Dumb(?) kit storage question...

Hey Everyone,

First off, Happy New Year.  Its almost here!

As part of my New Year's resolution I'm trying to clean up and organize my stash...as of right now there is a lot more than I remember buying...

As I was organizing I've been trying to lay my kits flat but I'm running out of space fast and would be able to store more if I put them on their sides standing vertically be it on the long or short side of the box...is there any detrimental effects for indefinitely storing them like that?  I assume no right?  Am I just being cray-cray?

Thanks!!!

Eddie

Truthfully mine are stored both ways for years, I have not noticed anything. Might also depend on the temp, room temp no worries, my storage unit and my shed are outside in anywhere from -40 to +100 and my biggest worry is the moisture and humidity. Resin would be my main worry with the heat. 

4 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

Truthfully mine are stored both ways for years, I have not noticed anything. Might also depend on the temp, room temp no worries, my storage unit and my shed are outside in anywhere from -40 to +100 and my biggest worry is the moisture and humidity. Resin would be my main worry with the heat. 

Whoa, good to know that temp range doesn't warp your kits.  I was thinking of putting stuff in my basement as well and I certainly dont have to deal with temp fluctuation as that big.  

Anyone else out there storing their kits in various box orientations?

As long as the kit box is sturdy and the box you're using to store them is heavy duty you'll be fine. I've been storing kits since the late 90's in various weather from -25 to 119 in both humid and dry climates at sea level and well over a mile high, no issues. Now with some kits I did take out the decals and have kept them inside.

8 hours ago, camaroz06 said:

As I was organizing I've been trying to lay my kits flat but I'm running out of space fast and would be able to store more if I put them on their sides standing vertically be it on the long or short side of the box...is there any detrimental effects for indefinitely storing them like that?  I assume no right?  Am I just being cray-cray?

I have mine stored vertically in large cardboard boxes, organized by subject/manufacturer.  I haven't noticed any negative effects.

8 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

As long as the kit box is sturdy and the box you're using to store them is heavy duty you'll be fine. I've been storing kits since the late 90's in various weather from -25 to 119 in both humid and dry climates at sea level and well over a mile high, no issues. Now with some kits I did take out the decals and have kept them inside.

Good to know. Srs

Storing kits in 100+ degree temperatures for extended periods of time can be very hard on decals.  Temperatures have to get about 130 or higher to warp the plastic.  If you store the kits in a basement with high humidity, seal the decals in a plastic storage bag.

1 hour ago, yardbird78 said:

Storing kits in 100+ degree temperatures for extended periods of time can be very hard on decals.  Temperatures have to get about 130 or higher to warp the plastic.  If you store the kits in a basement with high humidity, seal the decals in a plastic storage bag.

I take it a step further and store them in ammo cans with the oversized ones going in a sealable hard container. I bought a hundred of those silica gel bags from eBay and toss them in. Humidity and decals/instructions don't mix. 

2 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

I bought a hundred of those silica gel bags from eBay and toss them in.

Down that line I started storing using something called DampRid. You can find it at Lowes, Wal Mart, Home Depot etc. They sell it in a packs you can hang from a closet pole or in plastic pails that can be either tossed or refilled. A buddy of mine hangs one in his old pickup that mostly sits and it absorbs the humidity out of the cab. I have a couple of pails I keep in the storage unit with the toters and dump out the water they collect. The kits with the decals I want to use are stuffed in the closet.Even with the DampRid, I'd still seal the decals/instructions in a freezer bag. 

Edited by Jim S