Revell Snap And Play Star Destroyer

just posting a few pics of my current build of this Revell Star Destroyer. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the kit so I won't go into much about it other than it's really really good for a snap "toy". Details are fairly crisp and convincing enough. Not totally screen accurate but good enough. I'm not going to do much other than add a few bits and pieces here and there to give it a little more depth in the details. I also want to dress up the domes so playing with a couple of options. First shot is using thin thin sheet plastic and adding the frames (I think this is more accurate) and the second option is using small dia. rods. I think I'm going with the first option. I'll post more when I get a change. Critiques, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

IMAG0868_zpsnefip4qf.jpg

IMAG0866_zpss9vpqkpr.jpg

IMAG0865_zps3gcge11u.jpg

IMAG0867_zpseohllvbv.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by niart17

Hi John. It definitely could be lit, and I was planning on doing that until I decided to order the larger Zvezda Star Destroyer kit and figured I'd just use this as a study sample and painting exercise. It does come with a light and sound module that has 3 LED's for the main engines but they are blue and the sounds are rather lame so I am leaving that out. If one were to light it I think the only area that would be a little tricky is routing the lights to the island upper section. Not terribly hard, just would take a little planning. Also, I think it would be hard to light the smaller raised areas in front of the main superstructure. For this build I think just simply adding of a few details and hopefully a decent paint job and this will be fine. 

Oh yeah, as for scale. Officially it doesn't list a scale but I've heard the number 1/4000 thrown around. It's just shy of 16" long and slightly larger than the old MPC kit so I think that's about right if understand correctly.

Bill

Edited by niart17

It's a nice kit, mine went together in about a half hour. 

Agreed, better than the old AMT kit.  So close to having potential for serious modelers!  The shortcomings can be corrected.

Waiting for that Zvezda kit myself.  I hear Revel Germany might be reboxing it this spring.

I've done a little more work on this. I found a pic online of some different type guns on a Star Destroyer. I'm not up to speed on all the different variations and filming models so I don't know where these are from but I liked the look of them better than the flat-ish looking ones from the models I've seen so I may try to replicate these somewhat to give it more visual interest. If anyone has any insight as to what these are from I'd love to learn about it. Is it maybe the difference between the larger model and the smaller 3' one?

14267401445_b829254dfe_b_zpsguunvigu.jpg

IMAG0869_zps5045x44l.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bill

It's the Devastator from Star Wars IV. I found the picture on Replica Prop Forum. It's actually a model of the the 3 foot miniature. The builder tried to make it accurate to the filming model. His build is here:  http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=116225&page=14  There's also a link on this page to some shots of the actual miniature. This guy did a phenomenal job replicating the original.  

Thanks jbryan, yes he did an AMAZING job on that build. I kind of wish I didn't see it though cause now I want to try to replicate it when my Zvezda SD comes in...hopeless I'm afraid. For sure I like the looks of those guns much better than the bofers-ish looking flat ones on the kit.

Bill