Ok...who had the flu this season?

I'm just getting over 4 days in bed with the flu....it always feels like a near death experience and I'm always amazed I survive.

My flu this year is odd in that there was no vomiting.

I did wake up one morning at the worst with sunlight blazing through my white bedroom curtains and wondered for a sec if that was the "bright light" you see after death.  I rolled over and ignored it to be on the safe side.

I haven't had the flu in so long that I can't even remember when I last had a case of it.

Been a good 30+ years I am sure.  Get my flu shot each year.  Feel for you though Steve.

:cheers:

Jerry

I got a flu shot, but I still got some kind of upper respiratory bug that took me out of commission for a full week back in October.  My right ear has been plugged up and full of fluid ever since.  Aftet trying several different meds, I finally saw an ENT doc last week..he's gonna put a tube in and drain it in a couple weeks.  It'll be good to have my hearing back..I've been about 50% deaf on the right side for three months..feels like half my head is underwater!

SN

We had two rounds of it through here. I got it, then gave it to Anne. we both got over it, and then one of our singing friends got a different strain than our local one from a friend of their's that came down from Michigan. So then, through the joys of the microphone screen,,,,,,we all got that strain.

So, the first strain took 14 days to get through, we had a week off, and then the second strain took 2 weeks to get over. LOL, we had a lot of jokes floating around between sick people that it takes 14 days to get over it, and 2 weeks if you go see a doctor. (old sixties saying from our grandpas)

Hi Steve; there's usually a load of 'interesting' things doing the rounds this time of year -those with kids of school age are the prime target since our Seats of Learning are wonderful channels for the spread of viruses. The viral arthritis that knocked me out of the StarFish GB a couple of years ago was a hideous thing that struck over Christmas and because I was working super-hard to get the wherewithal to move back near London, I stupidly ignored it until it slapped me down like a gutted fish. Normally this household manages to dodge the winter nasties, but you can only ride your luck for so long!

So, very sorry to hear you were stricken at the Festive Season, but you definitely did the right thing by going into standby and letting it take its course. Hope you're well on the mend and getting set for a stupendous New Year! One final word to the wise: do NOT rush the recovery process -the immune system is likely a half-open door after a spell like this; take an extra day or two before kicking the tires 'n' lighting the fires!

Very Best from us all here. :salute:

I've got some kind of lung crap. Had it for about 10 days now, and pretty much have been near death. Finally took Friday off of work and went to doc, only to be told that (of course) it was viral and there was pretty much nothing but time that could be done about it. So, I'm waiting to see if I either die or get better. Either would be fine with me at this point...

Aaron 

I had a Flu Shot does that count :dontknow:.  I sometimes get Bronchitis but have not had a battle in a few years. knock wood..That crap knocks me out for almost a week . I don't wish getting sick on anyone... except those I really, really dislike:rolleyes:  so here's to a year without extra sickness cause me Man I got enough health issues without being sick....:cheers:

I received my annual flu shot and then proceeded to get hand, foot, mouth disease and two bouts of something that took me out for a couple weeks. Don't know if any of it was influenza, I blame my oldest and his preschool.  

16 hours ago, k5ikl said:

I haven't had the flu in so long that I can't even remember when I last had a case of it.

Been a good 30+ years I am sure.  Get my flu shot each year.  Feel for you though Steve.

:cheers:

Jerry

Me too, can't even recall even having a cold in the last 10-15yrs.  And I've never had a flu shot.

I got a couple of chest infections that required anti-biotics when I did serious triathlon training, I think from riding in sub-zero temps, but those days are over for me now & my exercise regime is much shorter & sharper, & I no longer need to train in ridiculous weather.

I am batting something that has me really fatigued, dizzy at times, not the greatest stomach wise and achy. I hate cold and flu season and since I teach I am surrounded by dozens of little sick people every day. As an aside it amazes me how many parents send their kid(s) to school when the poor kid can barely stand from being so sick.

Haven't had the actual flu since I had the pig flu six years ago. Haven't really had colds or anything since I started getting allergy treatment about 3 years ago. I will never get a flu shot. Young kids bring home everything from school so you grow immune to practically anything they can throw at you.  

Had the lu back in november. A very mild form, seems the F couldn`t make it so i recovered quickly. Guess getting the flu is just the bodys natural

way of resetting itself and the immune system after a long year. I suppose you should start to worry if you don`t get the flu every year or two. I never

take any flu shots, medicine or anything. Best to let the body deal with it naturally. Riding out the storm in other words. Happy new year !  

2 hours ago, Don said:

I am batting something that has me really fatigued, dizzy at times, not the greatest stomach wise and achy. I hate cold and flu season and since I teach I am surrounded by dozens of little sick people every day. As an aside it amazes me how many parents send their kid(s) to school when the poor kid can barely stand from being so sick.

Parents usually don't want to stay home or arrange alternate day care. Sad, but I've seen it many times.

The "flu", or influenza, isn't a single virus, but a never ending series of viruses. Your annual flu shot contains several inactivated virus strains, determined several months before as to what would be the most likely strains to show up. While most of the time it's a good guess, sometimes a strain shows up that wasn't anticipated. You can go years without getting the flu, and you can also catch it over and over and over. It's all in who you come in contact with and how well your individual immune system handles a particular strain. Most healthy individuals will feel miserable, but especially virulent strains can take down a healthy adult easier than one with a compromised immune system, as it can trigger your defences in ways that actually kill you. Fortunately, those strains are few and far between.
People get really annoyed when I won't shake hands at Christmastime. In a store. Yeah, sorry, I don't feel like catching/passing on stuff. 
To everyone with the flu, get well soon. To everyone without the flu, may it pass you by this year!

Alvis 3.1

No Flu here thank goodness, partly because I got a flu shot in October. I can be prone to infections though with my mild asthma, which my normal meds tend to mask sometimes. A couple things that seem to be helping with that though is I make sure to use a good mouthwash before going to sleep since the alcohol in it seems to help sterilize my mouth and once I get to work and start my shift at the call center, I suck on a Zicam zinc tablet as a "just in case". So thankfully all I have had to this point is maybe a slightly dry cough for a day or two. If something festers for over a week, I typically contact my doctor to get an anti-biotic since I have had enough of these bugs to know when it is likely a secondary infection and not the original one.

4 hours ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

People get really annoyed when I won't shake hands at Christmastime. In a store. Yeah, sorry, I don't feel like catching/passing on stuff. 

That is annoying. Purell hand sanitizer?

I always find it amusing to hear someone say they've got "stomach flu."  As DutyCat says, there's no such thing..Influenza is respiratory.   Most of the time what people call "stomach flu" is actually a foodborne bug of some sort.

SN

46 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

That is annoying. Purell hand sanitizer?

We've gone through a couple 55 gallon drums of the stuff. I swear if smoking was still allowed in stores, we'd have all be blown up long ago.
I think next year I'm going to wear blue latex surgical gloves. 

Alvis 3.1

1 hour ago, Steve N said:

I always find it amusing to hear someone say they've got "stomach flu."  As DutyCat says, there's no such thing..Influenza is respiratory.   Most of the time what people call "stomach flu" is actually a foodborne bug of some sort.

SN

It is usually a Norovirus, although you certainly can get it from food contamination,  it is HIGHLY contagious and usually spread through simple contact.  If someone in your family gets it, STAY AWAY FROM them.  I got sick and then it blew through my family like a hurricane.  We fell like domino's.  It was awful.

4 hours ago, DutyCat said:

It is usually a Norovirus, although you certainly can get it from food contamination,  it is HIGHLY contagious and usually spread through simple contact.  If someone in your family gets it, STAY AWAY FROM them.  I got sick and then it blew through my family like a hurricane.  We fell like domino's.  It was awful.

I had that one year...worst experience ever.

Through K12 and college, I constantly battled a runny nose and perpetual sneezing. I used to come down with the flu at least once a year. 

Haven't had the flu for over 15-20 years (knock on wood). The single most critical change from the old days to now has been exercising. If I am able to regularly break a sweat, I hardly ever get sick let alone the flu. To the contrary, if I don't exercise for an extended period of time (1-2 months), I may catch a cold and I usually suffer for about 5-6 days. I don't know why exercising helps but I guess it boosts the immune system? 

P.S. I don't get the flu shot either. I think I might have gotten it two or three times in my entire life. 

Edited by Janissary