The usual Christmas flying at Lakenheath.

Hi Gents,

Never trust the UK weather forecast! The two flying days over Christmas/New Years were the 28th and 29th, and both were forecast to be days of freezing fog here in the South East so I thought that nothing is going to fly in that weather, which was a shame as one of the guys on here was over for Christmas and was planning on visiting the bases yesterday. I didn't go over, partly because of the weather and also because I'd caught the Christmas bug that's going around. I gather yesterday started off okay at Lakenheath so they launched, then recalled them all as the fog rolled in with the final pair diverting to Spangdahlem in Germany as they couldn't get in. Today was meant to be the same, so still feeling poorly I looked out this morning to see blue skies and perfect visibility! So sod it, I grabbed the kit, threw it in the car and went over late morning. Given that the 48th is prone to early starts I expected to have missed most of the days activity but was again surprised to find that the pair taxiing out when I got there at around 10:30 were the first flight of the day. Looks like they got caught out by the forecast as well.  Turned out rather good after all.

As usual, the 493rd were the first out and with them being stripped of their tanks they were also the first back, although the 100th ARW had a tanker out from Mildenhall that was working Lakenheath flights during the morning. Nice to see that 86-0159 still retains it's Serbian Mig-29 star. 86-0156 is back in the US at Warner Robins AFB on overhaul so not sure if it will get it's two stars put back on when it comes back.

IMG_2343_zpscuyslqqh.jpg

IMG_2370_zpsps9nbtwg.jpg

IMG_2350_zpsjt3cjxmb.jpg

IMG_2491_zpsbnac2od6.jpg

IMG_2517_zps7jqtbklp.jpg

IMG_2576_zpsz4egkcfz.jpg

IMG_2541_zpscidevn8y.jpg

IMG_2667_zpspibv3m1e.jpg

These two below were the 494th pair returning who diverted to Spangdahlem yesterday as 'Shifty' flight when they were caught out by the weather.

IMG_2701_zps0rwtogid.jpg

IMG_2648_zpsljktbvjo.jpg

IMG_2644_zpss7glqgqn.jpg

IMG_2780_zpsnhyzcgdc.jpg

IMG_2735_zpssnkb7qxk.jpg

IMG_2748_zpszwvuvm0v.jpg

The final flight of the afternoon caught some interesting light upon returning. Lakenheath's SOF had advised them to have a 'good one' upon departure as they were the last sortie from the base in 2016.

IMG_2841_zpsdfxsrb29.jpg

IMG_2851_zpsubssdnzu.jpg

IMG_2824_zpschmljwmz.jpg

IMG_2886_zpsqrfjndq6.jpg

The last F-15 recovery of 2016 at Lakenheath.

IMG_2892_zpsz0ghobsd.jpg

Gary