1/48 Kittyhawk SH-2G Super Seasprite

2 hours ago, K5054NZ said:

Fantastic detail work, Pappy! This is a wonderful build to follow.

Calum - I'm going to the Air Tattoo too, Saturday only unless they announce something amazing. Can't wait.

Good, take some internal pics of the cabin of the SH-2G(I) for me,

cheers Zac

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

G'day people,

DSCN4424_zpsshn4nnfn.jpg

I have inched forward again,

KH have simplified the rotor blades. The Seasprite family have distinctive pitch flaps near the end the main rotor blades and each one has its own actuator rod. This detail is missing from the kit blades. I have attached the pitch flaps and will add the rods later but I did make a small 'slot' that the rod will emerge from before the flaps were attached.

DSCN4409_zpstw3sdcpo.jpg

I have also added a few more bits to the tail rotor. KH have made a pretty decent job of  this and all the pitch change linkages are supplied separately - noice!

DSCN4411_zpsy90estqp.jpg

The instructions would have you attach the cross shaped pitch linkage thingy straight over the tail rotor hub. Tt actually has some pitch linkages but on my example they were uneven 'nubs and over scale. It just didn't look right. I sanded off the nubs and drilled holes for some finer pitch linkages made from stretched sprue. Some additional details were added as well

DSCN4410_zpsdchlks5a.jpg

The doghouse assembly is just  bout complete now,

DSCN4412_zpsugqcurq4.jpg

DSCN4415_zpsfa9h9bjg.jpg

Finally I have managed to close up the fuselage. The fit was generally okay but for some reason with choppers, I always seem to get a small step on the fuselage underside. I added putty and sanded, there were a few problem areas. The pics show the second putty application which needs to harden before I can sand it. The kit actually does not need much filler, but I like to go over the putty with surface primer, so it looks worse that it actually is,

DSCN4419_zps9yu6apc9.jpg

There is also a thingy mounted on the upper right fuselage  forwards of the tail. The item is not seen on all Polish Navy choppers but it is a different shape to Part A28. It needs to be fatter and more rounded. I  added thick plastic card to three sides and sanded it to shape. It is not perfect but it looks closer to my refs

DSCN4417_zpsnwha1yqe.jpg

DSCN4418_zpsoguvmv6p.jpg

One more annoying thing I need to fix. KH has moulded these aft sensors at the same height on both sides. The one on the right side should be higher.

DSCN4425_zpsx1t6xfku.jpg

DSCN4426_zpsr8itc1cd.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
On 04/06/2017 at 6:59 PM, Grandboof said:

Good to see this progressing 

Martin H

On 05/06/2017 at 1:09 AM, ice225 said:

Great progress! I really like the doghouse.

Thanks gents,

A little more progress this weekend.

First up, the overhead canopy panel

DSCN4438_zpspsbefnjj.jpg

Fit was good, it just needed a little sanding here and there to get a crisp fit. KH have divvied up the front glass into 4 separate panels so I hope it will all meet and play nice when the time comes to assemble it all. I also sanded off teh right side RWR sensor, it was sitting at the same height as the left one which is incorrect. This is the base plate of what will become the new Right hand sensor

DSCN4439_zpsepxoc4pw.jpg

Next up the underside view with the underside furniture added - note the scratched ADF antenna which has been added

DSCN4441_zpswdcp4jdw.jpg

The forward sensor dome (temp fitted here) hides an otherwise ugly seam

DSCN4442_zpsbrxoe3ko.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• 9 months later...

Hi Pappy,

Looking good. I'm going nuts however trying to source the correct FS colors for the US Navy version. They seem wrong in the instructions. These seem more appropriate for Marine helicopters.

Help would be very much appreciated.