Shark Mouth P-47

Dear modelers,

I have recently found a photo of this impressive jug.

This P-47D Sharkmouth-edof 525th FS / 86th FG based in Grossetto Italy, October 1944 - pilot: Lt. Riley “Mo” Stewart;
I wonder if there is more photo of this particular airframe, I'd like to complete it in 1/72  with custom decals

a48-006c%201_zpsswvq20qq.jpg

Shark_Mouth_525thFS86thF_zpsxaakhnbu.jpg

Edited by omar
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 3:49 PM, jwest21 said:

Montex masks makes masks for this, but unfortunately only in 48th and 32nd

Great now you are costing me more money.  Looks like yet another P-47 to put on the build list. Have to get another Tamiya kit too I guess. 

I found the Montex Masks on line as well as at the Montex site itself. Interesting that the yellow bands are not indicated. It is difficult to see if those photos show it. I do like the yellow though.

On 1/4/2017 at 6:39 PM, falcon20driver said:

I just ordered the Montex Masks for my for my 1/32 Trumpeter kit I'm building right now.

Just be aware that the serial number on the Montex sheet is I believe incorrect - 42-76973 is not a P-47 number - this aircraft is a P-47D-16-RE serial number 42-75973.

Yellow stripes was a 57th FG unit marking.

Unless this P-47D came from them I say no on the stripes and don't look like there is in the photo as someone else stated.

It does seem like there is a larger number painted out where the 22 is. Large numbers was a 325th FG thing, educated guess on this though.

Rick

5 hours ago, rpeck said:

Yellow stripes was a 57th FG unit marking.

Unless this P-47D came from them I say no on the stripes and don't look like there is in the photo as someone else stated.

It does seem like there is a larger number painted out where the 22 is. Large numbers was a 325th FG thing, educated guess on this though.

Rick

I came to the same conclusion here  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014180-shark-mouth-p-47/#comment-2584184

I haven't worked out what this airframe was marked up as in the 325th though as they were not over keen on painting the serial number on when they had the checkers. . The site I linked to in that post only lists the aircraft with the 86th so no help there.

Of course that assuming they haven't been really sloppy painting over the numbers and it's the slightly smaller numbers used by the 57th FG. I stil think the 325tb is more likely.

Though without any picture evidence I wouldn't add the yellow lines either.

Edited by Tbolt
  • 2 weeks later...