1/72 ICM MiG-25

With my B-52 in the Heavies GB nearing completion, I'll be joining this GB with the 1/72 ICM MiG-25. I've read it's not one of the easiest kits to build, but I like a challenge. So, I'll give it my best shot.

qetDgSN.jpg

Let the fun begin.

Mike

I decided to take the day off today, so I spent part of the day working on the build. I started on the front half and was able to get it completed as it was a pretty straight forward build. I'll get the cockpit painted with my own interpretation of the color, not too worried about accuracy. After reading and hearing about the flimsy landing gear, I'm going make this an In-Flight build. Haven't decided if I'll have a pilot or just tint the canopy.

UpGrw1M.jpg

Now, the main body of the kit may be a bit of a challenge. There are six pieces that make up the body (the other tail piece is not shown in the pic), and the pieces don't assemble well nor have very good connection joints. I've also read and have heard this is the downside to this kit. I'll make some stiffeners to hopefully make the assembly go smoother and give the body some rigidity. 

5wN7EnE.jpg

Thanks for looking in and Happy New Year!

Mike

Well, so far the body assembly wasn't as bad as I had expected. I have the front quarter panels, back and front bulkheads assembled. I did add styrene strips to strengthen the joints.

wkGPXUu.jpg

gIE4uFj.jpg

Next up I'll be adding the rear quarter panels and the fuselage top. 

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I made a little progress on this build. I have attached the rear quarter panels and fuselage top. There was a significant step where the front and rear quarter panels meet. It was definitely a result of my doing, next time I won't glue the rear edge of the front quarter panel to the back bulkhead. Anyway, after some scraping, puttying and sanding, I got the offensive steps somewhat smoothed out. I've also attached the front half of the fuselage to the body. 

UhHog6z.jpg

The fit on the underside where the front half of the fuselage attaches to the body is ugly. I have some work to do here....

4o4j6ZE.jpg

More scraping, puttying and sanding! 

Until next time, thanks for looking in.

Mike