all over again, and went for an operational camo (and not the rollout scheme), I would sand the details even more. Overall, I'd say it is a great kit and IMO retooling may not justify the expense when sanding is such an easy alternative. Also, I agree with Chris that to the naked eye, the surface details of the kit don't look as pronounced as they do in the close up pics.