RF-84 Ejection Seat

Depends on what version / user country you want to build. AFAIK Italy and Germany and different ones and when Turkey or Greece got their second hand RF-84 it also depends from whom they got it.

You can check AMS resin for seats, they make the different seats for F-84F (and so for the RF, too).

Short answer is yes.  However, it depends on what block aircraft you are building.  Up to block 55 aircraft the seat is essentially the same as the E and G.  Past block 55 it is the seat in the link provided above.  I believe all of the block 55 aircraft and greater were used in Europe and would have the later seat. RF-84F block numbers only go to 46.  If you are building a German, Turkish, Danish, and possibly Norwegien RF they were retrofitted with Martin Baker MK5's.  Addtionally US Air National Guard RF's were also retrofitted with the late style seat provided in the link above.  I obtained this information from the Aerofax book on the F-84F/RF and the Detail and Scale book on the early straight wing models. Comparing photos and drawings the seat is the same for the E/G/early F.  If using the early seat be sure and put the armored plate on the back of the headrest.  The Monogram kit has the later style seat and is nicely detailed.

Edited by efd327
left out a small detail.

Another thing worth considering is the thin cut Tamiya style tapes that have been issued lately in the 2 to 3mm variety can be used to good effect to make ejection seat harnesses. I use them in conjunction with a white glue mixture to tack them to the seat and put in some folds. Yes, it can be tedious to use (perhaps more so than some cockpit photo etch sets), but it allows you to use kit seats more and theoretically it keeps the model within "out of the box" standards at contests as tape seatbelts are allowed. Granted some belt configurations can be pretty complex, but one can get pretty creative with tape belts these days.

12 hours ago, jimm33 said:

Correct you are, Don! The sets are rather pricey though so I'll probably go with the kit seat and add some belts from my leftovers. Thanks again though!

Jim

I've always thought they were a bit pricey, but then with my budget, I need to be frugal, so I can never tell about pricing like that...v:sunrevolves:

• 10 months later...
On 12/30/2016 at 6:15 PM, jimm33 said:

Correct you are, Don! The sets are rather pricey though so I'll probably go with the kit seat and add some belts from my leftovers. Thanks again though!

Jim

The reason they are bit pricey is that they contain more than just a cockpit, they include a proper exhaust and nose wheel bays, (for the F-84F), and in the RF variants I include the intake splitters as well. I have completed a small set for the Tan RF with exhaust, main wheels, and corrected outer aileron that pushes the inner flaps closer into the fuselage, closing the gap that you will find there.

I also make all three ejection seats that they used. 

The early type, but with the built in head armor, the AMI seat and the MB seat. Pm me if anyone needs them.

Edited by Harold